- Volume 18 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Probiotic on Growth Performance, Nutrients Digestibility, Blood Characteristics and Fecal Noxious Gas Content in Growing Pigs
- Chen, Y.J. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Son, K.S. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Min, B.J. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Cho, J.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kwon, O.S. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, I.H. (Department of Animal Resource and Science, Dankook University)
- Received : 2005.01.12
- Accepted : 2005.04.19
- Published : 2005.10.01
The aim of this study was to assess the effects of dietary complex probiotic (Lactobacillus acidophilus,
Probiotic;Digestibility;Blood Constituents;Fecal Noxious Gas;Growing Pigs
- Bomba, A., S. Gancarcikova, R. Nemcova, R. Herich, R. Kastel, A. Depta, M. Demeterova, V. Ledecky and R. Zitnan. 1998. The effect of lactic acid bacteria on intestinal metabolism and metabolic profile of gnotobiotic pigs. Deut Tierarzt Wochen. 105(10):384-389.
- Chesson, A. 1994. Probiotics and other intestinal mediators. In: (Ed. D. J. A. Cole, J. Wiseman and M. A. Varley) Principles of Pig Science. pp. 197-214. Nottingham University Press, Loughborough, UK.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirement of pigs. 10th Edition. National Research Council, Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Pollman, D. S., D. M. Danielson and E. R. Peo. 1980. Effects of microbial feed additives on performance of starter and growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 51:557-581.
- Tortuero, F., J. Rioperez, E. Fernandez and M. L. Rodriguez. 1995. Response of piglets to oral administration of lactic acid bacteria. J. Food Protect. 58(12):1369-1374.
- Schrezenmeir, J. and M. de Vrese. 2001. Probiotics, prebiotics and synbiotics-approaching a definition. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 73 (suppl):361S.
- Lessard, M. and G. J. Brisson. 1987. Effect of a lactobacillus fermentation product on growth, immune response and fecal enzyme activity in weaned pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 67:509.
- Maxwell, C. V., D. S. Buchanan, F. N. Owens, S. E. Gilliland, W. G. Luce and R. Vencl. 1983. Effect of probiotic supplementation on performance, fecal parameters and digestibility in growing finishing swine. Oklahoma Agric. Exp. Sta. Anim. Sci. Res. Rep. 114:157.
- AOAC. 1995. Official method of analysis. 16th Edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Chaney, A. L. and E. P. Marbach. 1962. Modified regents for determination of urea and ammonia. Clin. Chem. 8:131.
- Hays, V. W. 1969. Use of Drugs in Animal Feeds. National Academy of Science. Washington, DC.
- Zani, J. L., F. W. Dacruz, A. F. Dossantos and C. Gilturnes. 1998. Effect of probiotic CenBiot on the control of diarrhoea and feed efficiency in pigs. J. Appl. Microbiol. 84(1):68-71.
- Jeon, B. S., J. H. Kwag, Y. H. Yoo, J. O. Cha and H. S. Park. 1996. Effects of feeding enzyme, probiotics or yucca power on pig growth and odor-generating substances in feces. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 38(1):52.
- Park, D. Y., H. Namkung and I. K. Paik. 2001. Effects of supplementary enzymes or probiotics on the performance and ammonia gas production in weanling pigs. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 43(4):485-496.
- Jin, L. Z., R. R. Marquardt and X. Zhao. 2000. A strain of Enterococcus faecium (18C23) inhibits adhesion of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli K88 to porcine small intestine mucus. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66(10):4200-4204.
- Nemcova, R., A. Bomba, R. Herich and S. Gancarcikova. 1998. Colonization capability of orally administered Lactobacillus strains in the gut of gnotobiotic piglets. Deut Tierarzt Wochen. 105(5):199-200.
- Conway, P. L. and X. Wang. 1997. The role of probiotics and indigestible carbohydrates in intestinal health. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society of Australia 21:1-5.
- Kornegay, E. T. and C. R. Risley. 1996. Nutrient digestibility of a corn-soybean meal diet as influenced by Bacillus products fed to finishing swine. J. Anim. Sci. 74:799-805.
- SAS. 1996. SAS user’s guide. Release 6.12 edition. SAS Institude. Inc Cary NC. USA.
- Hale, O. M. and G. L. Newton. 1979. Effects of a nonviable lactobacillus species fermentation product on performance of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 48:770.
- Abe, F., N. Ishibashi and S. Shimamura. 1995. Effect of administration of bifidobacteria and lactic acid bacteria to newborn calves and piglets. J. Dairy Sci. 78(12):2838-2846.
- Harper, A. F., E. T. Kornegay, K. L. Bryant and H. R. Thomas. 1983. Efficacy of virginiamycin and a commercially-available lactobacillus probiotic in swine diets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 8:69.
- Spriet, S. M., J. A. Decuypere and H. K. Henderickx. 1987. Effect of Bacillus toyoi (Toyocerin) on the gastrointestinal microflora, concentration of some bacterial metabolites, digestibility of the nutrients and the small intestinal mean retention time in pigs. Meded. Fac. Landbouwkd. Rijksuniv. Gent. 52:1673.
- Effects of CS682, a Fermentation Product of Korean Soil Bacteria, on Growth Performance in Chickens and Pigs vol.20, pp.2, 2010, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.2.231
- B301 on the growth performance, immune parameters and caecum microflora of broiler chickens vol.100, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12388
- ) protects against enteric pathogens in postweaning piglets vol.118, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jam.12729
- Effects of multistrain probiotics on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood profiles, faecal microbial shedding, faecal score and noxious gas emission in weaning pigs vol.100, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12501
- Effects of supplementing growing-finishing pig diets with Bacillus spp. probiotic on growth performance and meat-carcass grade qualitytraits vol.45, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000300002
- Effects of complex probiotic supplementation in growing pig diets with and without palm kernel expellers on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood parameters, fecal microbial shedding and noxious gas emission vol.89, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12965
- Effect of Postpartum Endocrine Function, Metabolism, and Mastitis on Fertility in High-Yielding Cows – A Review vol.18, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2478/aoas-2018-0008
- Application of Complex Probiotics in Swine Nutrition – A Review vol.18, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.2478/aoas-2018-0005