- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Pasture Finishing on Beef Quality of Japanese Shorthorn Steers
- Muramoto, T. (Department of Integrated Research for Agriculture, National Agricultural Research Center for Tohoku Region) ;
- Higashiyama, M. (Department of Integrated Research for Agriculture, National Agricultural Research Center for Tohoku Region) ;
- Kondo, T. (Department of Integrated Research for Agriculture, National Agricultural Research Center for Tohoku Region)
- Received : 2004.06.23
- Accepted : 2004.11.03
- Published : 2005.03.01
Effect of pasture finishing on
Supported by : National Agricultural Research Center
- Cross, H. R., Z. L. Carpenter and G. C. Smith. 1973. Effect of intramuscular collagen and elastin on bovine muscle tenderness. J. Food Sci. 38:998-1003.
- Department of Health 1994. Report on Health and Social Subjects No. 46. Nutritional Aspects of Cardiovascular Disease. Her Majesty's Stationery Office. London.
- Muramoto, T., M. Higashiyama and T. Kondo. 2004a. Comparison of beef color stability during display of two muscles between Japanese Shorthorn steers and Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1303-1308.
- Renerre, M. and J. Bonhomme. 1991. Effect of electrical stimulation, boning temperature and conditioning mode on display colour of beef meat. Meat Sci. 29:191-202.
- Sanders, T. A. B. 1988. Essential and trans-fatty acids in nutrition. Nutrition Research Review 1:57-78.
- Savell, J. W. and H. R. Cross. 1988. The role of fat in the palatability of beef, pork, and lamb. In: Designing foods. Animal product options in the marketplace. National Academy Press, Washington DC. pp. 345-355.
- Mitsumoto, M., S. Ozawa, T. Mitsuhashi and K. Koide. 1998. Effect of dietary vitamin E supplementation for one week before slaughter on drip, colour and lipid stability during display in Japanese Black steer beef. Meat Sci. 49:165-174.
- Yang, A., T. W. Larsen and R. K. Tume. 1992. Carotenoid and retinol concentrations in serum, adipose tissue and liver and carotenoid transport in sheep, goats and cattle. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 43:1807-1809.
- Green, B. E., I. Hsin and M. W. Zipser. 1971. Retardation of oxidative color changes in raw ground beef. J. Food Sci. 36:940-942.
- Renerre, M. 1990. Factors involved in the discoloration of beef meat. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 25:613-630.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1985. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
Yang, A., M. J. Brewster, M. C. Lanari and R. K. Tume. 2002. Effect of vitamin E supplementation on
$\alpha$-tocopherol and $\beta$- carotene concentrations in tissues from pasture- and grain-fed cattle. Meat Sci. 60:35-40.
Jukola, E., J. Hakkarainen, H. Saloniemi and S. Sankari. 1996. Effect of fertilization on selenium in feedstuffs and selenium, vitamin E, and
$\beta$-carotene concentrations in blood of cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 79:831-837.
- Mallikarjunan, P. and G. S. Mittal. 1994. Color kinetics during beef carcass chilling. Transactions of the ASAE. 37:203-209.
- Muramoto, T., M. Shibata and N. Nakanishi. 2003b. Effect of slaughter age on beef color stability during display of four muscles from Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1364-1368.
- Bennink, M. R. and K. Ono. 1982. Vitamin B12, E & D content of raw and cooked beef. J. Food Sci. 47:1786-1792.
- French, P., C. Stanton, F. Lawless, E. G. O'Riordan, F. J. Monahan, P. J. Caffrey and A. P. Moloney. 2000. Fatty acid composition, including conjugated linoleic acid, of intramuscular fat from steers offered grazed grass, grass silage, or concentrate based diets. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2849-2855.
- Sanudo, C., M. E. Enser, M. M. Campo, G. R. Nute, G. Maris, I. Sierra and J. D. Wood. 2000. Fatty acid composition and sensory characteristics of lamb carcasses from Britain and Spain. Meat Sci. 54:339-346.
Simonne, A. H., N. R. Green and D. I. Bransby. 1996. Consumer acceptability and
$\beta$-carotene content of beef as related to cattle finishing diets. J. Food Sci. 61:1254-1256.
