- Volume 29 Issue 2 Serial No. 233
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Vibration Characteristics of a Multi-leaf Spring and a Tapered Leaf Spring of a Heavy Truck
대형트럭 다판 스프링과 테이퍼 판스프링의 진동특성 비교
- Published : 2005.02.01
This paper develops the flexible computational model of a heavy truck by interfacing the frame modeled as a flexible body to the heavy truck's computational model composed of rigid bodies. The frame is modeled by the finite element method. Three torsional modes and three bending modes of the frame are considered for the interface of the heavy truck's computational model. The actual vehicle test is conducted off road with a velocity of 20km/h. The vertical accelerations at the cab and front axle are measured in the test. For the verification of the developed computational model, the measured vertical acceleration profiles are compared with the simulation results of the heavy truck's flexible computational model. E grade irregular road profile of ISO is used as an excitation input in the simulation. The verified flexible computational model is used to compare the vibration characteristics of a front suspension system having a multi-leaf spring and that having a tapered leaf spring. The comparison results show that the front suspension having a tapered leaf spring has a higher vertical acceleration at the front axle but a lower vertical acceleration at the cab than the suspension system having a multi-leaf spring.
Flexible Body Computational Model;Finite Element Model;Heavy Truck;Multi-Leaf Spring;Tapered Leaf Spring;Vertical Acceleration;Vibration Characteristics
- Moon, I. D., Oh, C. Y., 2001, 'A Study on the Estimation of the Ride Quality of a Large-Sized Truck Using a Computer Model, ' Trans. of KSME, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 2048-2055
- SAE, 1996, 'Spring Design Manual,' Society of Automotive Engineering Inc., USA.
- Kim, D. W., Lim, J. H., 1996, 'A Study on Improving Ride Quality of the Commercial Vehicle,' Trans. of KSAE, Vol. 4, No.6, pp. 229-235
- MSC.ADAMS, 2001, 'MSC.ADAMS User's Manual,' Mac Neal-Schwendler Corporation, USA.
- Moon, I. D., Kwon, H. J., Oh, C. Y., 2000, 'Development of a Computer Model for the Turning Maneuver Analysis of a Heavy Truck,' Trans. of KSAE, Vol. 8, No.4, pp. 121 -129
- McNitt, L. F., 1969, 'Truck Frame Side Rail Bulking Stresses,' SAE Paper 690176
- MSC.PATRAN, 1994, 'MSC.PATRAN User's Manual,' MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation, USA.
- MSC.NASTRAN, 1994, 'MSC.NASTRAN User's Manual,' MacNeal-Schwendler Corporation, USA.
- Wong, J. Y., 1993, 'Theory of Ground Vehicles,' Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, pp. 348-387
- Sakuma, N., Kadono, I., Dohi, M., Nakai, H., 1985, 'Heavy Duty Truck Ride-Comfort Analysis by Computer Simulation,' Transaction of JSAE, pp.108-113
- Modeling and Verification of Multibody Dynamics Model of Military Vehicle Using Measured Data vol.38, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2014.38.11.1231