- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Activity of Some Yogurt Starter Cultures
- Kim, H.S. (Product and Utility Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Chae, H.S. (Product and Utility Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Jeong, S.G. (Product and Utility Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Ham, J.S. (Product and Utility Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Im, S.K. (Product and Utility Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Ahn, C.N. (Product and Utility Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, J.M. (Product and Utility Division, National Livestock Research Institute)
- Received : 2004.04.09
- Accepted : 2004.07.26
- Published : 2005.02.01
Several commercial yogurt starter cultures (L. acidophilus LA5, L. casei 01, L. acidophilus LA100, L. bulgaricus LB207 and L. rhamnosus GG744) were investigated for antioxidant activity by using in vitro assays. From the results of the present work, all strains tested showed varying degrees of antioxidant activity. L. bulgaricus LB207 showed the highest antioxidant activity, with a linoleic acid peroxidation inhibition of 81.3%. Hydroxy radical scavenging activity, ferrous iron chelating activity, reducing power and superoxide dismutase (SOD) activity were also studied. L. bulgaricus LB207 showed the highest hydroxy radical scavenging activity and L. casei 01 showed the highest chelating activity. L. bulgaricus LB207 and L. acidophilus LA100 showed good reducing power. All the strains in this study showed low SOD activity. The results of the present work suggest that antioxidant activity of L. bulgaricus LB207 due to its strong hydroxy radical scavenging activity and reducing power.
Yogurt Starter Culture;Antioxidant Activity;Lipid Peroxidation
- Ahotupa, M., M. Saxelin and R. Korpela. 1996. Antioxidative properties of Lactobacollus GG. Nutr. Today Supp. 31:51-52S.
- Barreto, J. C., G. S. Smith, N. H. P. Strobel, P. A. McQuillin and T. A. Miller. 1995. Trephthalic acid: a dosimeter for the detection of hydroxy radicals in vitro. Life Sci. 56:89-96.
- Farr, S. B. and T. Kogoma. 1991. Oxidative stress response in Escherichia coli and Salmonellas typhimurium. Microbiol. Rev. 55:561-585.
- Nishino, T., H. Shibahara-Sone, H. Kikuchi-Hayakawa and F. Ishikawa. 2000. Transit of radical scavenging activity of milk products prepared maillard reaction and Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota fermentation through the hamster intestine. J. Dairy Sci. 83:915-922.
- Yen, G. C. and H. Y. Chen. 1995. Antioxidant activity of various tea extracts in relation to their antimutagenicity. J. Agric. Food Chem. 43:1455-1461.
- Namiki, M. 1990. Antioxidants/antimutagens in foods. CRC Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 29:273-300.
Fridovich, I. 1997. Superoxide anion radical (O
$_2$), superoxide dismutases and related matters. J. Biol. Chem. 272:18515-18517.
- Chandan, R. C. 1989. Yogurt:Nutritional and health properties. Natl. Yogurt Assoc. McLean VA.
- Stecchini, M. L., M. D. Torre and M. Munari. 2001. Determination of peroxy radical scavenging of lactic acid bacteria. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 64:183-188.
- Yen, G. C. and J. Wu. 1999. Antioxidant and radical scavenging properties of extracts from Ganoderma tsugae. Food Chem. 65:375-379.
- Gutteridge, J. M. C., R. Richmond and B. Halliwell. 1979. Inhibition of the iron-catalyzed formation of hydroxy radicals from superoxide of lipid peroxidation by desferrioxamine. Biochem. J. 184:469-472.
- Kaizu, H., M. Sasaki, H. Nakajima and Y. Suzuki. 1993. Effect of antioxidative lactic acid bacteria on rats fed a diet deficient in vitamin E. J. Dairy Sci. 76:2493-2499.
- Kullisaar, T., M. Zilmer, M. Mikelsaar, T. Vihalemm, H. Annuk, C. Kairane and A. Kilk. 2002. Two antioxidative lactobacilli strains as promising probiotics. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 72:215-224.
- Halliwell, B. and J. M. C. Gutteridge. 1990. Iron and free radical reactions, two aspects of antioxidant protection. Trends Biochem. Sci. 11:372-375.
- Korpela, R., K. Peuhkuri, T. Lähteenmäki, E. Sievi, M. Saxelin and H. Vapaatalo. 1997. Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG shows antioxidative properties in vascular endothelial cell culture. Milchwissenschaft. 52:503-505.
- Battino, M., P. Bullon, M. Wilson and H. Newman. 1999. Oxidative injury and challenge of antioxidants to free radicals and reactive oxygen species. Critical Rev. Oral Biol. Medi. 10:458-476.
- Lin, M. Y. and C. L. Yen. 1999c. Reactive oxygen species and lipid peroxidation product-scavenging ability of yogurt organisms. J. Dairy Sci. 82:1629-1634.
- Warriner, K. S. and J. G. Morris. 1995. The effects of aeration on the bioreductive abilities of some hetero fermentative lactic acid bacteria. Lett. Appl. Mircobiol. 20:323-327.
- Halliwell, B. and J. M. C. Gutteridge. 1999. Free radicals in Biology and Medicine. Clarendon Press.
- Amanatidou, A., E. J. Smia, M. H. J. Bennik and L. G. M. Gorris. 2001. Antioxidative properties of Lactobacillus sake upon exposure to elevated oxygen concentrations. FEMS Microbiol. Letters. 203:87-94.
- Lin, M. Y. and C. L. Yen. 1999a. Antioxidative ability of lactic acid bacteria. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:1460-1466.
- Oyaizu, M. 1986. Studies on products of browning reactions:Antioxidative activities of products of browning reaction prepared from glucosamine. Jpn. J. Nutr. 4:307-315.
- Halliwell, B. 1994. Free radicals and antioxidants:a personal view. Nutr. Rev. 52:253-265.
- Kim, S. J., J. S. Ahn and H. S. Kwak. 2003. Microencapsulated iron for drink yogurt fortification. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:581-587.
- Lin, M. Y. and C. L. Yen. 1999b. Inhibition of lipid peroxidation by Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium logum. J. Agric. Food Chem. 47:3661-3664.
- Lin, M. Y. and F. J. Chang. 2000. Antioxidative effect of intestinal bacteria Bifidobacterium longum ATCC 15708 and Lactobacillus acidophilus ATCC 4356. Digestive Diease and Sci. 45:1617-1622.
- Microbiological, Physicochemical, and Antioxidant Properties of Plain Yogurt and Soy Yogurt vol.49, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7845/kjm.2013.3074
- Donkey Milk for Manufacture of Novel Functional Fermented Beverages vol.80, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.12862
- Characteristic of antioxidant activity of dry-cured pork loins inoculated with probiotic strains of LAB vol.15, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/19476337.2016.1271828
- Should Research on the Nutritional Potential and Health Benefits of Fermented Cereals Focus More on the General Health Status of Populations in Developing Countries? vol.5, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms5030040
- alleviates clinical symptoms of colitis induced by dextran sulphate sodium salt in BALB/c mice vol.5, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3920/BM2013.0041
- AR501 Alleviates the Oxidative Stress of D-Galactose-Induced Aging Mice Liver by Upregulation of Nrf2-Mediated Antioxidant Enzyme Expression vol.83, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.14200