- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Tween 80 and Fibrolytic Enzymes on Ruminal Fermentation and Digestibility of Feeds in Holstein Cows
- Baah, J. (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Research Centre) ;
- Shelford, J.A. (Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Univ. of British Columbia) ;
- Hristov, A.N. (Department of Animal Science, Univ. of Idaho) ;
- McAllister, T.A. (Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Research Centre) ;
- Cheng, K.J. (Institute of BioAgricultural Sciences, Academia Sinica)
- Received : 2004.07.12
- Accepted : 2004.12.27
- Published : 2005.06.01
The effects of the nonionic surfactant Tween 80 and a mixture of fibrolytic enzymes on total tract digestion, in situ disappearance (ISD) and ruminal fermentation characteristics of orchardgrass hay and barley grain were investigated in a 4
Tween 80;Fibrolytic Enzyme;Digestibility;Dairy Cow
- Goto, M., H. Bae, S. S. Lee, M. S. Yahaya, S. Karita, K. Wanjae and K. J. Cheng. 2003b. Effects of surfactant Tween 80 on forage degradability and microbial growth on the in vitro rumen mixed and pure cultures. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:672-676.
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 92:499-503.
- Pritchard, G., C. Hunt, A. Allen and R. Treacher. 1996. Effect of direct-fed fibrolytic enzymes on digestion and growth performance in beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 74(Suppl. 1):296 (Abstr).
- SAS. 1990. Statistical Analysis System Institute, User’s guide: Statistics. Version 6 edition. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Feng, P., C. W. Hunt, G. T. Pritchard and W. E. Julien. 1996. Effect of enzyme preparations on in situ and in vitro and in vivo digestive characteristics of mature cool-season grass forage in beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1349-1357.
- Wang, Y., T. A. McAllister, J. Baah, R. Wilde, K. A. Beauchemin, L. M. Rode, J. A. Shelford, G. M. Kamande and K.-J. Cheng. 2003. Effects of Tween 80 on in vitro fermentation of silages and interactive effects of Tween 80, monensin and exogenous fibrolytic enzymes on growth performance by feedlot cattle. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:968-978.
- Classen, H. L. and M. R Bedford. 1991. The use of enzymes to improve the nutritive value of poultry feeds. In Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition. (Ed. P. Gimsworthy, W. Haresign and D. J. A. Cole). Butterworth–Heinemann, Boston, MA, USA. pp. 71-79.
- Lee, S. S. and J. K. Ha. 2003. Influences of surfactant Tween 80 on the gas production, cellulose digestion and enzyme activities by mixed rumen microorganisms. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1151-1157.
- Goto, M., H.-D. Bae, M. S. Yahaya, S. Karita, K. Wanjae, J. Baah, K. Sugawara and K. J. Cheng. 2003a. Effects of surfactant Tween 80 on enzymatic accessibility and degradation of orchardgrass (Dactylis glomerata L.) at different growth stages. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:83-87.
- Canadian Council on Animal Care. 1993. Guide to the care and use of experimental animals. Vol. 1. (Ed. E. D. Olfert, B. M. Cross and A. A. McWilliam). CCAC, Ottawa, ON.
- Akin, D. E. 1980. Evaluation by electron microscopy and anaerobic culture of types of rumen bacteria associated with digestion of forage cell walls. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 39:242-252.
- Hristov, A. N., T. A. McAllister and K.-J. Cheng. 1998. Effect of dietary or abomasal supplementation of exogenous polysaccharide-degrading enzymes on rumen fermentation and nutrient digestibility. J. Anim. Sci. 76:3146-3156.
- Kamande, G. M. 1994. Manipulation of Rumen and Silage Fermentation. Ph.D. Thesis. University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Lee, S. S., B. H. Ahn, H. S. Kim, C. H. Kim, K.-J. Cheng and J. K. Ha. 2003. Effects of non-ionic surfactants on enzyme distributions of rumen contents, anaerobic growth of rumen microbes, rumen fermentation characteristics and performance of lactating cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:104-115.
- Van Soest, P. J. 1982. Nutritional Ecology of the Ruminant. O. and B. Books, Corvalis, OR, USA.
- Kim, C. H., J. N. Kim, J. K. Ha, S. G. Yun and S. S. Lee. 2004. Effects of dietary addition of surfactant Tween 80 on ruminal fermentation and nutrient digestibility of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:337-342.
- Kamande, G. M., J. Baah, T. A. McAllister, K.-J. Cheng and J. A. Shelford. 2000. Effects of Tween 60 and Tween 80 on protease activity, thiol group reactivity, protein adsorption, and cellulose degradation by rumen microbial enzymes. J. Dairy Sci. 83:536-542.
- Broderick, G. A. and J. H. Kang. 1980. Automated simultaneous determination of ammonia and total amino acids in ruminal fluid and in vitro media. J. Dairy Sci. 63:64-75.
- McAllister, T. A., K. Stanford, H. D. Bae, R. J. Treacher, A. N. Hristov, J. Baah, J. A. Shelford and K.-J. Cheng. 2000. Effect of a surfactant and exogenous enzymes on digestibility of feed and on growth performance and carcass traits of lambs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 80:35-44.
- McAllister, T. A., S. J. Oosting, J. D. Popp, Z. Mir, L. J. Yanke, A. N. Hristov, R. J. Treacher and K.-J. Cheng. 1999. Effect of exogenous enzymes on digestibility of barley silage and growth performance of feedlot cattle. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 79:353-360.
- Beauchemin, K. A., L. M. Rode and V. J. H. Sewalt. 1995. Fibrolytic enzymes increase fiber digestibility and growth rate of steers fed dry forages. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 75:641-644.
- Lewis, G. E., W. K. Sanchez, C. W. Hunt, M. A. Guy, G. T. Pritchard, B. I. Swanson and R. J. Treacher. 1999. Effect of direct-fed fibrolytic enzymes on the lactational performance of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 82:611-617.