- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Estimates of Parameters for Genetic Relationship between Reproductive Performances and Body Condition Score of Hanwoo Cows
- Choi, S.B. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A.) ;
- Lee, J.W. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A.) ;
- Choy, Y.H. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A.) ;
- Na, K.J. (National Livestock Research Institute, R.D.A.) ;
- Kim, N.S. (Dept. Animal Science, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2004.06.17
- Accepted : 2005.02.22
- Published : 2005.07.01
This study was conducted to estimate phenotypic and genetic parameters of body condition score (BCS) and reproductive traits in Hanwoo cows. DFREML procedures were applied to obtain variance-covariance components and heritability estimates with single or two-trait models. Estimates of phenotypic correlations of BCS at service with BCS at calving was 0.16 and 0.26 with calving interval, 0.08 with gestation length, and 0.06 with number of services per conception, respectively. Estimates of phenotypic correlation of BCS at calving was 0.10 with calving interval, 0.13 with gestation length, and 0.10 with number of services per conception, respectively. Estimates of phenotypic correlation were low and negative, -0.11 between calving interval and gestation length and -0.13 between gestation length and number of services per conception. Estimates of direct genetic correlation were -0.06, between BCS at service and BCS at calving, 0.37 between BCS at service and BCS at weaning, and -0.18 between BCS at calving and BCS at weaning. Estimates of direct genetic correlation of days from calving to the 1st service were 0.17 with number of services per conception and -0.21 with BCS at service. Estimates of direct genetic correlation for BCS at calving were -0.02 with number of services per conception and -0.08 with BCS at service. Estimates of direct genetic correlation for BCS at weaning were 0.02 with number of services per conception and -0.07 with BCS at service. Estimates of direct heritability from single trait analyses were 0.13 for BCS at service, 0.20 for BCS at calving, 0.02 for BCS at weaning, and 0.20 for number of service per conception, respectively. Estimates of direct heritability were 0.20 for birth weight and 0.10 for weaning weight.
Body Condition Score;Genetic Correlation;Heritability;Hanwoo
- Beef Improvement Federation. 1996. BIF Guidelines for uniform beef improvement programs.
- Nelsen, T. C. and D. D. Kress. 1979. Estimates of heritabilities and correlations for production characters of Angus and Hereford calves. J. Anim. Sci. 48:286-292.
- Whitman, R. W. 1975. Weight change, body condition and beef cow reproduction. Ph. D. Dissertation. Colorado State Univ., Fort Collins.
- Boldman, K. G., L. A. Kriese, L. D. Van Vleck, C. P. Van Tassell and S. D. Kachman. 1995. A manual for use of MTDFREML A set of programs to obtain estimates of variances and covariances. USDA, ARS.
- Shin, O. Y., J. B. Kim, K. J. Han and Y. I. Park. 1990. Estimation of genetic parameters for economic traits in Korean native cattle (Han Woo). Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 32(4):190-197.
- Yang, R. Q. 2004. Estimation of genetic parameters for body weight in Chinese Simmental cattle using random regression Model. ). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(2):914-918. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.914
- Herd, D. B. and L. R. Sprott. 1986. Body condition, nutrition, and reproduction of beef cows. Texas Agricultural Extension Service Bulletin B-1526.
- Lee, D. H. and H. C. Kim. 2004. Genetic relationship between ultrasonic and carcass measurements for meat qualities in Korean steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(1):7-12.
- Shanks, R. D., M. M. Schutz and A. E. Freeman. 1997. Annual report of cooperative regional research project. S-284.
- Rasby, R. and J. Gosey. 1998. Using cow body condition score to manage your beef herd. Univ. of Nebraska. Cooperative extension educational programs.
- Lee, M. Y. and B. K. Ohh. 1985. Relation and estimation of heritabilities for body weight and body measuremens of Korean cattle (Hanwoo). Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 27(11):691-695.
- Arango, J. A., L. V. Cundiff and L. D. Van Vleck. 2002. Genetic parameters for weight, weight adjusted for body condition score, height, and body condition score in beed cows. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3112-3122.
- Northcutt, S. L. and D. E. Wilson. 1993. Genetic parameter estimates and expected progeny differences for mature size in Angus cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1148-1153.
- Choi, S. B., J. W. Lee, N. S. Kim, S. H. Na, J. F. Keown and L. D. Van Vleck. 2000. Estimation of genetic parameters for direct, maternal and grandmaternal genetic effects for birth, weaning and six month weights of Hanwoo (Korean cattle). Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13(2):149-154.
- Genetic variability of maternal effect on body measurements and its intra- and inter-genetic relationship with direct effect in Japanese Black calves vol.83, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2011.00936.x