- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
RFID-Based RTLS for Improvement of Loading Productivity in Container Terminals
- Park, Doo-Jin (Graduate School of Logistics Korea Maritime University) ;
- Nam, Ki-Chan (Department of Logistics Engineering, National Korea Maritime University)
- Published : 2006.06.01
Shipping companies consider most of the ship turnaround time as a critical factor when selecting a rolling port for reducing costs. So, many researchers have been studying for the optimization of preplanning and high~performance of the Gantry Cranes (GCs) in container terminals for faster loading and unloading. Therefore, in this paper, we propose an RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) based RTLS (Real-Time Location System) for reducing the ship turnaround time in ubiquitous port environment. In addition, pre-planning based on ubiquitous computing environment will support the GC and Yard Tractors (YTs), and reduce ship turnaround time more effectively. Especially, the proposed method enormously enhances the productivity of loading for the twin-lift system It will reduce the whole lead-time in the process of port logistics.
- Bish, E. K.(2003), 'A multiple-crane-constrained problem in a container terminal. European Journal of Operational Research 114', pp. 83-107
- Drewry (2003), 'Intra-Asia Container Trades'
- INTERNATIONAL STANDARD ISO/IEC 18000-7 First edition (2004)
- ISO/IEC 18000-1(2004), Information technology-Radio frequency identification for item management - Part 1 : Reference architecture and definition of parameters to be standardized
- In050548 (2005) - INCITS Subgroup Annual Report for T-20 RTLS
- Michael A. J.(2002), 'Quay Crane Productivity' resented at TOC Americas, Miami, and November
- Robert S. J.(2002), 'Container Terminal Planning : Meeting the Needs of the Market', JWD Group
- Savi (2005), Location-Aware 433 Mhz Air Interface For ISO 24730-3