- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Additivity of True or Apparent Phosphorus Digestibility Values in Some Feed Ingredients for Growing Pigs
- Fang, R.J. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Li, T.J. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Yin, F.G. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Yin, Y.L. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Kong, X.F. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- Wang, K.N. (Institute of Animal Nutrition, Sichuan University of Agriculture) ;
- Yuan, Z. (The Key Laboratory of Food Science of Ministry of Education of China, Department of Food Science & Engineering, Nanchang University) ;
- Wu, G.Y. (Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Health and Key Laboratory of Subtropical Agro-Ecology Institute of Subtropical Agriculture, The Chinese Academy of Sciences) ;
- He, J.H. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Hunan Agricultural University) ;
- Deng, Z.Y. (The Key Laboratory of Food Science of Ministry of Education of China, Department of Food Science & Engineering, Nanchang University) ;
- Fan, M.Z. (Centre for Nutrition Modelling, Department of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph)
- Received : 2006.07.02
- Accepted : 2007.01.03
- Published : 2007.07.01
Two experiments were conducted to determine the additivity of apparent or true digestibility of phosphorus (P) in soybean meal (SBM), peas, faba beans, corn, oats, broken rice meal, rough rice meal, buckwheat, and sorghum for growing pigs. Chromic oxide (0.3%) was used as a digestion marker in both experiments. Each experiment lasted for 12 d, which consisted of a 7-d dietary adaptation period followed by a 5-d fecal collection period. Experiment 1 involved 6 diets: the SBM-based control diet; 4 diets with corn, oats, rough rice meal and broken rice meal substituted for SBM; and an additional diet with a representative mixture of the 5 ingredients. In Experiment 2, 6 diets were prepared similarly, except that the tested ingredients besides SBM were faba beans, peas, buckwheat, and sorghum. In each experiment, six barrows with an initial average individual BW of 20.5 kg were fed one of the six diets according to a
Additivity;Phosphorus Digestibility;Feed Ingredients;Growing Pigs
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- Yin, Y.-L., Z.-Y. Deng, H.-L. Huang, T.-J. Li and H.Y. Zhong.2004. The effect of arabinoxylanase and protease supple-mentation on nutritional value of diets containing wheat bran or rice bran in growing pigs. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 13:445-461.
- Yang, Cheng-bo, Ai-ke Li, Yu-long Yin, Rui-Lin Huang, Tie-jun Li, Li-li Li, Yi-ping Liao, Ze-yuan Deng, Hua-yi Zhong, Xiao-jian Yang and Ming-Z. Fan. 2005. Effects of dietary supplementation of cysteamine on growth performance, carcass quality, serum hormones and gastric ulcer in finishing pigs. J. Sci. Food Agric. 85:1047-1952.
- Yang, H., A. K. Li, Y. L. Yin, T. J. Li, Z. R. Wang, G. Wu, R. L. Huang, X. F. Kong, C. B. Yang, P. Kang, J. Deng, S. X. Wang, B. E. Tan, Q. Hu, F. F. Xing, X. Wu, Q. H. He, K. Yao, Z. J. Liu, Z. R. Tang, F. G. Yin, Z. Y. Deng, M. Y. Xie and M. Z. Fan. 2007. True phosphorus digestibility and the endogenous phosphorus outputs associated with brown rice for weanling pigs measured by the simple linear regression analysis technique weanling pigs. Anim. 1:213-220. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731107257945
- Yang, S. 1993. Technology of Analysis and Quality Inspection for Feedstuffs. Beijing: Publishing Company of Beijing Agricultural University (in Chinese)
- Wu, G. 1998. Intestinal mucosal amino acid catabolism. J. Nutr. 128:1249-1252. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/128.8.1249
- Viveros, A., C. Centeno, A. Brenes, R. Canales and A. Lozano. 2000. Phytase and acid phosphatase activities in plant feedstuffs. J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:9, 4009-4013. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf991126m
- Tang, Z. R., Y. L. Yin, M. Charles, Nyachoti, R. L. Huang, T. J. Li, C. B. Yang, X. J. Yang, J. H. Gong, J. Peng, D. S. Qi, J. J. Xing, Z. H. Sun and M. Z. Fan. 2005. Effect of dietary supplementation of chitosan and galacto-mannanoligosaccharide on serum parameters and the insulin-like growth factor-I mRNA expression in early-weaned piglets. Domist. Anim. Endocrin. 28:430-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2005.02.003
- SAS Institute. 1999. SAS/STAT User's Guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- Sacakli, P., A. Sehu, A. Ergun, B. Genc and Z. Selcuk. 2006. The effect of phytase and organic acid on growth performance, carcass yield and tibia ash in quails fed diets with low levels of non-phytate phosphorus. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:198-202.
