- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Reproductive Management with Ultrasound Scanner-monitoring System for a High-yielding Commercial Dairy Herd Reared under Stanchion Management Style
Takagi, M.;Yamagishi, N.;Lee, I.H.;Oboshi, K.;Tsuno, M.;Wijayagunawardane, M.P.B.
- Received : 2004.05.10
- Accepted : 2005.03.08
- Published : 2005.07.01
The weekly ultrasound scanner (US) observations of reproductive organs in a commercial dairy herd with the popular stanchion style management were conducted for over 26 months. Based on reproductive records, the following were evaluated: 1) the effect of postpartum period commencement of US monitoring on herd reproductive efficacy, and 2) the effectiveness of a US monitoring-based diagnosis and subsequent treatments of reproductive disorders on postpartum reproductive efficiency. The reproductive parameters of cows, which were subjected to US monitoring between Days 30-40 (Day 0 = day of parturition), Days 41-50, Days 51-60, and above Day 61, were compared. The reproductive parameters of cows diagnosed as having reproductive disorders (RD) with US monitoring before or after the first artificial insemination (AI) were also compared. It was found that the day of commencement of US monitoring in cows diagnosed with and without RD significantly affected the period towards the first AI and the open period. In particular, cystic follicles and anoestrus detected either before or after the first AI significantly affected herd reproductive efficiency. The implementation of US monitoring improved reproductive efficiency by reducing the open period and increasing the number of milking cows in the herd. The results of this field trial indicate that the postpartum reproductive management of dairy cows with the use of the US monitoring system is one strategy to improve reproductive efficiency, especially in a high-yielding dairy herd reared stanchion management style.
Dairy Herd;Reproductive Management;Ultrasound Scanner
- Foote, R. H. 1975. Estrous detection and estrous detection aids. J. Dairy Sci. 58:248-255. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(75)84555-3
- Lewis, G. S. 1997. Uterine health and disorders. J. Dairy Sci. 80:984-994. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76024-7
- Lyimo, Z. C., M. Nielen, W. Ouweltjes, T. A. M. Kruip and F. J. C. M. van Eerdenburg. 2000. Relationship among estradiol, cortisol and intensity of estrous behavior in dairy cattle. Theriogenology 53:1783-1795.
- Opsomer, G., M. Coryn, H. Deluyker and A. de Kruif. 1998. An analysis of ovarian dysfunction in high yielding dairy cows after calving based on progesterone profiles. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 33:193-204.
- Opsomer, G., P. Mijten, M. Coryn and A. de Kruif. 1996. Post partum anestrus in dairy cows: a review. Vet. Quart. 18:68-75.
- Refsdal, A. O. 2000. To treat or not treat: a proper use of hormones and antibiotics. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 60-61:109-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00094-4
- Taylor, C. and R. Rajamahendran. 1991. The use of real-time ultrasonography in postpartum reproductive management of dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 74:193(Abstr.).
- Wiltbank, M. C., A. Gumen and R. Sartori. 2002. Physiological classification of anovulatory conditions in cattle. Theriogenology 57:21-52.
- Lamming, G. E. and A. O. Darwash. 1998. The use of milk progesterone profiles to characterize components of subfertility in milked dairy cows. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 52:175-190.
- Farin, P. W., R. S. Youngquist, J. R. Parfet and H. A. Garverick. 1992. Diagnosis of luteal and follicular ovarian cysts by palpation per rectum and linear-array ultrasonography in dairy cows. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 200:1085-1089.
- Fissore, R. A., A. J. Edmonson, R. L. Pashen and R. H. Bondurant. 1985. The use of ultrasonography for the study of the bovine reproductive tract: II. Non pregnant, pregnant and pathological conditions of the uterus. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 12:167-177.
- Rukkwamsuk, T., T. Wensing and T. A. M. Kruip. 1999b. Relationship between triacylglycerol concentration in the liver and first ovulation in postpartum dairy cows. Theriogenology 51:1133-1142.
Tallam, S. K., T. L. Kerbler, K. E. Leslie, K. Bateman, W. H. Johnson and J. S. Walton. 2001. Reproductive performance of postpartum dairy cows under a highly intervenient breeding program involving timed insemination and combination of GnRH, prostaglandin F2
$\alpha$and human chorionic gonadotropin. Theriogenology 56:91-104.
- Senger, P. L. 1994. The estrous detection problem: new concepts, technologies, and possibilities. J. Dairy Sci. 77:2745-2753. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77217-9
- Butler, W. R. 1998. Review: effect of protein nutrition on ovarian and uterine physiology in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 81:2533-2539. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)70146-8
- Edmondson, A. J., R. A. Fissore, R. L. Pashen and R. H. Bondurant. 1986. The use of ultrasonography for the study of the bovine reproductive tract. I. Normal and pathological ovarian structures. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 12:157-165.
- Savio, J. D., M. P. Boland, N. Hynes and J. F. Roche. 1990a. Resumption of follicular activity in the early post-partum period of dairy cows. J. Reprod. Fertil. 88:569-579.
- Kamimura, S., T. Ohgi, M. Takahashi and T. Tsukamoto. 1993. Turnover of dominant follicles prior to first ovulation and subsequent fertility in postpartum dairy cows. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 28:85-90.
- Lucy, M. C. 2001. Reproductive loss in high-producing dairy cattle: where will it end ? J. Dairy Sci. 84:1277-1293.
