- Volume 18 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Influence of Urea Treatment and Soybean Meal (Urease) Addition on the Utilization of Wheat Straw by Sheep
- Kraidees, M.S. (Department of Animal Production, College of Agriculture, King Saud University)
- Received : 2004.05.19
- Accepted : 2005.02.18
- Published : 2005.07.01
The effect of ammoniation with urea and with soybean meal (SBM) as a source of urease on the nutritive value of wheat straw was evaluated in sheep. Twenty-four male Najdi lambs were used in a 3
Urea;Soybean Meal Urease;Wheat Straw;Digestibility;Lambs
- Ben Salem, H., A. Nefzaoui and N. Rokbani. 1994. Upgrading of sorghum stover with anhydrous ammonia or urea treatments. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 48:15-26.
- Males, J. R. and G. T. Gaskins. 1982. Growth, nitrogen retention, dry matter digestibility and ruminal characteristics associated with ammoniated wheat straw diets. J. Anim. Sci. 55(3):505-515.
- Naik, P. K., S. K. Mendiratta, V. Laxmanan, Usha R. Mehra and R. S. Dass. 2004. Effect of feeding ammoniated wheat straw treated with and without hydrochloric acid on meat quality and various sensory attributes of growing male buffalo (Bubalus bubalis) calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(4):485-490.
- SAS Institute Inc. 1998. SAS/STAT User's Guide: SAS institute. Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Streeter, C. L. and G. W. Horn. 1984. Effect of high moisture and dry ammoniation of wheat straw on its feeding value for lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 59(3):559-565.
- Zorrilla-Rios, J., G. W. Horn and R. W. McNew, 1989. Effect of ammoniation and energy supplementation on the utilization of wheat straw by sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 22:305-320.
- Mgheni Dyness, M., A. E. Kimambo, F. Sundstol and J. Maden. 1993. Influence of urea treatment or supplementation on degradation, intake and growth performance of goat fed rice straw diets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 44:209-220.
- Jayasuriya, M. C. N. and G. R. Pearce. 1983. The effect of urease enzyme on treatment time and the nutritive value of straw treated with ammonia as urea. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 8:271-281.
- Mgheni Dyness, M., A. E. Kimambo, F. Sundstol and J. Maden. 1994. The influence of urea supplementation or treatment of rice straw and fish meal supplementation on rumen environment and activity in sheep. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 49:223-235.
- Hartley, R. D. and E. C. Jones. 1978. Effect of aqueous ammonia and other alkalis on the in vitro digestibility of barley straw. J. Sci. Food Agric. 29:92-98.
- Tuen, A. A., M. M. Dahan, B. A. Young and P. Vijchulata. 1991. Intake and digestion of urea -treated, urea supplemented and untreated rice straw by goats. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 32:333-340.
- Moore, J. E. 1970. In vitro dry matter and organic matter digestion. In: (Ed. L. E. Haris) Nutrition Research Techniques for domestic and wild animals. pp. 5001-5001:5. Loran E. Haris. Logan, UT.
- Hadjipanayiotou, M. 1982. The effect of ammoniation using urea on the intake and nutritive value of chopped barley straw. Grass and Forage Sci. 37:89-93.
- Satter, L. D. and L. L. Slyter. 1974. Effect of ammonia concentration on rumen microbial protein production in vitro. Br. J. Nutr. 32:199-208.
- Mould, F. L., E. R. Orskov and S. O. Mann. 1983. Associative effects of mixed feeds. I. Effect of type and level of supplementation on the influence of the rumen fluid pH on cellulolysis in vivo and dry matter digestion of various roughages. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 10:15-30.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis 15th edn. Association of official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia.
- Tilly, J. M. A. and R. A. Terry. 1963. A two-stage technique for the in vitro digestion of forage crops. J. Br. Grassl. Soc. 18:104-111.
- Khan, M. J., J. R. Scaife and F. D. Hovell. 1999. The effect of different sources of urease enzyme on the nutritive value of wheat straw treated with urea as a source of ammonia. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:1063-1069.
- Kraiem, K., H. Abdouli and R. D. Goodrich. 1991. Comparison of the effects of urea and ammonia treatments of wheat straw on intake, digestibility and performance of sheep. Livest. Produc. Sci. 29:311-321.
- Ahmed, A., M. J. Khan, M. Shahjalal and K. M. S. Islam. 2002. Effects of feeding urea and soybean meal -treated rice straw on digestibility of feed nutrients and growth performance of Bull calves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(4):522-527.
- Herrera-Saldana, R., D. C. Church and R. O. Kellems. 1982. The effect of ammoniation treatment on intake and nutritive value of wheat straw. J. Anim. Sci. 54(3):603-608.
- Manyuchi, B., S. Mikayiri and T. Smith. 1994. Effect of treating or supplementing maize stover with urea on its utilization as feed for sheep and cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. and Technol. 49:11-23.
- Kraidees, M. S. 1997. Effects of temperature, addition of soybean meal and treatment period on the nutritive value of urea treated wheat straw. J. King Saud Univ., Agric. Sci. 9(1):73-86.
- Djajanegara, A. and P. T. Doyle. 1989. Urea supplementation compared with pretreatment. 1. Effect on intake, digestion and live weight change by sheep fed a rice straw. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 27:17-30.
- Solaiman, S. G., G. W. Horn and F. N. Owens. 1979. Ammonium hydroxide treatment on wheat straw. J. Anim. Sci. 49(3):802-808.
- Anon. 2002. Agriculture Statistical Year Book 14th Issue. Agriculture research and development affairs, department of economic studies and statistics, ministry of agriculture and water resources.
- Goering, H. K. and P. J. Van Soest. 1970. Forage fiber analyses (apparatus, reagents, procedures, and some applications). Agric. Handbook 379. ARS, USDA, Washington, DC, p. 20.
- Dias-da-Silva, A. A., A. Mascarenhas-Ferreira and V. M. Gudes-Cristina. 1988. Effects of moisture level, treatment time and soya bean meal addition on the nutritive value of urea treated maize stover. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 19:67-77.
- Williams, P. E. V., G. M. Innes and A. Brewer. 1984. Ammonia treatment of straw via the hydrolysis of urea. II. Addition of soya bean (urease), sodium hydroxide and molasses, effects on the digestibility of urea-treated straw. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 11:115-124.
- Nair, P. V., A. K. Verma, R. S. Dass and U. R. Mehra. 2002. Growth and nutrient utilization in buffalo calves fed ureaammoniated wheat straw and hydrochloric acid plus urea treated wheat straw. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(5):682-686. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.682
- Dias-da-Silva, A. A. and F. Sundstol. 1986. Urea as a source of ammonia for improving the nutritive value of wheat straw. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 14:67-79.
- Oji, U. I., D. N. Mowat and J. G. Buchanan-Smith. 1979. Nutritive value of thermo-ammoniated and steam-treated maize stover II. Rumen metabolites and rate of passage. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 4:187-197.
- Maeng, W. J., C. J. van Nevel, R. L. Baldwin and J. C. Morris. 1976. Rumen microbial growth rates and yields: effects of amino acids and protein. J. Dairy Sci. 59:68-79.
- The impact of hydrolyzing and oxidizing agents on chemical composition and digestibility of various high-fibre forages vol.73, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/gfs.12369