- Volume 10 Issue 12
A real-time frame-layer rate control algorithm with a token bucket traffic shaper is proposed for low bit rate video coding. The proposed rate control method uses a non-iterative optimization method for low computational complexity, and performs bit allocation at the frame level to minimize the average distortion over an entire sequence as well as variations in distortion between frames. In order to reduce the quality fluctuation, we use a sliding window scheme which does not require the pre-analysis process. Therefore, the proposed algorithm does not produce time delay from encoding, and is suitable for real-time low-complexity video encoder. Experimental results indicate that the proposed control method provides better visual and PSNR performances than the existing rate control method.
- ITU-T, Video coding for low bit rate communication, ITU-T Recommendation H.263 version 2, Jan. 1998
- C Metz, 'IP QoS: Traveling in First Class on the Internet,' IEEE Internet Computing, vol. 3, pp. 84-88, Mar. 1999 https://doi.org/10.1109/4236.761658
- H.Su and M. Atiquzzaman, 'Comprehensive Performance Model of Differentiated Service with Token Bucket Marker,' lEE Proceedings-Communications, vol. 150, pp. 347-353, Oct. 2003 https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-com:20030588
- E. C. Park and C. H. Choi, 'Adaptive Token Bucket Algorithm for Fair Bandwidth Allocation in DiffServ Networks,' in Proc. IEEE Globecom '03, pp. 3176-3180, 2003
- T. Chiang and Y. Zhang, 'A New Rate Control Scheme using Quadratic Rate Distortion Model,' IEEE Trans. Circuit Syst. Video Tech, pp. 246-250, Feb. 1997
- Y. Yokoyama and S. Nogaki, 'A Rate Control Method with Pre-analysis for Real-time MPEG-2 video coding,' in Proc.of lnt. Conf. Image Processing, pp. 514-517, Oct. 2001