- Volume 29 Issue 2 Serial No. 233
This research presents a three-dimensional modeling technique for a flexible sheet. A relative coordinate formulation is used to represent the kinematics of the sheet. The three-dimensional flexible sheet is modeled by multi-rigid bodies interconnected by out-of-plane joints and plate force elements. A parent node is designated as a master body and is connected to the ground by a floating joint to cover the rigid motion of the flexible sheet in space. Since the in-plane deformation of a sheet such as a paper and a film is relatively small, compared to out-of-plane deformation, only the out-of-plane deformation is accounted for in this research. The recursive formulation has been adopted to solve the equations of motion efficiently. An example is presented to show the validity of the proposed method.
Media Transport System;Three-Dimensional Flexible Sheet Model;Master Node;Child Node;Floating Joint;Nodal Body;Out-Of-Plane Joint;Plate Force Element;Recursive Formula;Relative Coordinate
- Cho, H. J. and Choi, J. H., 2001, 'MIT2D Development Specification,' Technical report, FunctionBay Inc.
- Cho, H. J., Bae, D. S., Choi, J. H. and Suzuki, T., 2002, 'Dynamics Analysis and Contact Modeling for Two-Dimensional Media Transport System,' Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences, DETC2003/VIB48338, p. 605
- Diehl, T., 1995, 'Two Dimensional and Three Dimensional Analysis of Nonlinear Nip Mechanics with Hyper Elastic Material Formulation,' Ph. D. Thesis, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
- Ashida, T., 2000, 'The Meeting Material of The Japan Society for Precision Engineering,' Japan
- Shin, K. H., 1991, 'Distributed Control of Tension in Multi-Span Web Transport Systems,' Ph. D. Thesis Oklahoma State Univ
- Bae, D. S., Han, J. M. and Yoo, H. H., 1999, 'A Generalized Recursive Formulation for Constrained Mechanical System Dynamics,' Mech. Struct. And Machines, Vol. 27, No.3, pp. 293-315 https://doi.org/10.1080/08905459908915700
- Bae, D. S., Lee, J. K., Cho, H. J. and Yae, H., 2000, 'An Explicit Integration Method for Real-time Simulation of Multibody Vehicle Models,' Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 187, pp. 337-350 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(99)00138-3
- Bae, D. S., Han, J. M., Choi, J. H. and Yang, S. M., 2001, 'A Generalized Recursive Formulation for Constrained Flexible Multibody Dynamics,' International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 50, pp. 1841-1859 https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.97
- Ryu, H. S., Bae, D. S., Choi, J. H. and Shabana, A. A., 2000, 'A Compliant Track Link Model for High- speed, High-mobility Tracked Vehicles,' International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 48, pp. 1481~1502 https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0207(20000810)48:10<1481::AID-NME959>3.0.CO;2-P
- Kim, H. W., Bae, D. S. and Choi, Choi, K. K., 2001, 'Configuration Design Sensitivity Analysis of Dynamics for Constrained Mechanical Systems,' Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 190, pp. 5271-5282 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7825(00)00372-8
- Bathe, K. J., 1996, 'Finite Element Procedure,' Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Wittenburg, J., 1977, 'Dynamics of Systems of Rigid Bodies,' B. G. Teubner, Stuttgart
- Yen, J., Haug, E. J. and Potra, F. A., 1990, 'Numerical Method for Constrained Equations of Motion in Mechanical Systems Dynamics,' Technical Report R-92, Center for Simulation and Design Optimization, Department of Mechanical and Engineering, Department of Mathematics, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa