- Volume 18 Issue 1
There were two trials involved in the experiment. Trial 1: the trial was conducted on two Taiwan Sugar Corporation (TSC) pig farms. One was located in the north of Taiwan and the other was located in the south. Both farms had wet pad and forced ventilation (WPFV) and conventional open design (COD) boar and sow houses. There were 12 Duroc boars, age ranging from 12-24 months. Half of them (6 boars) were raised in a WPFV pig house, and the other half were kept in a COD house. Semen was collected at 5-day intervals from May
- Ciereszko, A., J. S. Ottobre and J. Glogowski. 2000. Effects of season and breed on sperm acrosin activity and semen quality of boars. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 64:89-96 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4320(00)00194-9
- Enne, G., P. V. Beccaro and C. Tarocco. 1979. A note on the effect of climate on fertility in pigs in the Padana Valley of Italy. Anim. Prod. 28:115-117.
- Hsia, L. C. and G. H. Lu. 1989. Nutrient requirement of growingfinishing pigs when fed ad libitum under hot and cool seasons. II. The effect of protein and amino acid levels of food on the performance of growing-finishing pigs. J. Agric. Asso. China, New Series 145:45-52.
- Hsia, L. C. and G. H. Lu. 2004. The effect of high environmental temperature and nutrient density on pig performance, conformation and carcass characteristics under restricted feeding system. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(2):250-258.
- Hurtgen, J. P. and A. D. Leman. 1980. Seasonal influence on the fertility of sows and gilts. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 177(1):631-635.
- Larsson, K and S. Einarsson. 1984. Seminal changes in boars after heat stress. Acta Vet. Scand. Vol. 25:57-66.
- Mazzarri, G., F. Du Mensil du Buisson and R. Ortavant. 1968. Action of temperature on spermatogenesis, sperm production and fertility of the boar. 6th Intern. Congr. Ani. Reprod. A.I. Paris.
- Thibault, C., M. Courot, L. Martinet, P. Manleon, F. Dumesnil Du Buisson, R. Ortavant, J. Pelletier and J. P. Signoret. 1966. Regulation of breeding season and estrus cycles by light and external stimuli in some mammals. J. Anim. Sci. (Suppl). 25:119-139.
- Wettemann, R. P., M. E. Wells, R. K. Johnson and R. Vencl. 1978. Influence of cooling methods on boar fertility with summer breeding. Anim. Sci. Res. Rep. 230-232.
- Hsia, L. C. and G. H. Lu. 1988. Nutrient requirement of growingfinishing pigs when fed ad libitum under hot and cool seasons. I. The effect of energy level of food on the performance of finishing pigs. J. Agric. Asso. China, New Series 141:62-66.
- Park, C. S. and Y. J. Yi. 2002. Comparison of semen characteristics, sperm freezability and testosterone concentration between Duroc and Yorkshire boars during seasons. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 73:53-61.
- McNitt, J. I., C. B. Tanner and N. L. First. 1972. Thermoregulation on the scrotal system of the boar. II. Evaporative heat exchange. J. Anim. Sci. 34(1):117-121.
- Wettemann, R. P., M. E. Wells, I. W. Brock, R. K. Johnson, R. Harp and R. Vencl. 1977. Recovery of normal semen quality after heat stress of boars. Anim. Sci. Res. Rep. 152-156.
- Corteel, J. M., J. P. Sigornet and F. Du Mensil du Buisson. 1964. Variations Saisonnieres de la reproduction de la truie et facteurs favorisant l'anestrus temporaire. Fifth Congr. Intern. Reprod. Anim. Insem. Artif. P. 536.
- Okauchi, K. and K. Hirakata. 1962. Studies on the characters of boar semen. 1. Effect of environmental temperature. (Bull. Fae. Agric. Univ. Miyazak: 7:117-123 Japan). Anim. Breed. Abst. Vol. 31:2292.
- Paterson, A. M., J. Baker and D. R. Lindsay. 1977. Summer infertility in pigs: its incidence and characteristics in an Australian commercial piggery. Aust. J. Experi. Agric. Anim. Husb. 18:698-701.
- Steinbach, J. 1971. Effect of season and breed on sow performance in the seasonal equatorial climate of southern Nigeria. J. Agric. Sci. Camb. 77:331-336.
- Minin, V. I. 1967. Changes in quantitative and qualitative indices of the year. Anim. Breed. Abst. 37:114.
- Wettemann, R. P., M. E. Wells, I. T. Omtvedt, C. E. Pope and E. J. Turman. 1976. Influence of elevated ambient temperature on reproductive performance of boar. J. Anim. Sci. 42(3):664-669.
- Wettemann, R. P., M. E. Wells and R. K. Johnson. 1979. Reproductive characteristics of boars during and after exposure to increased ambient temperature. J. Anim. Sci. 49(6):1501-1505.