- Nanda, A. S., W. R. Ward, P. C. W. Williams and H. Dobson. 1988. Retrospective analysis of the efficacy of different hormone treatments of cystic ovarian disease in cattle. Vet. Rec. 122:155-158.
- Rukkwamsuk, T., T. A. M. Kruip and T. Wensing. 1999a. Relationship between overfeeding and overconditioning in the dry period and the problems of high producing dairy cows during the postparturient period. Vet. Quart. 21:71-77.
- Butler, W. R. 2000. Nutritional interactions with reproductive performance in dairy cattle. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 60-61:449-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00076-2
- Lucey, M. C., G. S. Rowlands and A. M. Russell. 1986. The association between lameness and fertility in dairy cows. Vet. Rec. 118:628-631.
- Rajamahendran, R., D. J. Ambrose and B. Burton. 1994. Clinical and research applications of real-time ultrasonography in bovine reproduction: a review. Can. Vet. J. 35:563-572.
- Rajamahendran, R. and C. Taylor. 1990. Characterization of ovarian activity in postpartum dairy cows using ultrasound imaging and progesterone profiles. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 22:171-180.
- Peter, A. T. and W. T. K. Bosu. 1988. Relationship of uterine infection and folliculogenesis in dairy cows during early puerperium. Theriogenology 30:1045-1051.
- Roche, J. F., D. Mackey and M. D. Diskin. 2000. Reproductive management of postpartum cows. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 60-61:703-712.
- Jeffcoate, I. A. and T. R. Ayliffe. 1995. An ultrasonographic study of bovine cystic ovarian disease and its treatment. Vet. Rec. 136:406-410.
- Okano, A. and T. Tomizuka. 1987. Ultrasonic observation of postpartum uterine involution in the cow. Theriogenology 27:369-376.
- Pursley, J. R., M. R. Kosorok and M. C. Wiltbank. 1997. Reproductive management of lactating dairy cows using synchronization of ovulation. J. Dairy Sci. 80:301-306.
- Badinga, L., R. J. Collier, W. W. Thatcher and C. J. Wilcox. 1985. Effects of climatic and management factors on conception rate of dairy cattle in subtropical environment. J. Dairy Sci. 68:78-85.
- Van Vliet, J. H. and F. J. C. M. Van Eerdenburg. 1996. Sexual activities and estrus detection in lactating Holstein cows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 50:57-69.
- Garverick, H. A. 1997. Ovarian follicular cysts in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 80:995-1004. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76025-9
- Kahn, W. and W. Leidl. 1989. Ultrasonic characteristics of pathological conditions of the bovine uterus and ovaries. Curr. Top. Vet. Med. Anim. Sci. 51:53-65.
- Caroll, D. J., R. A. Pierson, E. R. Hauser, R. R. Grummer and D. K. Combs. 1990. Variability of ovarian structures and plasma progesterone profiles in dairy cows with ovarian cysts. Theriogenology 34:349-370.
- Savio, J. D., M. P. Boland and J. F. Roche. 1990b. Development of dominant follicles and length of ovarian cycles in post-partum dairy cows. J. Reprod. Fertil. 88:581-591.
- Studer, E. and D. A. Morrow. 1978. Postpartum evaluation of bovine reproductive potential: comparison of findings from genital tract examination per rectum, uterine culture, and endometrial biopsy. J. Am. Vet. Med. Associ. 172:489-494.
- Pierson, R. A. and O. J. Ginther. 1984. Ultrasonography of the bovine ovary. Theriogenology 21:495-504.
Pursley, J. R., M. O. Mee and M. C. Wiltbank. 1995. Synchronization of ovulation in dairy cows using PGF2
$\alpha$and GnRH. Theriogenology 44:915-923.
- Butler, W. R. and R. D. Smith. 1989. Interrelationships between energy balance and postpartum reproductive function in dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 72:767-783.
- Farin, P. W., R. S. Youngquist, J. R. Parfet and H. A. Gaverick. 1990. Diagnosis of luteal and follicular ovarian cysts in dairy cows by sector scan ultrasonography. Theriogenology 34:633-642.
- Keister, Z. O., S. K. DeNise, D. V. Armstrong, R. L. Ax and M. D. Brown. 1999. Pregnancy outcomes in two commercial dairy herds following hormonal scheduling programs. Theriogenology 51:1587-1596.
- Kesler, D. J. and H. A. Garverick. 1982. Ovarian cysts in dairy cattle: a review. J. Anim. Sci. 55:1147-1159.
- Opsomer, G., Y. T. Grohn, J. Hertl, M. Coryn, H. Deluyker and A. de Kruif. 2000. Risk factors for post partum ovarian dysfunction in high producing dairy cows in Belgium. Theriogenology 53:841-857. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0093-691X(00)00234-X
- Peter, A. T. and W. T. K. Bosu. 1988. Influence of intrauterine infections and follicular development on the response to GnRH administration in postpartum dairy cows. Theriogenology 29:1163-1175.
- Beam, S. W. and W. R. Butler. 1999. Effects of energy balance on follicular development and first ovulation in postpartum dairy cows. J. Reprod. Fertil. Supple. 54:411-424.
- Ferguson, J. D., D. T. Galligan, T. Blanchard and M. Reeves. 1993. Serum urea nitrogen and conception rate: the usefulness of test information. J. Dairy Sci. 76:3742-3746.
- Effects of Dietary Contamination by Zearalenone and Its Metabolites on Serum Anti-Müllerian Hormone: Impact on the Reproductive Performance of Breeding Cows vol.50, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/rda.12599