- Volume 18 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Thermal Stress on Sexual Behaviour of Superovulated Bharat Merino Ewes
- Maurya, V.P. (Adaptation Physiology Laboratory, Division of Physiology and Biochemistry Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Naqvi, S.M.K. (Adaptation Physiology Laboratory, Division of Physiology and Biochemistry Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Gulyani, R. (Adaptation Physiology Laboratory, Division of Physiology and Biochemistry Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Joshi, A. (Adaptation Physiology Laboratory, Division of Physiology and Biochemistry Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute) ;
- Mittal, J.P. (Adaptation Physiology Laboratory, Division of Physiology and Biochemistry Central Sheep and Wool Research Institute)
- Received : 2004.09.26
- Accepted : 2005.03.07
- Published : 2005.10.01
The present study was undertaken to study the effect of thermal stress on sexual behaviour of superovulated ewes. Fourteen adult Bharat Merino ewes with an average body weight of 29.4
Sheep;Synchronization;Estrus;Thermal Stress;Sexual Behaviour
Supported by : National Agricultural Technology
- Dutt, R. H. 1964. Detrimental effects of high ambient temperature on fertility and early embryo survival in sheep. Int. Biomet. 8:47-56. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02186927
- FAO. 2002. Production year book 55. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, 2002.
- Mohamed, A. A. 1974. Physiological changes in the reproductive organ of buffalo from particular to conception. Ph.D. Thesis faculty of agriculture Al Ajhar university, Egypt.
- Naqvi, S. M. K., R. Gulyani, G. K. Das and J. P. Mittal. 1998. Superoulatory response of ewes during different seasons. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 68:249-250.
- Tompkins, T. and M. J. Brayant. 1974. Oestrus behaviour of ewes and the influence of treatment with progesterone. J. Reprod. Fertil, 41:121-132.
- Dobson, H., J. E. Tebble, R. F. Smith and W. R. Ward. 2001. Is stress really all that important. Theriogenology 55:65-73.
- Farghaly, H. A. 1984. Thyroid and some ovarian hormones and their relation to reproduction in Egyptian water buffalo. MSc. Thesis, Faculty of Agriculture Cairo, University, Cairo.
- Fabre-Nys, C. and G. Veinier. 1989. Quantitative analysis of oestrus behaviour through the breeding season in two breeds of sheep. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 21:37-51.
- Lynch, J. J., G. N. Hinch and D. M. Adams. 1992. The behaviour of sheep. CAB, International and CSIRO, Australia. pp. 96-125.
- Arora, C. L. and R. C. Garg, 1998. Sheep production and breeding. International Book and Distribution Company. Lucknow
- Doney, J M., R. G. Gunn and J. S. Griffiths. 1973. The effect of pre mating stress on onset of estrus and ovulation rate in Scottish black face ewes. J. Reprod. Fertil. 35: 381-384.
- Wolfenson, D., W. W. Thatcher, L. Badinga, J. D. Savio, R. Meidan, B. J. Lew, R. Brawtal and A. Berman. 1995. The effect of heat stress on follicular development during the estrus cycle in lactating dairy cattle. Biol. Reprod. 52:1106-1113.
- Banks, E. 1964. Some aspects of sexual behaviour in domestic sheep. Ovis aries. Behaviour 23:249-279.
- Ehnert, K. and G. P. Moberg. 1991. Disruption of estrous behaviour in ewes by dexamethasone or management related stress. J. Anim. Sci. 69:2988-2994.
- Kramer, C. Y. 1956. Extension of Multiple range test to group means with unequal number of replicates. Biometrics 12:307-310. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001469
- Badinga, L., W. W. Thacher, T. Doaz, M. Drost and D. Wolfenson. 1993. Effect of environmental heat stress on follicular development and steroidogenesis in lactating Holstein cows. Theriogenology 39:797-810.
- Fabre-Nys, C., P. Poindron and J. P. Signoret. 1993. Reproductive behaviour. In: reproduction in domesticated animals. 89:147-149. (Ed. G. J. King), Elsevier,Amsterdam.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. In statistical methods. 8th Edition. Iowa state university press.
- Braden, A. W. H. and G. W. Moule. 1964. Effect of stress on ovarian morphology and oestrous cycles in ewes. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 15:967-969.
- Gangwar, P. C., C. Branton and D. L. Evans. 1965. Reproductive and physiological responses of Holstein heifers to control and natural climate. J. Dairy Sci. 48:222.
- Maurya, V. P., S. M. K. Naqvi and J. P. Mittal. 2004. Effect of dietary energy level on physiological responses and reproductive performance in Malpura sheep in hot semi-arid region of India. Small Rumin. Res. 55:117-122.
- Naqvi, S. M. K., A. Joshi, G. K. Das and J. P. Mittal. 2001. Development and application of ovine reproductive technologies: an Indian experience. Small Rumin. Res. 39:199-208.
- Fabre-Nys, C. and G. B. Martin. 1991. Hormonal control of proceptive and receptive sexual behaviour and the preovulatory surge in ewe: re-assessment of the artificial cycle model. Hormo. Beh. 25:295-312.
- Maurya, V. P., S. M. K. Naqvi and J. P. Mittal. 1998. Reproductive behaviour of Malpura and Bharat Merino ewe lamb under semi-arid condition. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 68:533-535.
- Impact of heat stress, nutritional restriction and combined stresses (heat and nutritional) on growth and reproductive performance of Malpura rams under semi-arid tropical environment vol.100, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12443
- Impact of psychosocial stress on gonadotrophins and sexual behaviour in females: role for cortisol? vol.152, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1530/REP-15-0604
- Biological ability of Malpura rams to counter heat stress challenges and its consequences on production performance in a semi-arid tropical environment pp.1744-4179, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09291016.2017.1381451