- Shen, Y., M. Z. Fan, A. Ajakaiye and T. Archbold. 2002. Use of the regression analysis technique to determine the true phosphorus digestibility and the endogenous phosphorus output associated with corn in growing pigs. J. Nutr. 132:1199-1206. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.6.1199
- Yin, Y. L., R. L. Huang and H. Y. Zhong. 1993. Effect of autoclaving on ileal digestibility of crude protein, amino acid, urease activity of beans. Zeitschrift fur Tierphysiologie, Tierernahrung und Futtermittelkunde 71:65-74.
- Yin, Y. L., R. L. Huang, H. Y. Zhong, T. J. Li, W. B. Souffrant and C. F. M. de Lange. 2002a. Evaluation of mobile bag technique for determining apparent ileal digestibilities of crude protein and amino acids in growing pig. J. Anim. Sci. 80:409-420. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.802409x
- Yin, Y. L., N. K. Gurung, E. A. Jeaurond, P. H. Sharpe and C. F. M. de Lange. 2002b. Nutrient digestibility of Canadian-developed sorghum and pearl millet grains fed to growing pigs compared to traditional cereal grains. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 82:385-391. https://doi.org/10.4141/A01-086
- Yin, Y.-L, Baidoo, S. K., Jin, Z. L., Liu,Y.G., Schulze, H. and Simmins, P. H. 2001a.The effect of different carbohydrase and protease supplementation on apparent (ileal and overall) digestibility of nutrient of five hulless barley varieties in young pigs. Livestock Production Science. 71:109-120. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00215-9
- Ravindran, V. 1994. Total and phytate phosphorus contents of various foods and feedstuffs of plant origin. J. Food Chem. 50:133-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(94)90109-0
- Rodehutscord, M., M. Faust and H. Lorenz. 1996. Digestibility of phosphorus contained in soybean meal, barley and different varieties of wheat, without and with supplemental phytase fed to pigs and additivity of digestibility in a wheat-soybean-meal diet. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 75:40-48. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1996.tb00466.x
- Mallin, M. 2000. Impacts of industrial animal production on rivers and estuaries. J. Anim. Sci. 88:26-37.
- Nasi, M. 1990. Microbial phytase supplementation for improving availability of plant phosphorus in the diet of the growing pig. J. Agric. Sci. Finl. 62:435-443.
- National Research Council. 1998. Nutrient requirements for swine. 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Chubb, L. G. 1982. Anti-nutritive factors in animal feedstuffs (Ed. W. Haresign). Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition, Vol. 16, Butterworths, London, pp. 21-37.
- Chemical Composition of Some Feed Ingredients Commonly Used for Swine in China. 1999. Chinese Data Bank of Feedstuffs. 10th Ed, J. Chinese Feed 23:26-29, 24:14-19.
- Byrkit, D. R. 1987. Statistics today-A comprehensive introduction. The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc., Menlo Park, CA.
- Berk, A. and E. Schulz. 1993. Die Verdaulichkeit des Phosphorus aus unterschiedliehen Futtermitteln beim Schwein wahrend der Mast. pp. 309-312 in Kongressband, 1993.
- Bhanja, S. K., V. R. Reddy, A. K. Panda, S. V. R. Rao and R. P. Sharma. 2005. Effect of supplementing microbial phytase on performance of broiler breeders fed low non-phytate phosphorus diet. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1299-1304. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1299
- Begbie, R. and A. Pusztai. 1989. The resistance to proteolytic breakdown of some plant (seed) proteins and their effects on nutrient utilization and gut metabolism. pp. 243-263 in M. Friedman, ed. Absorption and utilization of amino acids. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1993. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. AOAC., Washington, DC.
