- Volume 1 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of smart transducer with embedded sensor for automatic process control of ultrasonic wire bonding
- Or, Siu Wing (Department of Applied Physics and Materials Research Centre, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) ;
- Chan, Helen Lai Wa (Department of Applied Physics and Materials Research Centre, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University) ;
- Liu, Peter Chou Kee (ASM Assembly Automation Ltd.)
- Received : 2003.10.23
- Accepted : 2004.07.27
- Published : 2005.01.25
A ring-shaped lead zirconate titanate (PZT) piezoceramic sensor has been integrated with the Langevin-type piezoceramic driver of an ultrasonic wire-bonding transducer to form a smart transducer for in-situ measurement of three essential bonding parameters: namely, impact force, ultrasonic amplitude and bond time. This sensor has an inner diameter, an outer diameter and a thickness of 12.7 mm, 5.1 mm and 0.6 mm, respectively. It has a specifically designed electrode pattern on the two major surfaces perpendicular to its thickness along which polarization is induced. The process-test results have indicated that the sensor not only is sensitive to excessive impact forces exerted on the devices to be bonded but also can track changes in the ultrasonic amplitude proficiently during bonding. Good correlation between the sensor outputs and the bond quality has been established. This smart transducer has good potential to be used in automatic process-control systems for ultrasonic wire bonding.
- Chan, H. L. W., Chiu, S. S., Or, S. W., Cheung, Y. M., Yuen, C. W. and Liu, P. C. K. (1999), "Sensors for ultrasonic wire bonding process control", Ferroelectrics, 232, 211-216. https://doi.org/10.1080/00150199908015793
- Chan, H. L. W., Chiu, S. S., Or, S. W. and Cheung, Y. M. (2001a), "Piezoelectric sensor for measuring bonding parameters", US Patent, No. 6 279 810 B1.
- Chan, H. L. W., Or, S. W. and Choy, C. L. (2001b), "Ultrasonic transducer", US Patent, No. 6 286 747 B1.
- Charles, K. Jr. (1989), "Electrical interconnections", Electronic Materials Handbook Volume 1, ASM International.
- Chiu, S. S., Chan, H. L. W., Or, S. W., Cheung, Y. M. and Liu, P. C. K. (2003), "Effect of electrode pattern on the outputs of piezosensors for wire bonding process control", Mater. Sci. Eng. B-Solid State Mater. Adv. Technol., 99(1-3), 121-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-5107(02)00508-1
- Chu, P. W. P., Chong, C. P., Chan, H. L. W., Ng, K. M. W. and Liu, P. C. K. (2003), "Placement of piezoelectric ceramic sensors in ultrasonic wire-bonding transducers", Microelectronic Engineering, 66, 750-759. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-9317(02)00995-4
- Frederick, J. R. (1975), Ultrasonic Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Graff, K. F. (1975), Wave Motion in Elastic Solids, Clarendon Press, Oxford, UK.
- Harman, G. G. (1997), Wire Bonding in Microelectronics: Materials, Processes, Reliability, and Yields, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Hu, C. M., Guo, N., Du, H. and Xu, L. M. (2003), "Dynamic characteristics of stacked piezoelectric transducers of ultrasonic wire bonders used in integrated circuit packaging", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part C - J. Mech. Eng. Sci., 217(3), 341-352.
- Neppiras, E. A. (1973), "The pre-stressed piezoelectric sandwich transducer", Proceedings of Ultrasonics International 1973 Conference, 295-302.
- Or, S. W., Chan, H. L. W., Lo, V. C. and Yuen, C. W. (1998a), "Dynamics of an ultrasonic transducer used for wire bonding", IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, 45(6), 1453-1460. https://doi.org/10.1109/58.738285
- Or, S. W., Chan, H. L. W, Lo, V. C. and Yuen, C. W. (1998b), "Ultrasonic wire-bond quality monitoring using piezoelectric sensor", Sens. Actuator A-Phys., 65, 69-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-4247(97)01638-5
- Or, S. W. (2001), "High frequency transducer for ultrasonic bonding", PhD Dissertation, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Pufall, R. (1993), "Automatic process control of wire bonding", Proceedings of 43rd Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 159-162.
- Rodwell, R. and Worrall, D. A. (1985), "Quality control in ultrasonic wire bonding", Hybrid Circuits, 7, 67-72.
- Yan, Z. and Lin, Z. (1995), "Optimum design for sandwich transducer - by analyzing effect of structure and material parameters of transducer on its performance", Acta Acustica, 20(1), 18-25.
- A magnetorheological damper capable of force and displacement sensing vol.158, pp.1, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2009.12.022
- Development of Magnetorheological Dampers with Embedded Piezoelectric Force Sensors for Structural Vibration Control vol.19, pp.11, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X07085673