- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Indigenous Browses and Sunflower Seed Cake Supplementation on Intake and Growth Performance of Dual-purpose Goats Fed Buffel Grass (Cenchrus ciliaris) Hay
- Komwihangilo, D.M. (Livestock Production Research Institute, Department of Animal Science and Production, Sokoine University of Agriculture) ;
- Chenyambuga, S.W. (Department of Animal Science and Production, Sokoine University of Agriculture) ;
- Lekule, F.P. (Department of Animal Science and Production, Sokoine University of Agriculture) ;
- Mtenga, L.A. (Department of Animal Science and Production, Sokoine University of Agriculture) ;
- Muhikambele, V.R.M. (Department of Animal Science and Production, Sokoine University of Agriculture)
- Received : 2004.09.22
- Accepted : 2005.02.03
- Published : 2005.07.01
A study to compare the effects of supplementing Delonix elata, Grewia similis, Tamarindus indica and sunflower seed cake on intake and growth rate of dual-purpose goats fed low quality Buffel grass (Cenchrus ciliaris) hay was carried out. Twenty-eight male goats aged five to seven months (mean weight 12.93
Supported by : International Foundation for Science
- Kaitho, R. J. and J. N. Kariuki. 1998. Effects of Desmodium, Sesbania and Calliandra supplementation on growth of dairy heifers fed Napier grass basal diet. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 11(6):680-684.
- Shayo, C. 1997. Uses, yield and nutritive value of Mulberry (Morus alba) trees for ruminants in semi-arid areas of central Tanzania. Trop. Grass. 31:599-604.
- Devendra, C. 1990. The use of shrubs and tree fodders by ruminants. In: Shrubs and tree fodders for farm animals. (Ed. C. Devendra). International Development Research Centre, IDRC, Ottawa, Canada. pp. 42-60.
- Richards, D. E., W. F. Brown, G. Ruegsegger and D. B. Bates. 1994. Replacement value of tree legumes for concentrates in forage-based diets. II. Replacement value of Leucaena leucocephala and Gliricidia sepium for lactating goats. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 46:53-65.
- Waldo, D. R., L. W. Smith and E. L. Cox. 1972. Model of cellulose disappearance from rumen. J. Dairy Sci. 55:125.
- Goromela, E. H, I. Ledin and P. Uden. 1997. Indigenous browse leaves as supplements to dual-purpose goats in Central Tanzania. Liv. Prod. Sci. 47:245-252.
- Scheinder, B. H. and W. P. Flatt. 1975. The evaluation of feeds through digestibility experiments. The University of Georgia Press, Athens, 423pp.
- Abdulrazak, S. A., R. W. Muinga, W. Thorpe and E. R. Orskov. 1996. The effects of supplementation with Gliricidia sepium or Leucaena Leucocephala forage on intake, digestion and liveweight gains of Bos Taurus/Bos indicus steers offered Napier grass. J. Anim. Sci. 63:381-388.
- van Eys, J. E., I. W. Mathius, P. Pongsapon and W. L. Johnson. 1986. Foliage of the tree legumes Gliricidia sepium, Leucaena leucocephala and Sesbania as supplement to Napier grass diets for growing goats. J. Agric. Sci. Cambridge 107: 227 – 233.
- Statistical Analysis Systems Institute. 1999. SAS users’ guide: statistics. Statistical Analysis Systems Institute, Inc., Cary NC.
- Komwihangilo, D. M., D. S. C. Sendalo, F. P. Lekule, L. A. Mtenga and V. K. Temu. 2001. Farmers’ knowledge in the utilisation of indigenous browse species for feeding of goats in semi-arid central Tanzania. Liv. Res. Rur. Dev. 13(6):http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd13/6/komw 136.htm.
- Minson, D. J. and R. Milford. 1967. The voluntary intake and digestibility of diets containing different proportions of legume and mature Pangola grass. J. Exp. Agric. Anim. Husb. 11: 181 – 218.
- Phimphachanhvongsod, V. and I. Ledin. 2002. Performance of growing goast fed Panicum maximum and leaves of Gliricidia sepium. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1585-1590.
- Yahaya, M. S., J. Takahashi, S. Matsuoka, A. Kibon and D. B. Dibal. 2000. Evaluation of arid region browse species from north eastern Nigeria using pen fed goats. Small Rum. Res. 38:83-86.
- Makkar, H. P. S., M. Blümmel, N. K. Borowy and K. Becker. 1993. Gravimetric determination of tannins and their correlations with chemical and protein precipitation methods. J. Sci. Food Agric. 61:161-165.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fibre analysis (apparatus, reagents, procedures and some applications). Agricultural handbook No, 379. ARS, USDA, Washington DC.
- Huntington, J. A. and D. I. Givens. 1995. The in situ technique for studying the rumen degradation of feeds. A review of the procedure. Nutrition Abstract and Reviews, 65(2):63-93.
- Ntakwendela, L., L. A. Mtenga, A. E. Pereka, S. W. Chenyambuga, G. Laswai, A. E. Kimambo and V. R. M. Muhikambele. 2002. Effects of substituting sunflower seed cake with Acacia tortilis pods as protein source in supplementary diets of Small East African goats. Tanzania J. Agric. Sci. 5:39-48.
- Ondiek, J. O., J. K. Tuitoek, S. A. abdulrazak, F. B. Bareeba and T. Fujihara. 2000. Use of Leucaena leucocephala and Gliricidia sepium as nitrogen sources in supplementary concentrates of dairy goats offered Rhodes grass hay. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1249-1254.
- Rubanza, C. D. K., M. N. Shem, R. Otsyina, T. Ichinohe and T. Fujihara. 2003. Nutritive evaluation of some browse tree legume foliages native to semi-arid areas in western Tanzania. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1429-1437.
- Orskov, E. R. and I. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubated measurements weighed according to rate of passage. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 92:499-503.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 4th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington D.C.
- Conservation of forage resources for increasing livestock production in traditional forage reserves in Tanzania vol.46, pp.s1, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2028.2008.00934.x