- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Dietary Chitosan-Alginate-Fe(II) Complex on Meat Quality of Pig Longissimus Muscle during Ageing
- Park, B.Y. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Kim, J.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Cho, S.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Hwang, I.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Jung, O.S. (Ecobio Inc. Chonnam Univ.) ;
- Kim, Y.K. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Lee, J.M. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA) ;
- Yun, S.G. (National Livestock Research Institute, RDA)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2004.12.30
- Published : 2005.03.01
The current study was conducted to investigate the effects of dietary chitosan-alginate-Fe(II) complex (CAFC) supplementation on carcass and meat qualities of pig m. longissimus during chiller ageing. One hundred and twenty-two LYD (Landrace
Pork Quality;Chitosan-Alginate-Fe(II) Complex;Fatty Acids;Ageing
Supported by : ARPC
- Gatellier, P., Y. Mercier, E. Rock and M. Renerre. 2000. Influence of dietary fat and vitamin E supplementation on free radical production and on lipid and protein oxidation in turkey muscle extracts. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:1427-1433.
- Hwang, I. H., B. Y. Park, J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho and J. M. Lee. 2004c. Assessment of postmortem proteolysis by gel-based proteome analysis and its relation to meat quality traits in pig longissimus. Meat Sci. 69:79-91.
- Hwang, I. H., B. Y. Park, S. H. Cho, J. H. Kim and J. M. Lee. 2004a. Identification of muscle proteins related to objective meat quality in Korean native black pig. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1599-1607.
- Jia, J., D. Shen and W. Xu. 2002. Synthesis and antibacterial activities of quaternary ammonium salt of chitosan. Carbohydrate Res. 333:1-6.
- Kim, Y. J., K. W. Lee and H. J. Lee. 2004. Total Antioxidant Capacity of Arginine-Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) Complex. Agric. Food Chem. 52:439-444.
- Korean Department of Agriculture and Forestry. 2002. Development of multifunctional co-polymers using natural polysaccharides and it’s application on the livestock food additives. Kor. Dep. Agric. Seoul, Korea.
- Lee, S., A. L. Phillips, D. C. Liebler and C. Faustman. 2003. Porcine oxymyoglobin and lipid oxidation in vitro. Meat Sci. 63:241-247.
- Michio, F. and N. Terukazu. 1992. The effect of the content of Dmannuronic acid and L-guluronic acid blocks in alginates on antitumor activity. Carbohydrae Res. 224:343-347.
- Park, B. Y., Y. M. Yoo, J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho, J. M. Lee and Y. K. Kim. 1998. Changes of meat qualities of vaccum package Hanwo beef loins during the prolonged storage at chilled temperature. RDA J. Livestock Sci. 40:135-139.
- Rosenvold, K. and J. J. Andersen. 2003. Factors of significance for pork quality-a review. Meat Sci. 69:219-237.
- Smith, L. L. 1981. Cholesterol autoxidation. Plenum Press, New York.
- Toldra, F. and M. Flores. 2000. The use of muscle enzymes as predictors of pork meat quality. Food Chem. 69:387-395.
- Tsai, G. J. and W. H. Su. 1999. Antibacterial activity of shrimp chitosan against Escherichia coli. J. Food Proc. 62:239-243.
- Morrison and Smith. 1964. Preparation of fatty acid methyl esters and dimethylacetals from lipids with boron trifluoridemethanol. J. Lipid Res. 5:600-608.
- Cohen, S. M., M. C. Bano, M. Chow and R. Langer. 1991. Lipidalginate interactions render changes in phospholipid bilayer permeability. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 18:1063-1069
- APGS. 2001. Report of business for animal products grading. Animal products grading system, National Livestock Cooperatives Federation, Seoul, Korea.
- Hur, S. J., B. W. Ye, J. L. Lee, Y. L. Ha, G. B. Park and S. T. Joo. 2004. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid on color and lipid oxidation of beef patties during cold storage. Meat Sci. 66:771-775.
- Hwang, I. H., B.Y. Park, J. H. Kim, S. H. Cho, D. H. Kim and J. M. Lee. 2004d. Effects of postmortem pH/temperature decline on changes in free amino acids during ageing in pig longissimus muscle. In: Proceedings of 40th International Congress of Meat Science and Technology, Helsinki, Finand, pp. 125-126.
- Ulu, H. 2004. Evaluation of three 2-thiobarbituric acid methods for the measurement of lipid oxidation in various meats and meat products. Meat Sci. 67:683-687.
- Branen, A. L. 1978. Interaction of fat oxidation and microbial spoilage in muscle foods. In: Proc. Recip. Meat Conf. 31st Annu. Meet. Storrs, CN. pp. 156-160.
- Takasaka, W. K. 1975. Determination of freshness in meat. The Food Industry, Japan. 18:105-108.
- SAS. 1997. Applied statistics and the SAS programming language. SAS Institute INC, Cary, NC, USA.
- Sudarshan, N. R., D. G. Hoove and D. Knorr. 1992. Antibacterial action of glucosamine. Food Biotech. 6:257-272.