- Enser, M., K. Hallet, B. Hewitt, G. A. J. Fursey, J. D. Wood and G. Harrington. 1998. Fatty acid content and composition of UK beef and lamb muscle in relation to production system and implications for human nutrition. Meat Sci. 49:329-341.
Muramoto, T., N. Nakanishi, M. Shibata and K. Aikawa. 2003a. Effect of dietary
$\beta$-carotene supplementation on beef color stability during display of two muscles from Japanese Black steers. Meat Sci. 63:39-42.
- Stewart, M. R., M. W. Zipser and B. W. Watts. 1965. The use of reflectance spectrophotometry for the assay of raw meat pigments. J. Food Sci. 30:464-469.
- Varela, A., B. Oliete, T. Moreno, C. Portela, L. Monserrrat, J. A. Carballo and L. Sanchez. 2004. Effect of pasture finishing on the meat characteristics and intramuscular fatty acid profile of steers of the Rubia Gallega breed. Meat Sci. 67:515-522.
- Garton, G. A. 1960. Fatty acid composition of the lipids of pasture grasses. Nature (London) 187:511-512.
- Mitchell, G. E., A. W. Reed and S. A. Rogers. 1991. Influence of feeding regimen on the sensory qualities and fatty acid contents of beef steaks. J. Food Sci. 56:1102-1103.
- Turek, J. J., I. A. Schoenlein, B. A. Watkins, W. G. Vanalstine, L. K. Clark and K. Knox. 1996. Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate responses of pigs to mycoplasma-hyopneumoniae infection. J. Nutr. 126:1541-1548.
- Sanders, S. K., J. B. Morgan, D. M. Wulf, J. D. Tatum, S. N. Williams and G. C. Smith. 1997. Vitamin E supplementation of cattle and shelf-life of beef for the Japanese market. J. Anim. Sci. 75:2634-2640.
- Schaefer, D. M., Q. Liu, C. Faustman and M-C. Yin. 1995. Supranutritional administration of vitamins E and C improves oxidative stability of beef. J. Nutr. 125:1792S-1798S.
- Buckley, D. J., J. I. Gray, A. Asghar, J. F. Price, R. L. Crackel, A. M. Booren, A. M. Pearson and E. R. Miller. 1989. Effects of dietary antioxidants and oxidized oil on membranal lipid stability and pork product quality. J. Food Sci. 54:1193-1197.
- Shahidi, F. 1992. Prevention of lipid oxidation in muscle foods by nitrite and nitrite-free compositions. In: Lipid oxidation in food. ACS Symposium Series 500, Washington DC. pp. 161-182.
- Vestergaard, M., N. Oksbjerg and P. Henckel. 2000. Influence of feeding intensity, grazing and finishing feeding on muscle fiber characteristics and meat color of semitendinosus, longissimus dorsi and supraspinatus muscles of young bulls. Meat Sci. 54:175-185.
- Watanabe, A., C. C. Daly and C. E. Devine. 1996. The effects of the ultimate pH of meat on tenderness changes during ageing. Meat Sci. 42:67-78.
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Arnold, R. N., S. C. Arp, K. K. Scheller, S. N. Williams and D. M. Schaefer. 1993. Tissue equilibration and subcellular distribution of vitamin E relative to myoglobin and lipid oxidation in displayed beef. J. Anim. Sci. 71:105-118.
- Folch, J. M., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:495-509.
- Mitsumoto, M., R. N. Arnold, D. M. Schaefer and R. G. Cassens. 1995. Dietary vitamin E supplementation shifted weight loss from drip to cooking loss in fresh beef longissimus during display. J. Anim. Sci. 73:2289-2294.
Muramoto, T., M. Shibata and N. Nakanishi. 2004b. Relationships between muscle
$\alpha$-tocopherol concentrations and metmyoglobin percentages during display of six muscles of Japanese Black steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1014-1018.
- Faustman, C. and R. G. Cassens. 1990. The biochemical basis for discoloration in fresh meat: A review. J. Muscle Foods 1:217-243.
- vol.86, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2508/chikusan.86.183
- Influence of feeding a grass hay diet during the early stage of the fattening period on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat production in Japanese Black steers vol.90, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13139
- Comprehensive evaluation of growth performance and meat characteristics of a fattening system combining grazing with feeding rice whole-crop silage in Japanese Black steers pp.13443941, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13176