- Rasbech, O. 1971. Pathological aspects of pig breeding. Acta Conv. Int. Recond. F.A. Specie Suina, Reggio Emilia.
- Stone, B. A. 1981. Thermal characteristics of the testis and epididymis of the boar. J. Reprod. Fert. 63:551-557. https://doi.org/10.1530/jrf.0.0630551
- Wallace, H. D. and G. E. Combs. 1962. Sow productivity as influenced by season. Fla. Agric. Exp. Sta. A.H. Mimeo 63-2.
- Hsia, L. C. 2002. How to release heat stress from dairy cattle. International Training on Strategies for Reducing Heat Stress in Dairy Cattle. pp. 128-140. Taiwan Livestock Research Institute, ROC.
- Steinbach, J. 1972. The effect of tropical climate on pig fertility. Anim. Res. Develop. Vol. 1:73.
- Trudeau, V. L., D. L. Grinwich and L. M. Sandford. 1988. Seasonal variation in the blood concentration of 16-androstenes in adult Landrace boars. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 68:565-568.
- Lawrence, J. A., E. J. Turman, T. Rich, A. Sharp and J. C. Hillier. 1970. A study of seasonal changes in boar semen. Mise. Publs. Okla. Agric. Exp. Stn. No. M.P. 84:77-83.
- Ninomiya, H., T. Yoshimoto, T. Tanaka, H. Tanida and T. Nakamura. 1988. Effects of high ambient temperature on the physiological responses and spermatogenesis of boars. Proc. 6th Wld. Conf. Anim. Prod. p. 650.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 2000. SAS/STAT User's Guide: Statistics. Version 8. SAS Institute, Inc. Cary, NC.
- Steinbach, J. 1968. Effects of ambient temperatures during the processes of follicular development, ovulation and implantation on litter size in swine. A preliminary report. VI Cong. Intern. Reprod. Anim. Insem. Artif. Paris. 1:325-327.
- Cheng, S. P. and S. C. Wung. 1974. A study of seasonal changes in the boar semen characteristics. Annual Research Report of Animal Industry Research Institute, Taiwan Sugar Corporation. pp. 89-103.
- Mauget, R. and J. Boissin. 1987. Seasonal changes in testis weight and testosterone concentration in the European wild boar (Sus Scrofa L.) Anim. Reprod. Sci. Vol. 13:67-74.
- McNitt, J. I. and N. L. First. 1970. Effect of 72-hour heat stress on semen quality in boars. Int. J. Biometeor. 14(4):373-380.
- Christenson, R. K., H. S. Teague, A. P. Grifo Jr. and W. L. Roller. 1972. The effect of high environmental temperature on the boar. Ohio Swine Research and Information Report. Research Summary 61, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center Wooster.
- Malmgren, L. and K. Larsson. 1984. Semen quality and fertility after heat stress in boar. Acta Vet. Scand. Vol. 25:425-435.
- Wettemann, R. P. and C. Desjardins. 1979. Testicular function in boars exposed to elevated ambient temperature. Biology of Reproduction 20:235-241.
- Hurtgen, J. P., A. D. Leman and B. Crabo. 1980. Seasonal influence on estrous activity in sows and gilts. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 176(2):119-123.
- Cameron, D. A. and A. W. Blackshaw. 1980. The effect of elevated ambient temperature on spermatogenesis in the boar. J. Reprod. Fert. 59:173-179.
- Omtvedt, I. T. 1972. Influence of heat stress on sow reproductive performance. American Pork Congress, March 21-23, pp. 61-69.
- Hsia, L. C. 1990b. Effect of high environmental temperature on GF pigs. The Research and Application of Pig Technology. Pig Res. Ins. Taiwan. pp. 75-107.
- Mikitas, A. N. 1969. Changes in character of boar semen. Svinovodstvo. Mosk. 23(3):18-19. Anim. Breed. Abst. 37:3905.
- Winfield, C. G., P. H. Hemsworth, D. B. Galloway and A. W. Makin. 1981. Sexual behaviour and semen characteristics of boars: effects of high temperature. Aust. J. Exp. Agric. Anim. Husb. 21:39-45.
- Borg, K. E., D. D. Lunstra and R. K. Christenson. 1993. Semen characteristics, testicular size and reproductive hormone concentrations in mature Duroc, Meishan, Fengjing and Minzhu boras. Biology of Reproduction 49:515-521.
- Hsia, L. C. 1990a. The effect of high environmental temperature on animal production. Proceedings of the 5th AAAP Animal Science Congress. Vol. 1:83-218.
- Tempering ventilation air in a swine finishing barn with a low-cost earth-to-water heat exchanger vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.96