- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Yield and Chemical Composition of Cassava Foliage and Tuber Yield as Influenced by Harvesting Height and Cutting Interval
- Khang, Duong Nguyen (Department of Animal Physiology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine Nong Lam University) ;
- Wiktorsson, Hans (Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Animal Nutrition and Management) ;
- Preston, Thomas R. (University of Tropical Agriculture Foundation, TOSOLY)
- Received : 2004.09.26
- Accepted : 2005.02.16
- Published : 2005.07.01
Cassava;Foliage;Tuber;Harvesting Height;Cutting Interval
- Hong, N. T. T., M. Wanapat, C. Wachirapakorn, P. Pakdee and P. Rowlinson. 2003. Effects of timing of initial cutting and subsequent cutting on yields and chemical compositions of cassava hay and its supplementation on lactating dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1763-1769.
- Tung, C. M., J. B. Liang, S. L. Tan, H. K. Ong and Z. A. Jelan. 2001. Foliage productivity and growth persistency of three local cassava varieties. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:1253-1259.
- Yeoh, H. H. and H. Y. Oh. 1979. Cyanide content of cassava, Malayan Agric. J. 52:24-28.
- Jalloh, A. 1998. Cassava plant population and leaf harvesting effects on the productivity of cassava-rice intercrop on the upland in Sierra Leone. Trop. Agri. (Trinidad). 75:67-71.
- Man, N. V. and H. Wiktorsson. 2001. Cassava tops ensiled with or without molasses as additive effects on quality, feed intake and digestibility by heifers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:624-630.
- Gomez, G. and M. Valdivieso. 1984. Cassava for animal feeding: effect of variety and plant age on production of leaves and roots. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 11:49-55.
- Lutaladio, N. B. and H. C. Ezumah. 1981. Cassava leaf harvesting in Zaire. In: (Ed. E. R. Terry, K. A. Oduro and F. Caveness), Tropical Root Crops: Research Strategies for the 1980s. International Development Research Center, Ottawa, Canada, pp. 134-136.
- Terrill, T. H., A. M. Rowan, G. B. Douglas and T. N. Barry. 1992. Determination of extractable and bound condensed tannin concentrations in forage plants, protein-concentrate meals and cereal grains. J. Sci. Food Agric. 58:321-329. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740580306
- Khang, D. N. and H. Wiktorsson. 2000. Effects of cassava leaf meal on the rumen environment of local yellow cattle fed ureatreated paddy straw. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1102-1108.
- Mead, R., R. N. Curnow and A. M. Hasted. 1993. Statistical methods in agriculture and experimental biology. (2nd Ed.), London: Chapman and Hall, p. 415.
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists (15th Ed.), Washington, DC. 1:69-90.
- Arvidsson, K. and J. Sandberg. 2003. Cassava (Manihot esculanta Crantz) foliage: a crop by-product and potential protein feed for dairy cattle in Vietnam. MSc thesis. Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, Sweden.
- Dahniya, M. T., C. O. Oputa and S. K. Hahn. 1981. Effects of harvesting frequency on leaf and root yields of cassava. Expl. Agric. 17:91-95. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0014479700011273
- Man, N. V. and H. Wiktorsson. 2002. Effect of molasses on nutritional quality of cassava and Gliricidia tops silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15:1294-1299.
- Molina, J. L. and M. A. El-Sharkawy. 1995. Increasing crop production in cassava by fertilizing production of planting material. Field Crops Res. 44:151-157.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597.
- Lockard, R. G., M. A. Saqui and D. D. Wounuah. 1985. Effects of time and frequency of leaf harvest on growth and yield of cassava (Manihot esculenta Crants) in Liberia. Field Crops Res. 12:175-180.
- Meyrelles, L., N. A. MacLeod and T. R. Preston. 1977. Cassava forage as a source of protein: effect of population density and age of cutting. Trop. Anim. Prod. 2:18-26.
- Simwambana, M. S. C., T. U. Ferguson and D. S. O. Osiru. 1992. The effects of time to first shoot removal on leaf vegetable quality in cassava (Manihot esculaenta Crants). J. Sci. Food Agric. 60:319-325. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740600308
- Effects of various plant protein sources in high-quality feed block on feed intake, rumen fermentation, and microbial population in swamp buffalo vol.43, pp.8, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-011-9836-y
- Strategic supplementation of cassava top silage to enhance rumen fermentation and milk production in lactating dairy cows in the tropics vol.50, pp.7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-018-1593-8