- Volume 56 Issue 1
We suggest the fluorescence endoscope system that has light source apparatus providing selectable white or excitation light. White light source generates normal color images and is easily switched over to excitation light with the wide spectrum range from 380 nm to 580 nm. 5-ALA is deposited selectively in the abnormal tissue like cancer and causes fluorescence in the red spectrum range when excited by blue spectrum range. In addition, the others of excitation light make the color background image by reflected light to allow accurate orientation and visualization of the abnormal tissue and around. According to clinical studies, the fluorescence intensity contrast that defines the fluorescence intensity of lesion over the fluorescence intensity of around has more than 2 in tumour. Proposed system is useful and objective way in early diagnosis. Furthermore, it can be used in the biopsy for tumour classification at the highest fluorescence intensity point.
- Rubino GF, Rasetti L, 'Phphyrin metabolism in human neoplastic tissues', Panminerva Med, 8(7), 290-292, 1966
- Navone NM, Polo CF, Frisardi AL, Batlle AM, 'Mouse mammary carcinoma porphobilinogenase and hydroxy-rnethylbilane synthetase', Comp Biochem Physiol B, 98(1), 67-71, 1991 https://doi.org/10.1016/0305-0491(91)90309-2
- Anderson KE, Drummond GS, Freddara U, Sardana MK, Sassa S, 'Porphyrogenic effects and induction of heme oxygenase in vivo by delta-aminolevulinic acid', Biochimica et biophysics acta, 676(3), 289-299 1981 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4165(81)90162-8
- Reinhold B, 'Latest results of 5-ALA-based fluorescence diagnosis and other medical disciplines', Photochemotherapy of Cancer and Other Diseases, 3563, 90-99, 1999
- Hinnen P, De Rooiji FWM, Van Velthuysen MLF, Edixhoven A, 'Biochemical basis of 5-aminolaevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX accumulation: a study in patients with (prelmalignant lesions of the oesophagus', British Journal of Cancer, 78(5), 679-682, 1998 https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1998.559
- Smith A, 'Mechanisms of toxicity of photoactivatec artificial porphyrins', Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 514, 309-322, 1987 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1987.tb48786.x