- Volume 30 Issue 5 Serial No. 248
DOI QR Code
Estimation Method of Local Elastic-Plastic Strain at Thinning Area of Straight Pipe Under Tension Loading
인장하중을 받는 직선 배관 감육부의 국부 탄소성 변형률 평가 방법
- Published : 2006.05.01
In order to assess the integrity of pipes with local thinning area, the plastic strain as well as the elastic strain at the root of thinned region are required particularly when fluctuating load is applied to the pipe. For estimating elastic-plastic strain at local wall thinning area in a straight pipe under tensile load, an estimation model with idealized fully circumferential constant depth wall thinning area is proposed. Based on the compatibility and equilibrium equations a nonlinear estimation equation, from which local elastic-plastic strain can be determined as a function of pipe/defect geometry, material and the applied strain was derived. Estimation results are compared with those from detailed elastic-plastic finite element analysis, which shows good agreements. Noting that practical wall thinning in nuclear piping has not only a circular shape but also a finite circumferential length, the proposed solution for the ideal geometry is extended based on two-dimensional and three-dimensional numerical analysis of pipes with circular wall thinning.
Local Wall Thinning;Local Eastic-Plastic Strain;Finite Element Analysis;Erosion Assisted Corrosion
- American Society of Mechanical Engineer, 1991, 'ANSI/ASME B31.G: Manual for Remaining Strength of Corroded Pipelines'
- Roy, S., Gregory, S., Smith, M., Kanninen, M. F. and Anderson, M., 1997, 'Numerical Simulations of Full-Scale Corroded Pipe Tests with Combined Loading,' ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 119, pp.457-466 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2842330
- Ahn, S. H., Nam, K. W., Yoo, Y. S., K. Ando, Ji, S. H., Ishiwata, M. and Hasegawa, K., 2002, 'Fracture Behavior of Straight Pipe and Elbow with Local Wall Thinning,' Nuclear Engineering and Design, Vol. 211, Issue 2-3, pp. 91-103 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-5493(01)00447-2
- Kim, Y. J., Shim, D. J., Lim, H. and Kim, Y. J., 2004, 'Reference Stress Based Approach to Predict Failure Strength of Pipes with Local Wall Thinning under Single Loading,' ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 126, No. 2, pp. 194-201 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1687379
- Shim, D. J., Choi, J. B. and Kim, Y. J., 2004, 'Failure Strength Assessment of Pipes with Local Wall Thinning under Combined Loading Based on Finite Element Analyses,' Accepted Publication to ASME Journal of Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 126, No. 2, pp. 179-183 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1687382
- Kim, Y. J., Shim, D. J., Lim, H. and Kim, Y. J., 2005, 'Reference Stress Based Approach to Predict Failure Strength of Pipes with Local Wall Thinning under Combined Loading,' ASME Pressure Vessel and Technology, Vol. 127, No. 1, pp. 76-83 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1849228
- American Society of Mechanical Engineer, 2003, 'Analytical Evaluation of Internal of External Wall Thinning in Piping Systems,' ASME Sec. XI, Appendix X (draft)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineer, 1998, 'Requirement for Analytical evaluation of Pipe Wall Thinning,' ASME B&PV Code Sec. XI, Division 1, Code Case N-597
- Peterson, R. E., 1974, 'Stress Concentration Factors,' John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Kim, Y. J., Son, B. G. and Kim, Y. J., 2004, 'Finite Element Based Stress Concentration Factors for Pipes with Local Wall Thinning,' International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 81, Issue 12, pp. 897-906 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2004.06.002
- ABAQUS User's Manual (2001). Hibbitt, Karlson & Sorensen, Inc.