- Barrier-Guillot, B., P. Casado, P. Maupetit, C. Jondreville and F. Gatel. 1996. Wheat phosphorus availability: 1. In vitro study; factors affecting endogenous phytasic activity and phytic phosphorus content. J. Sci. Food Agric. 70:62-68. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(199601)70:1<62::AID-JSFA465>3.0.CO;2-M
- Anderson, J. B. 1991. Nutritional biochemistry of calcium and phosphorous. J. Nutr. Biochem. 2:300-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0955-2863(91)90071-C
- Leiner, I. E. 1974. Phytohemagglutinins: Their nutritional significance. J. Agric. Food Chem. 22:17-22. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60191a031
- Li, T.-J., Y.-L. Yin, S.-Y. Bin, R.-L. Huang, Q.-Z. Dai, P. Zhang, Z.-P. Hou and H. Yang. 2007a. Growth performance and nitrogen metabolism in weaned pigs fed diets containing different sources of starch. Livest. Sci. 109:73-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.073
- Jongbloed, A. W., N. P. Lenis and Z. Morz. 1997. Impact of nutrition on reduction of environmental pollution by pigs: an overview of recent research. Veterinary-Quarterly. 19:130-134. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.1997.9694757
- Kadirvel, R. and D. R. Clandinin. 1974. The effect of faba beans (Vicia faba) on the performance of turkey poults and broiler chicks from 0-4 weeks of age. Poult. Sci. 53:1810-1816. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0531810
- Lei, X. G., P. K. Ku, E. R. Miller, M. T. Yokoyama and D. E. Ullrey. 1993. Supplementing corn-soybean meal diets with microbial phytase maximizes phytate phosphorus utilization by weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:12, 3368-3375. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71123368x
- Jongbloed, A. W. and P. A. Kemme. 1990a. Apparent digestible phosphorus in the feeding of pigs in relation to availability, requirement and environment. 1. Digestible phosphorus in feedstuffs from plant and animal origin. Netherlands J. Agric. Sci. 38:3B,567-575.
- Jongbloed, A. W. and P. A. Kemme. 1990b. Effect of pelleting mixed feeds on phytase activity and the apparent absorbability of phosphorus and calcium in pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 28:3-4, 233-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90155-2
- Jongbloed, A. W., H. Everts and P. A. Kemme. 1991. Phosphorus availability and requirements in pigs. pp. 65-80 in Recent advances in animal nutrition. Butterworth Heinemann, London, UK.
- Honeyman, M. S. 1996. Sustainability issues of U.S. swine production. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1410-1417. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7461410x
- Huang, R. -L., Y. -L. Yin, K.-P. Wang, T.-J. Li and J.-X. Liu. 2003. Nutritional value of fermented and not fermented material of distiller''s grains in pig nutrition. J. Anim. Feed Sci. 12:261-269. https://doi.org/10.22358/jafs/67702/2003
- Jobgen, W. S., S. K. Fried, W. J. Fu, C. J. Meininger and G. Wu. 2006. Regulatory role for the arginine-nitric oxide pathway in metabolism of energy substrate. J. Nutr. Biochem. 17:571-588. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2005.12.001
- Jongbloed, A. W. 1987. Phosphorus in the feeding pigs. PhD thesis. Drukkerij de Boer, Lelystad, Netherland. pp. 92-99.
- Fang, R. J., Y. L. Yin, K. N. Wang, J. H. He, Q. H. Chen, M. Z. Fan and G. Wu. 2007. Comparison of the regression analysis technique and the substitution method for the determination of true phosphorus digestibility and faecal endogenous phosphorus losses associated with feed ingredients for growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 109:251-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.108
- Furuya, S. and Y. Kaji. 1991. Additivity of the apparent and true ileal digestible amino acid supply in barley, maize, wheat or soya-bean meal based diets for growing pigs. J. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 32:321-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(91)90036-R
- Griffiths, D. W. 1983. The polyphenolic content of field peas and their possible significance on nutritive value (Ed. R. Thompson and R. Casey). Perspectives for Peas and Lupins as Protein Crops. Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, pp. 322-327.
