- Volume 7 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Power-Aware Scheduling for Mixed Real-Time Tasks
주기성과 산발성 태스크가 혼합된 시스템을 위한 전력절감 스케줄링 기법
- Published : 2007.01.28
In this paper, we address a power-aware scheduling algorithm for a mixed real-time system which consists of periodic and sporadic tasks, each of which is characterized by its minimum period, worst-case execution requirement and deadline. We propose a dynamic voltage scaling algorithm called DVSMT(DVS for mixed tasks), which dynamically scales down the supplying voltage(and thus the frequency) using on-line distribution of the borrowed resources when jobs complete while still meeting their deadlines. With this scheme, we could reduce more energy consumption. As the proposed algorithm can be easily incorporated with RTOS(Real-Time Operating System), it is applicable for handhold devices and sensor network nodes that use a limited battery power. Simulation results show that DVSMT saves up 60% more than the existing algorithms both in the periodic-task and mixed-task systems.
Periodic Tasks;Sporadic Tasks;Dynamic Voltage Scaling;Power-Aware Scheduling
- F. Gruian, "Hard real-time scheduling for low energy using stochastic data and DVS processors, proc. Int'I SymposiumonIρ, on Low-Power Electronics and Design (ISLPED'01), pp.46-51, 2001.
- P. Pillai and K G. Shin, "Real-time dynamic voltage scaling for low-power embedded operating systerns," Proc. 18th ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles (SOSP'01), pp.89-102, 2001.
- A. Dudani，F. Mueller, and Y. Zhu, "Energy-Conserving Feedback EDF Scheduling for Embedded Systerns with Real-Time Constraints," Proc. of the joint conf. on Languages， compilers and tools for embedded systems: software and compilers for embedded systems(LCTESSCOPES 2002)， pp.213-222， 2002.
- A Qadi, S. Goddard，and S. Fanitor, "A dynamic voltage scaling algorithm for sporadic tasks," Proc. of the 24th IEEE fut '1 Real-Time Systems Symposium (RTSS'03), pp.52-62, 2003.
- C. H Lee and K G. Shin, "On-line dynamic voltage scaling for hard real-time systems using the EDF algorithm," Proc. of the 25th IEEE Int'l Real-Time System Symposium (RTSS'04), pp.319-327， 2004.
- H Aydin, R Melliem, D. Mosse, and P. M. Alvarez, ''Power-aware scheduling for periodic real-time tasks," IEEE Trans. on amputers，Vol53， pp.584-600， 2004.
- S. S. Lee, ''Low-power Video Decoding on Variable Voltage Processor for Mobile Multinmedia Applications," ETRI Joumal, Vol.27,No.5, pp.504-510， Oct. 2005. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.05.0905.0002
- X. Zhong and C. Z. Xu, ''Energy-Aware Modeling and Scheduling of Real-Time Tasks for Dynamic Voltage Scaling," Proc. of the 26th IEEE Int'l Systems Symposium (RTSS' 05), pp.366-375, 2005.
- T. D. Burd and R W. Brodersen, ''Energy efficient CMOS microprocessor design," Proc. 28th Hawaii Int'l Conf.on System Sciences, pp.288-297, 1995.
- R. Emst and W. Ye, ''Embedded program Timing Analysis Based on Path Clustering and Archutecture Classification" Proc. Int'l Conf. Computer-Aided Design (ICCAD'97)， pp.598-604, 1997.
- C. L. Liu and J. W. Layland, "Scheduling algorithms for multiprogranuning in a hard real-time enviromnent," J. ACM, Vol.20, No.1, pp.46-61, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1145/321738.321743
- http://developer.intel.com/ design/intelxscale