- Volume 18 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
In vitro Fermentation of Rumen Microorganisms Cultured in Medium Supplemented with Bacterio-mineral Water (BMW) Produced from Bio-reacted Swine Manure
- Kim, Chang-Hyun (Department of Animal Life and Resources, Hankyong National University) ;
- Park, Joong Kook (The Graduate School of Bio- and Information Technology, Hankyong National Univeristy) ;
- Lee, Gi Yeong (The Graduate School of Bio- and Information Technology, Hankyong National Univeristy) ;
- Seo, In Joon (Wootech Inc.)
- Received : 2004.02.15
- Accepted : 2005.04.13
- Published : 2005.10.01
Bacterio-mineral water (BMW) produced from manure has been known to exert a number of positive effects on animal production and odor control. An experiment was conducted to examine the effects of BMW produced from bio-reacted swine manure on in vitro gas production, cellulose degradation, microbial growth and fibrolytic enzyme activities of mixed rumen microorganisms. The five levels of 0, 0.001, 0.005, 0.01 and 1.0% BMW were supplemented into serum vials containing mixed rumen microorganisms. Incubations were carried out anaerobically at
Bacterio-mineral Water;Rumen Fermentation;Mixed Rumen Microorganisms
Supported by : Hankyong National University
- Bryant, M. P. and L. A. Burkey. 1953. Cultural methods and some characteristics of some of the more numerous groups of bacteria in the bovine rumen. J. Dairy Sci. 36:205-217.
- Lee, S. S. and J. K. Ha. 2003. Influences of surfactant Tween 80 on the gas production, cellulose digestion and enzyme activities by mixed rumen microorganisms. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1151-1157.
- Miller, T. L. and M. J. Wolin. 1974. A serum bottle modification of the Hungate technique for cultivating obligate anaerobes. Appl. Microbiol. 27:985-987.
- SAS. 1996. Statistical analysis systems user’s guide: Statistics. SAS Institute. Inc., Cary, NC. USA.
- Shon, Y.-H., K.-S. Nam and M.-K. Kim. 2004. Cancer chemorpreventive potential of Scenedesmus spp. cultured in medium containing bioreacted swine urine. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 14:158-161.
- Hungate, R. E. 1950. The anaerobic mesophylic cellulolytic bacteria. Bacteriol. Rev. 14:1-49.
- Fedorak, P. M. and S. E. Hrwdey. 1983. A simple apparatus for measuring gas production by methanogenic cultures in serum bottles. Environ. Technol. Lett. 4:425-432.
- Theodorou, M. K., D. R. David, B. B. Nielsen, M. I. G. Lawrence, and A. P. J. Trinci. 1995. Determination of growth of anaerobic fungi on soluble and cellulosic substrates using a pressure transducer. Microbiolgy 141:671-678.
- Lee, S. S., B. H. Ahn, H. S. Kim, C.-H. Kim, K.-J. Cheng and J. K. Ha. 2003. Effects of non-ionic surfactants on enzyme distributions of rumen contents, anaerobic growth of rumen microbes, rumen fermentation characteristics and performances of lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:104-115.
- Theodorou, M. K., B. A. Williams, M. S. Dhanoa, A. B. McAllan and J. France. 1994. A simple gas production method using a pressure transducer to determine the fermentation kinetics of ruminant feeds. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 48:185-197.
- Beuvink, J. M. W. and S. F. Spoelstra. 1992. Interactions between substrate, fermentation end-products, buffering systems and gas production upon fermentation of different carbohydrates by mixed rumen microorganisms in vitro. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 37:505-509.
- Dehority, B. A. 1963. Isolation and characterization of several cellulolytic bacteria from in vitro rumen fermentations. J. Dairy Sci. 46:217.
- Duncan, D. B. 1995. Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics. 11:1-42.
- Miller, G. L. 1959. Use of dinitrosalycilic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Analytical chemistry. 31:426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Theodorou, M. K., D. R. Daivies, B. B. Nielsen, M. I. G. Lawrence and A. P. J. Trinci. 1998. Principles of techniques that rely on gas measurement in ruminant nutrition. In: In vitro Techniques for Measuring Nutrient Supply to Ruminants. (Ed. E. R. Deaville, E. Owen, A. T. Adesogan, C. Remyer, J. A. Huntington and T. L. J. Lawrence). Occasional publication, No. 22. British Society of Animal Science, UK. pp. 55-63.
- Nagasaki, H. 2002. BMW - A wastewater treatment system (in Korean). Sola International Korea. Co., Korea.
- Rymer, C. and D. I. Givens. 2002. Relationships between patterns of rumen fermentation measured in sheep and in situ degradability and the in vitro gas production profile of the diet. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 101:31-44.
- Effect of bacteria-mineral water produced from bio-reacted fowl dung on seed germination of wheat (Triticum aestivum) and rice (Oryza sativa L.) vol.27, pp.1, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.10244