- van Laack, R. L. J. M., S. G. Stevens and K. J. Stalder. 2001. The influence of ultimate pH and intramuscular fat content on pork tenderness and tenderization. J. Anim. Sci. 79:392-397.
Mo, S. J., E. W. Son, D. K. Rhee and S. Pyo. 2003. Modulation of TNF-
$\alpha$-induced ICAM-1 expression, NO and $H_2O_2$production by alginate, allicin and ascorbic acid in human endothelial cells. Achieves of Pharmacal Research (a publication of the Pharmaceutical society of Korea). 26:244-251.
- Witte, V. C., G. F. Krause and M. E. Bailey. 1970. A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork and beef during storage. J. Food Sci. 35:582-586.
- Wood, J. D., R. I. Richardson, G. R. Nute, A. V. Fisher, M. M. Campo, E. Kasapidou, P. R. Sheard and M. Enser. 2003. Effects of fatty acids on meat quality: a review. Meat Sci. 66:21-32.
- Xie, W., P. Xu and Q. Liu. 2001. Antioxidant activity of watersoluble chitosan derivatives. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 11:1699-1701.
- Chun, Y. H., K. Y. Kim, S. J. Oh, S. Y. Im, S. B. Chun and S. Bai. 2003. Antimicrobial activity of Chitosan-alginate-Fe(II) Complex. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 31:90-93.
- Faustman, C., S. M. Specht, L. A. Malkus and D. M. Kinsman. 1992. Pigment oxidation in ground veal: Influence of lipid oxidation, iron and zinc. Meat Sci. 31:351-362.
- Hwang, I. H., B. Y. Park, S. H. Cho and J. M. Lee. 2004b. Cause of muscle shortening, proteolysis and WB-shear force in beef longissimus and semitendinosus. Meat Sci. 68:497-505.
- Jeon, T. I., S .G. Hwang, N. G. Park, Y. R. Jung, S. I. Shin, S. D. Choi and D. K. Park. 2003. Antioxidative effect of chitosan on chronic carbon tetrachloride induced hepatic injury in rats. Toxicology 187:67-73.
- Pearson, A. M., J. D. Love and F. B. Shorland. 1977. Warmed-over flavour in meat, poultry and fish. Advances in Food Research 23. Academic Press, New York. pp. 132-150.
- Hwang, I. H., C. E. Devine and D. L. Hopkins. 2003. The biochemical and physical effects of electrical stimulation on beef and sheep meat tenderness. Meat Sci. 65:677-691.
Monahan, F. J., D. J. Buckley, P. A. Morrissey, P. B. Lynch and J. L. Gray. 1992a. Influence of dietary fat and
$\alpha$-tocopherol suplementation on lipid oxidation in pork. Meat Sci. 31:229-235.
- Bertram, H. C., A. Schafer, K. Rosenvold and H. J. Andersen. 2004. Physical changes of signficance of early post mortem water distribution in porcine M. longissimus. Meat Sci. 66:915-924.
- Kamil, J. Y. V. A., Y. J. Jeon and F. Shahidi. 2002. Antioxidative activity of chitosans of different viscosity in cooked comminuted flesh of herring (Clupea harengus). Food Chem. 79:69-77.
- Kristensen, L. and P. P. Purslow. 2001. The effect of ageing on the water-holding capacityof pork: role of cytoskeletal proteins. Meat Sci. 58:17-23.
- Peng, C., Y. Wang and Y. Tang. 1998. Synthesis of crosslinked chitosan-crown ethers and evaluationof these products as adsorbents for metal ions. J. Applied Polmer Sci. 70:501-506.
- Chae, H. S., C. N. Ahn, Y. M. Yoo, B. Y. Park, J .S. Ham, D. H. Kim, J. M. Lee and Y. I. Choi. 2004. Effect of the scalding temperature at slaughtering process on meat quality and storage properties of chicken. Kor. J. Food Sci. Anim. esour. 24:115-120.
- Allan, C. and L. A. Hadwiger. 1979. The fungicidal effects of glucosamine on fungi and varying cell wall composition. Exp. Mycol. 3:285-287.
- Monahan, F. J., J. I. Gray, A. M. Booren, E. R. Miller, D. J. Buckley, P. A. Morrissey and E. A. Goman. 1992b. Influence of dietary treatment on lipid and cholesterol oxidation in pork. J. Agric. Food Chem. 40:1310-1315.
- Xue, C., G. Yu, T. Hirata, J. Terao and H. Lin. 1998. Antioxidative activities of several marine polysaccharides evaluated in a phosphatidylcholine-liposomal suspension and organic solvents. Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 62:206-209.
- Effect of storage and grilling on fatty acids in muscle of pigs fed plant oils vol.108, pp.7, 2006, https://doi.org/10.1002/ejlt.200600006
- Effect of carbohydrate supplementation provided through drinking water during feed withdrawal on meat and liver colours in broilers vol.88, pp.3, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3110