- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Identification of Novel SNPs in Bovine Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-3 (IGFBP3) Gene
Kim, J.Y.;Yoon, D.H.;Park, B.L.;Kim, L.H.;Na, K.J.;Choi, J.G.;Cho, C.Y.;Lee, H.K.;Chung, E.R.;Sang, B.C.;Cheong, I.J.;Oh, S.J.;Shin, Hyoung Doo
- Received : 2003.09.08
- Accepted : 2004.02.09
- Published : 2005.01.01
The insulin-like growth factors (IGFs), their receptors, and their binding proteins play key roles in regulating cell proliferation and apoptosis. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3, OMIM #146732) is one of the proteins that bind to the IGFs. IGFBP3 is a modulator of IGF bioactivity, and direct growth inhibitor in the extravascular tissue compartment. We identified twenty-two novel single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in IGFBP3 gene in Korean cattle (Hanwoo, Bos taurus coreanae) by direct sequencing of full gene including -1,500 bp promoter region. Among the identified SNPs, five common SNPs were screened in 650 Korean cattle; one SNP in promoter (IGFBP3 G-854C), one in 5'UTR region (IGFBP3 G-100A), two in intron 1 (IGFBP3 G+421T, IGFBP3 T+1636A), and one in intron 2 (IGFBP3 C+3863A). The frequencies of each SNP were 0.357 (IGFBP3 G-854C), 0.472 (IGFBP3 G-100A), 0.418 (IGFBP3 G+421T), 0.363 (IGFBP3 T+1636A) and 0.226 (IGFBP3 C+3863A), respectively. Haplotypes and their frequencies were estimated by EM algorithm. Six haplotypes were constructed with five SNPs and linkage disequilibrium coefficients (|D'|) between SNP pairs were also calculated. The information on SNPs and haplotypes in IGFBP3 gene could be useful for genetic studies of this gene.
Insulin-like Growth Factor Binding Protein-3 (IGFBP3);Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP);Haplotype;Linkage Disequilibrium (LD)
- Ferry, R. J., Jr., R. W. Cerri and P. Cohen. 1999. Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins: new proteins, new functions. Horm. Res. 51(2):53-67.
- Ferry, R. J., Jr., L. E. Katz, A. Grimberg, P. Cohen and S. A. Weinzimer. 1999. Cellular actions of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins. Horm. Metab. Res. 31(2-3):192-202.
- Phillips, L. S., C. I. Pao and B. C. Villafuerte. 1998. Molecular regulation of insulin-like growth factor-I and its principal binding protein, IGFBP3. Prog. Nucleic Acid Res. Mol. Biol. 60:195-265.
- Valentinis, B., A. Bhala, T. DeAngelis, R. Baserga and P. Cohen. 1995. The human insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-3 inhibits the growth of fibroblasts with a targeted disruption of the IGF-I receptor gene. Mol. Endocrinol. 9(3):361-367.
- D'Ercole, A. J. 1987. Somatomedins/insulin-like growth factors and fetal growth. J. Dev. Physiol. 9(6):481-495.
- Ryu, Y., J. Yang, D. Seo, and Y. Ko. 2003. Effect of Serum IGF-I on Progesterone Concentration during Early Pregnancy in Korean Native Cattle (Hanwoo). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(1):176-179.
- Oh, Y., H. L. Muller, G. Lamson and R. G. Rosenfeld. 1993. Insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-independent action of IGFbinding protein-3 in Hs578T human breast cancer cells. Cell surface binding and growth inhibition. J. Biol. Chem. 268(20):14964-14971.
- Baxter, R. C. 1993. IGF binding protein-3 and the acid-labile subunit: formation of the ternary complex in vitro and in vivo. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 343:237-244.
- Stewart, C. E. and P. Rotwein. 1996. Growth, differentiation, and survival: multiple physiological functions for insulin-like growth factors. Physiol. Rev. 76(4):1005-1026.
- Liu, F., D. R. Powell and R. L. Hintz. 1990. Characterization of insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins in human serum from patients with chronic renal failure. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 70(3):620-628.
- Jones, J. I. and D. R. Clemmons. 1995. Insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins: biological actions. Endocr. Rev. 16(1):3-34.
- Maciulla, J. H., H. M. Zhang and S. K. DeNise. 1997. A novel polymorphism in the bovine insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) gene. Anim. Genet. 28(5):375.
- Thue, T. D. and F. C. Buchanan. 2002. A new polymorphism in the cattle IGFBP3 gene. Anim. Genet. 33(3):242.
- Kappes, S. M., J. W. Keele, R. T. Stone, R. A. McGraw, T. S. Sonstegard, T. P. Smith, N. L. Lopez-Corrales and C. W. Beattie. 1997. A second-generation linkage map of the bovine genome. Genome. Res. 7(3):235-249.
- Hedrick, P. W. 1987. Gametic disequilibrium measures: proceed with caution. Genetics 117(2):331-341.
- Clemmons, D. R. 1993. IGF binding proteins and their functions. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 35(4):368-74; discussion 374-375. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrd.1080350409
- Clemmons, D. R. 1997. Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins and their role in controlling IGF actions. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 8(1):45-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6101(96)00053-6
- Collett-Solberg, P. F. and P. Cohen. 1996. The role of the insulinlike growth factor binding proteins and the IGFBP proteases in modulating IGF action. Endocrinol. Metab. Clin. North Am. 25(3):591-614.
- Thissen, J. P., J. M. Ketelslegers and L. E. Underwood. 1994. Nutritional regulation of the insulin-like growth factors. Endocr. Rev. 15(1):80-101.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration