- Volume 18 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Changes in Serum Protein Profile, Cholesterol and Blood Glucose during Endotoxic Shock in Buffalo Calves Supplemented with Vitamin E and Selenium
- Sharma, Neeraj (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, College of Veterinary Science) ;
- Singha, S.P.S. (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, College of Veterinary Science) ;
- Ahuja, C.S. (Department of Veterinary Biochemistry, College of Veterinary Science)
- Received : 2004.01.26
- Accepted : 2004.06.02
- Published : 2005.02.01
A study was conducted to monitor the changes in serum protein profile, cholesterol and blood glucose during endotoxic shock in buffalo calves and also to assess the role of prophylactic supplementation of vitamin E and selenium in alleviating the endotoxic effects. Fifteen male buffalo calves (6-8 months of age) were divided into three groups: Group I (control)-infused with 0.9% saline solution; Group II-infused with E. coli endotoxin at 5
Endotoxin;Vit. E and Se;Serum Biochemical Changes;Buffalo Calves
- Bhullar, P. 1998. Physiological studies on antioxidant status in different age groups of buffaloes. M. V. Sc. Thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 277:680-685.
- Lowry, O. H., N. J. Rosenbrough, A. L. Farr and R. J. Randall. 1951. Protein measurement with Folin-phenol reagent. J. Biol Chem. 193:265-275.
- Zak, B. 1957. Simple and rapid microtechnique for serum total cholesterol. Am. J. Clin. Path. 27:583.
- Mayes, P. A. 1996. Structure and functions of lipid soluble vitamins. In: Harper’s Biochemistry. 24th Edn. pp. 614-624.
- Portoles, M. T., M. Catala, A. Auton and R. Pagani. 1996. Hepatic response to oxidative stress induced by E. coli endotoxin: glutathione as an index of acute phase during endotoxic shock. Mol. and Cell. Biochem. 159:115-121.
- Singh, D. V. and S. P. S. Sodhi. 1992. Effect of shock on certain biochemical profiles of blood in calves. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 62:1031-1036.
- Gruys, E., M. J. Obwolon and J. M. Mathilda. 1994. Diagnostic significance of major acute phase proteins in veterinary clinical chemistry. Vet. Bull. 64:1009-1018.
- Kumar, R. 1989. Hormonal and biochemical profile during developmental and reproductive stages in buffalo calves. M. V. Sc. thesis, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Folin, O. and H. Wu. 1920. A system of blood analysis: Supplement 1A simplified and improved method for determination of sugar. J. Biol. Chem. 41:367-374.
- Singh, J. 1979. An investigation into pathophysiology and treatment of shock in bovines. Ph. D. dissertation, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Kaneko, J. J. 1997. Clinical Biochemistry of Domestic Animals. 5th Edn. pp. 120-138. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1976. Statistical Methods. Iowa State University Press, Iowa, USA.
- Appleton and Lange, Stamford, Connecticut, USA. Naylor, J. M. and D. S. Kronfeld. 1985. In vivo studies on hypoglycemia and lactic acidosis in endotoxic shock. Am. J. Physiol. 248:309-316.
- Sammalkorpi, K. T., V. V. Valtonen and L. P. J. Maury. 1990. Lipoproteins and acute phase response during acute infection. Interrelationships between C-reactive protein and serum amyloid-A protein and lipoproteins. Animals Medicine 22:397-401.
- Singh, R. 1998. Studies on antioxidant status of normal cycling, delayed pubertal and anestrous buffaloes. Ph. D. dissertation, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Constable, P. D., K. Yvorchuck and G. S. Jeans. 1993. The clinical use of hypertonic solution in food animals with haemorrhagic and endotoxic shock. Agriculture Practice 14:6-11
- Sandhu, T. S. and S. P. S. Singha. 2003. Effect of prophylactic supplementation of vitamin E and Se on antioxidant enzymes during endotoxic shock in buffalo calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(11):1577-1582.
- Singh, D. V. 2000. Physiological and pharmacological studies in bovine endotoxic shock and its treatment. Ph. D. dissertation, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Engel, F. L., M. G. Winton and C. N. H. Long. 1943. Biochemical studies on shock. The metabolism of amino acids and carbohydrates during haemorrhagic shock in rats. J. Expt Med. 77:397-410.
- Heinrich, P. C., J. V. Castell and T. Andus. 1990. Interleukin-6 and the acute phase response. Biochem. J. 265:621-636.
- Sakaguchi, S., N. Kanda, C. C. Hsu and O. Sakaguchi. 1981a. Lipid peroxide formation and membrane damage in endotoxin poisoned mice. Microbiology and Immunology 25 (3):229-244.
- Paul, B. S. and V. P. Vadlamudi. 1974. Anote on some normal biochemical constituents of blood of Murrah buffalo calves. Ind. J. Anim. Sci. 44:273-275.
- Philips, R. W., L. G. Chandrasena, M. S. Hand, D. Giesecke, G. Dirksen and M. Stangassinger. 1981. Metabolic effects of endotoxin in calves and pigs. Proceedings IV International Conference in Farm Animals, pp. 111-115. Munchen, Germany.
- Reinhold, J. G. 1953. Total protein, albumin and globulin. In: Standard Methods of Clinical Chemistry. Vol. I, pp. 88. Academic Press, New York, USA.
- Scrotal circumference: A predictor of testosterone concentration and certain attributes of seminal vesicles influencing buffalo male fertility vol.11, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2018.739-747