- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Study of Antioxidant Effects in Melanins Extracted from Various Tissues of Animals
- Lin, Liang-Chuan (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University) ;
- Chen, Wei-Tai (Graduate Institute of Animal Science, National Chung-Hsing University)
- Received : 2004.04.09
- Accepted : 2004.08.23
- Published : 2005.02.01
This study was carried out to investigate the antioxidant effects of melanin extracts, including silkie fowl skin melanin (SS-melanin), silkie fowl comb melanin (SC-melanin), sepia ink sac melanin (SE-melanin), octopus ink sac melanin (OC-melanin) and synthetic melanin (SY-melanin). The results showed that with the addition of melanin extracts, linoleic acid peroxide significantly, decreased (p<0.05) with the increase in the irradiative time of UV and that OC-melanin had the highest efficiency on antioxidant activity (p<0.05). Melanin extract had reducing power and chelating power to
- Ames, B. N., M. K. Shigenaga and T. M. Hagen. 1993. Oxidants antioxidants, and the degenerative diseases of aging. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90:7915-7922.
- Blarzino, C., L. Mosca, C. Foppoli, R. Coccia, C. D. Marco and M. A. Rosei. 1999. Lipoxygenase/H2O2-catalyzed oxidation of dihydroxyindoles: synthesis of melanin pigments and study of their antioxidant properties. Free Radical Biology and Medicine 26:446-453.
- Brown, C. E. 1988. Interactions among carnosine, anserine, ophidine and copper in biochemical adaptation. J. Theory. Biol. 88:245.
- Bochenek, K. and E. Gudowska-Nowak. 2003. Fundamental building blocks of eumelanins: electronic properties of indolequinone-dimmers. Chem. Phys. Lett. 373:532-538.
- Decker, E. A., A. D. Crum and J. T. Calvert. 1992. Difference in the antioxidatmechanism of carnosine in the presence of copper and iron. J. Agric. Food Chem. 40:756.
- Dinis, T. C. P., V. M. C. Madeira and L. M. Almeida. 1994. Action of phenolic derivatives (acetaminophen, salicylate, and 5-aminosalicylate) as inhibitors of membrane lipid peroxidation and as peroxyl radical scavengers. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 315:161-169.
- Gordon, M. H. 1990. The mechanism of antioxidant action in vitro. Chapter1, In Food Antioxidants (Ed. B. J. F. Hudson), pp. 1-18.
- Halliwell, B. and J. M. C. Gutteridge. 1989. Free radicals and toxicology. Ch. 6, In ‘Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine’. (Ed. B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge) pp. 299-365. Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Harki, E., T. Talou and R. Dargent. 1997. Purification, characterization and analysis of melanin extracted from Tuber melanosporum vitt. Food Chem. 58(1-2):69-73.
Imida, K., S. Fukushima, T. Shivai, M. Ohtani, K. Nakamishi and N. Ito. 1983. Promoting activities of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxytoluene on 2-stage urinary bladder carcinogenesis and inhibition of
$\gamma$-glutamyl tanspeptidasepositive foci development in the liver of rats. Carcinogenesis 4:885-889.
- Jacobson, E. S. and S. B. Tinnell. 1993. Antioxidant function of fungal melanin. J. Bacteriol. 175:7102-7104.
- Jara, J. R., F. Soalno, J. C. Garcia-Borron, P. Aroca and J. A. Lozano. 1990. Regulation of mammalian melanogensis II: The role of metal cations. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta., 1035:276-285.
- Kan, Y. S. and G. H. Kan. 1992. Skill on feeding silkie. Agriculture Inc. published, Pei Jing, Chinese Mainland. pp. 1-7.
- Lee, T. J. 1578. Catalog of basic medical plate. Commercial Book Inc. published, Hong Kong. Vol. 6(48):73-74.
- Lin, L. C. and H. C. Wu. 2000a. Studies on chemical compositions and characteristics of Taiwan silkie and broiler meat. Taiwanese J. of Agricultural Chemistry and Food Science. 38(4):295-301.
- Lin, L. C. and H. C. Wu. 2000b. Differences in meat quality between the Taiwan silkie and broiler. Taiwanese J. Agric. Chem. Food Sci. 38(4):302-309.
- Mitsuda, H., K. Yasumodo and K. Iwami. 1966. Anetioxidative action on of indole compounds during the autoxidation of linoleic acid. Eiyoto Shokuryo 19:210-214.
- Mosca, L., C. Blarzino, R. Coccia, C. Foppoli and M. A. Rosei. 1998. Melanins from tetrahydroisoquinolines: Spectroscopic chatacteristics, scavenging activity andredox transfer properies. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 24:161-167.
- Oyaizu, M. 1986. Antioxidative activity of browning products of glucosamine fractionated by organic solvent and thin-layer chromatography. Nippon Shokuhin Kogyo Gakkaishi. 35:771-775.
- Prota, G. 1992. Melanin and Melanogenesis, Academic Press, New York.
- Riley, P. A. 1997. Melanin. Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. Vol. 29(11):1235-1239. London, UK. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1357-2725(97)00013-7
- Rózanowska, M., T. Sarna, E. J. Land and T. G. Truscott. 1999. Free radical scavenging properties of melanin interaction of eu-and pheo-melanin models with reducing and oxidising radicals. Free Rad. Biol. Med. 26:518-525.
- SAS Institnte. 2000. SAS/STAT User’s Guide: Statistics. SAS Inst., Inc., Carry, North Carolina.
- Sarna, T., H. M. Swartz, J. Nordlund, R. Boissy, V. Hearing, R. Jing and J.-P. Ortonne. 1998.The Pigmentary System-Physiology and Pathology, Oxford University Press. Oxford, p.333.
- Terao, Z. 1988. Lipid peroxide. Oil Chem. Food. 37:878-884.
- Wu, H. C. 1998. The meat chatacteristics and qualities of silkie. Master thesis, Graduate Institute of Animal Science of National Chung-Hsing Univ. Taiwan, ROC.
- Yamaguchi, R., M. A. Tatsumi, K. Kato and U. Yoshimitsu. 1988. Effect of metal salts and fructose on the autoxidation of methyl linoleate in emulsions. Agric. Biol. Chem. 52:849-850.
- Acute phase protein mRNA expressions and enhancement of antioxidant defense system in Black-meated Silkie Fowls supplemented with clove (Eugenia caryophyllus) extracts under the influence of chronic heat stress vol.58, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-016-0122-4
- promotes proliferation and differentiation of osteoblastic MG-63 cells via bone morphogenetic protein-2 signaling vol.11, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2017.11.3.190
- Cephalopod Ink: Production, Chemistry, Functions and Applications vol.12, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3390/md12052700
- On the antioxidant activity of eumelanin biopigments: a quantitative comparison between free radical scavenging and redox properties pp.1478-6427, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/14786419.2018.1542391