- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Two Different Schemes of Once-weekly Ovum Pick Up in Dairy Heifers
- Yang, Xiao-Yu (Fujian Medical University) ;
- Li, Hua (Institute of Medical Genetics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Huang, Wen-Ying (Institute of Medical Genetics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Huang, Shu-Zhen (Institute of Medical Genetics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University) ;
- Zeng, Yi-tao (Institute of Medical Genetics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University)
- Received : 2004.06.17
- Accepted : 2004.11.09
- Published : 2005.03.01
To compare two different schemes, continuous scheme (CS) and discontinuous scheme (DCS), of once-weekly ovum pick up (OPU) with ultrasound-guided follicular puncture technique, Holstein heifers were randomly divided into two groups of five. After characterization of their two normal estrous cycles, the heifers were subjected to consecutive 20 weeks of once-weekly OPU under two schemes: the CS (one week interval between continuous OPU, total 100 OPU sessions performed) and the DCS (OPU fixed to the day 3 and day 10 of each estrus). Then, the status of ovaries and artificial insemination results were observed. On oocyte yield, the total number of punctured follicles using DCS was lower than that using CS, but the mean numbers of punctured follicles and recovered oocytes per session were higher in DCS than CS group. So the total number of recovered oocytes was similar in both groups. There were also no differences in the quality of recovered oocytes, nor in the developmental ability of oocytes fertilized in vitro between groups. The heifers in the DCS group showed regular estrous cycles with stable estrous signs through the periods of before, during, and after OPU, while those in CS group showed longer estrous cycles and less estrous signs during and/or after OPU compared with before period. Furthermore, the mean number of inseminations required for obtaining pregnancy after completion of the experiments was lower in DCS than CS group. The research demonstrates that similar quantity and quality oocytes can be achieved, and the side effects on donors are lower in DCS that needs fewer OPUs than CS group, and DCS is superior to CS.
Ovum Pick Up;Dairy Heifer;Oocyte;Follicle
- Assey, R. J., P. Hyttel and N. Kanuya. 1994. Oocyte structure in dominant and subordinate follicles in zebu cattle (Bos indicus). Anat. Embryol (Berl). 190:461-468.
- Huang, S. Z., Y. Huang, M. J. Chen, W. Chen, H. Li, Z. R. Ren and Y. T. Zeng. 2000. The production of transgenic IVF cattle directed by goat-casein promoter/human serum albumin construct. J. Gen. Mol. Bio. 11:29-39.
- Merton, J. S., A. P. de Roos, E. Mullaart, L. de Ruigh, L. Kaal, P. L. A. M. Vos and S. J. Dieleman. 2003. Factors affecting oocyte quality and quantity in commercial application of embryo technologies in the cattle breeding industry. Theriogenology 59:651-674. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(02)01246-3
- Petyim, S., R. Bage, M. Forsberg, H. Rodriguez-Martinez and B. Larsson. 2000. The effect of repeated follicular puncture on ovarian function in dairy heifers. J. Vet. Med. A. Physiol. Pathol. Clin. Med. 47:627-640.
- Petyim, S. R. Bage, M. Forsberg, H. Rodriguez-Martinez and B. Larsson. 2001. Effects of repeated follicular punctures on ovarian morphology and endocrine parameters in dairy heifers. J. Vet. Med. A. Physiol. Pathol. Clin. Med. 48:449-463.
- Pieterse, M. C., K. A. Kappen, Th. A. M. Kruip and M. A. M. Taveme. 1988. Aspiration of bovine oocytes during transvaginal ultrasound scanning of the ovaries. Theriogenology 30:751-761.
- Pieterse, M. C., P. L. A. M.Vos, Th. A. M. Kruip, W. A. H. illemse and M. A. M. Taverne. 1991b. Characteristics of bovine estrous cycles during repeated transvaginal ultrasound-guided puncturing of follicles for ovum pick-up. Theriogenology 35:401-413.
- Takenouchi, N., Y. Hirao, I. Kosuke, M. Shimizu, M. Geshi and T. Nagai. 2001. The effect of inhibin immunization on the results of ovum pick up in Japanese Black cow. Proc. 94th. Annual. Meet. Jap. Soc. Anim. Reprod. 1:71.
- Salamone, D. F., G. P. Adams and R. J. Mapletoft. 1999. Changes in the cumulus-oocyte complex of subordinate follicles relative to follicular wave status in cattle. Theriogenology 52:549-561.
- Neglia, G., B. Gasparrini, V. Caracciolo di Brienza, R. Di Palo, G. Campanile, G. Antonio Presicce and L. Zicarelli. 2003. Bovine and buffalo in vitro embryo production using oocytes derived from abattoir ovaries or collected by transvaginal follicle aspiration. Theriogenology 59:1123-1130.
- Zeuner, A., K. Muller, K. Reguszynski and K. Jewgenow. 2003. Apoptosis within bovine follicular cells and its effect on oocyte development during in vitro maturation. Theriogenology 59:1421-1433.
- Huang, S. Z., Y. Huang, M. J. Chen, F. Zeng, Z. R. Ren and Y. T. Zeng. 2001. Selection of in vitro produced, transgenic embryos by nested-PCR for efficient production of transgenic goats. Theriogenology 56:545-556.
- Looney, C. R., B. R. Lindsey, C. L. Gonseth and D. L. Johnson. 1994. Commercial aspects of oocyte and in vitro fertilization (IVF) for embryo production in problem cows. Theriogenology 41:67-72.
- Adams, G. P., R. L. Matteri, J. P. Kastelic, J. C. Ko and O. J. Ginther. 1992. Association between surges of folliclestimulating hormone and the emergence of follicular waves in heifers. J. Reprod. Fertil. 94:177-188.
- Chastant-Maillard, S., H. Quinton, J. Lauffenburger, N. Cordonnier-Lefort, C. Richard, J. Marchal, P. Mormede and J. P. Renard. 2003. Consequences of transvaginal follicular puncture on well-being in cows. Reproduction 125:555-563.
- Klossok, G. K. G., E. Hadeler, D. Lemme, L. Rath, Schindler and H. Niemann. 1997. Estrus cyclicity and pregnancy establishment during ultrasound-guided follicular aspiration in dairy cows. Theriogenology 47:160.
- Presicce, G. A., E. M. Senatore, G. De Santis, R. Stecco, G. M. Terzano, A. Borghese and G. J. De Mauro. 2002. Hormonal stimulation and oocyte maturational competence in prepuberal Mediterranean Italian buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Theriogenology 57:1877-1884.
- De Wit, A. A., Y. A. Wurth and T. A. Kruip. 2000. Effect of ovarian phase and follicle quality on morphology and developmental capacity of the bovine cumulus-oocyte complex. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1277-1283.
- Manik, R. S., S. K. Singla and P. Palta. 2003. Collection of oocytes through transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration of follicles in an Indian breed of cattle. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 76:155-161.
- Yeh, S. P., J. C. Ju, J. K. Tseng, P. C. Chou, C. H. Chen, T. Chih and Y. K. Fan. 2004. Surgical Oocyte Retrieval and the evelopmental Potential of the Oocytes Derived from Prepubertal Calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:174-178.
- Pieterse, M. C., P. L. A. M. Vos, Th. A. M. Kruip and M. A. M. Taveme. 1991a. Transvaginal ultrasound guided follicular aspiration of bovine oocytes. Theriogenology 35:857-862. https://doi.org/10.1016/0093-691X(91)90426-E