- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Yield and Composition of Milk from Transgenic Rabbits
- Chrenek, P. (Slovak Agricultural Research Centre) ;
- Chrastinova, L. (Slovak Agricultural Research Centre) ;
- Kirchnerova, K. (Slovak Agricultural Research Centre) ;
- Makarevich, A.V. (Slovak Agricultural Research Centre) ;
- Foltys, V. (Slovak Agricultural Research Centre)
- Received : 2006.03.23
- Accepted : 2006.06.20
- Published : 2007.04.01
Basic objective of this research was to compare the milk yield and composition of New Zealand White transgenic rabbit females expressing recombinant human factor VIII (hFVIII) in mammary gland during lactation with that of non-transgenic rabbit females of the same age during 30 days of lactation. Transgenic founders were generated by the microinjection of foreign DNA (mWAP-hFVIII gene construct) into the egg. F1, F2 and F3 generations of transgenic rabbits were obtained after mating of transgenic founder rabbits with non-transgenic rabbits. The amount of milk rejected was measured by weight-suckle-weight method at
Rabbit;Transgenic;Milk Yield;mWAP-hFVIII Gene
Barash, I., A. Faerman, M. Richenstein, R. Kairi, G. M. Damary, M. Shani and M. J. Bissell. 1999. In vivo and in vitro expressin of human serum albumin genomic sequences in mammary epithelial cells with
$\beta$-lactoglobuline and whey acid protein promoters. Molec. Reprod. Devel. 52:241-252. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2795(199903)52:3<241::AID-MRD1>3.0.CO;2-X
- Chrenek, P., D. Vasicek, A.V. Makarevich, R. Jurcik, K. Suvegova, M. Bauer, V. Parkanyi, J. Rafay, A. Batorova and R. K. Paleyanda. 2005a. Increased transgene integration efficiency upon microinjection of DNA into both pronuclei of rabbit embryos. Transgenic Res. 14:417-428. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11248-005-3238-8
- Chrastinova, L., A. Sommer, J. Rafay and M. Svetlanska. 1997 Avotan exploitation in rabbit nutrition. II. Nutrient digestibility and lactation performance of does rabbit. J. Farm Anim. Sci. 30:80-86.
- Dragin, S., J. Pivko, P. Massanyi, N. Lukac, A. Makarevich and P. Chrenek. 2006. Ultrastructural morphometry of mammary gland in transgenic and non-transgenic rabbits. Anat. Histol. Embryol., 35:in press
- Jenness, J. P. 1982. Inter-species comparison of milk proteins. Dev. Diary Chem. 1:87-114.
- Schranner, S. 1993. Untersuchungen zum maschinellen Milchentzug beim Kaninchen als Grandlage zur Bestimmung von Laktationsleistungen und Milchinhaltsstoffen. Inaugural- Dissertation, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitat Munchen, Germany, pp 142.
- Van Cott, E. K., H. Lubon, F. C. Gwazdauskas, J. J. Knight, W. N. Drohan and W. H. Velander. 2001. Recombinant human protein C expression in milk of transgenic pigs and effect on endogenous milk immunoglobulin and transferin levels. Transgenic Res. 10:43-51. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008963817646
- Yalcin, S., E. E. Onbasilar and I. Onbasilar. 2006. Effect of sex on carcass and meat characteristic of new Zealand white rabbits aged 11 weeks. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(8):1212-1216. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1212
- Garber, K. 2000. RhFVIII deficit questioned. Nat. Biotechnol. 18:133-134.
- Lukefahr, S., W. D. Hohenboken, P. R. Cheeke and N. M. Patton. 1983. Doe reproduction and preweaning litter performance of straightbred and crossbred rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 57:1090-1096. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.5751090x
- Drummond, H., E. Vazquez, S. Sanchez-Colon, M. Martinez- Gomez and R. Hudson. 2000. Competition for milk in the domestic rabbit: Survivors benefit from littermate deaths. Ethol. 106:511-526. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0310.2000.00554.x
- Sanchez, W., P. R. Cheeke and N. M. Patton. 1985. Effect of dietary crude protein level on the reproductive performance and growth of New Zealand White rabbits. J. Anim. Sci. 60:1029-1039. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.6041029x
- Monaco, M. H., D. E. Gronlund, G .T. Bleck, W. L. Hurley, M. B. Wheeler and S. M. Donovan.2005. Mammary specific transgenic over-expression of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) increase pig milk IGF-I and IGF binding proteins, with no effect on milk composition or yield. Transgenic Res. 14:761-773. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11248-005-7219-8
- Chrenek, P., V. Kaufmann, A.V. Makarevich, M. Bauer, L. Ryban, P. Uhrin, R.K. Paleyanda and B. R. Binder. 2005b. Production of recombinant human clotting Factor VIII in mammary gland of two transgenic rabbit lines. 49th GTH meeting in Mannheim, February, poster p. 118.
- Fraga, M. J., M. Lorente, R. M. Carabano and J. C. De Blas. 1989. Effect of diet and of remaining interval on milk production and milk composition of the doe rabbit. Anim. Prod. 48:459-465. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100040460
- Partridge, G. G. 1986. Meeting the protein and energy requirements of the commercial rabbit for growth and reproduction. Proc. 4th World congress of Animal Feeding. Madrid, Spain, pp. 271-277.
- Dragin, S., A. Bozic and P. Chrenek. 2004. Effect of transgenesis on F2 and F3 rabbit offspring generations. 5th. scientific conference of PhD. students, University of Constantine Philosophie, Nitra, Slovakia, pp. 28-32.
- Lukefahr, S., W. D. Hohenboken, P. R. Cheeke, N. M. Patton. 1983. Characterization of straightbred and crossbred rabbits for milk production and associative traits. J. Anim. Sci. 57:1100-1107. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.5751100x
- Wilde, C. J., A. J. Clark, A. M. Kerr, C. M. Knight, M. McClenaghan and J. P. Simons. 1992. Mammary development and milk secretion in transgenic mice expressing the sheep beta-lactoglobulin gene. Biochem. J. 284:717-720. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2840717
- Bautista, A., M. Mendoza-Degante, G. Coureaud, M. Martinez- Gomez and R. Hudson. 2005. Scramble competition in newborn domestic rabbts for an unusually restricted milk supply. Anim. Behaviour 70:1011-1021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2005.01.015
- Palmer, C. A., H. Lubon and L. McManaman. 2003. Transgenic mice expressing recombinant human protein C exhibit defects in lactation and impaired mammary gland development. Transgenic Res. 12:283-292. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023398926763
- Davies, M. 1983. The composition of milk. Biochem. Lactation, T.B.Mepham. Elsevier, pp. 71-117.
- Taranto, S., C. Di Meo, G. Stanco, G. Piccolo, M. P. Gazaneo and A. Nizza. 2003. Influence of age at weaning on caecal content characteristics and post-weaning performance and health of rabbits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16(10):1540-1544 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1540
- Salvo-Garrido, H., S. Travella, L. J. Bilham, W. A. Harwood and J. W. Snape. 2004. The distribution of transgene insertion sites in barley determined by physical and genetic mapping. Genet, 167:1371-1379. https://doi.org/10.1534/genetics.103.023747
- Characteristics of Rabbit Transgenic Mammary Gland Expressing Recombinant Human Factor VIII vol.38, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0264.2008.00875.x
- Physiological Studies on the Effect of Fenugreek on Productive Performance of White New-Zealand Rabbit Does vol.07, pp.13, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/fns.2016.713117
- Comparison of milk production and milk composition for an exotic and a local synthetic rabbit lines vol.10, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14202/vetworld.2017.526-529