- Fan, M. Z. and W. C. Sauer. 1999. Variability of apparent ileal amino acid digestibility in different pea samples for growingfinishing pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 79:467-475. https://doi.org/10.4141/A99-003
- Fan, M. Z., T. Archbold, W. C. Sauer, D. Lackeyram, T. Rideout, Y. Gao, C. F. M. de Lange and R. R. Hacker. 2001. Novel methodology allows measurement of true phosphorus digestibility and the gastrointestinal endogenous phosphorus outputs in studies with pigs. J. Nutri. 131:2388-2396. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.9.2388
- Fan, M. Z. and W. C. Sauer. 2002. Additivity of apparent ileal and fecal phosphorus digestibility values measured in single feed ingredients for growing-finishing pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 82:183-191. https://doi.org/10.4141/A01-072
- Fan, M. Z., T. J. Li, Y. L. Yin, R. J. Fang, Z. Y. Tang, Z. P. Hou, R. L. Huang, Z. Y. Deng, H. Y. Zhong, R. G. Zhang, J. Zhang, B. Wang and H. Schulze. 2005. Effect of phytase suplementation with two levels of phosphorus diets on ileal and faecal digestibilities of nutrients and phosphorus, calcim, nitrogen and energy balances in growingpigs. Anim. Sci. 81:67-75
- Deng, D., A. K. Li, W. Y. Chu, R. L. Huang, T. J. Li, X. F. Kong, Z. J. Liu, G. Y. Wu, Y. M. Zhang and Y. L. Yin. 2007b. Growth performance and metabolic responses in barrows fed lowprotein diets supplemented with essential amino acids. Livest. Sci. 109:224-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.104
- Dungelhoef, M., M. Rodehutscord, H. Spiekers and E. Pfeffer. 1994. Effects of supplemental microbial phytase on availability of phosphorus contained in maize, wheat and triticale to pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 49:1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)90076-0
- Eeckhout, W. and M. de Paepe. 1994. Total phosphorus, phytatephosphorus and phytase activity in plant feedstuffs. J. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 47:19-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)90156-2
- Engelen, A. J., C. van der Heeft Fred, H. G. Randsdorp Peter and A. C. Somers Wim. 2001. Determination of phytase activity in feed by a colorimetric enzymatic method: collaborative interlaboratory study. J. AOAC Int. 84:629-633.
- Cromwell, G. L., T. S. Stahly, R. D. Coffey, H. J. Monegue and J. H. Randolph. 1993. Efficacy of phytase in improving the bioavailability of phosphorus in soybean meal and cornsoybean meal diets for pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1831-1840. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7171831x
- Deng, D., R. L. Huang, T. J. Li, G. Y. Wu, M. Y. Xie, Z. R. Tang, P. Kang, Y. M. Zhang, M. Z. Fan, X. F. Kong, Z. Ruan, H. Xiong, Z. Y. Deng and Y.-L. Yin. 2007a Nitrogen balance in barrows fed low-protein diets supplemented with essential amino acids. Livest. Sci., 109 :220-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.122
- Cromwell, G. L. 1992. The biological availability of phosphorus in feedstuffs for pigs. Pig News Info 13:75N-78N.
Yin, Y.-L, Baidoo, S. K., Schulze, H. and Simmins, P.H. 2001a. Effect of supplementing diets containing hulless barley varieties having different levels of non-starch polysaccharides with
$\beta$-glucanase and xylanase on the physiological status of gastrointestinal tract and nutrient digestibility of weaned pigs. Livestock Production Science. 71:97-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00214-7
- Weremko, D., H. Fandrejewski, T. Zebrowska, I. K. Han, J. H. Kim and W. T. Cho. 1997. Bioavailability of phosphorus in feeds of plant origin for pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 10:551-566 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1997.551
- Li, L.-L., Y. -L. Yin, Y.-H. Liu, D.-X. Hou, Z.-P. Hou, C.-B Yang and X.-J. Yang. 2007b. Effects of metallothionein on antioxidative function and related enzyme activities in blood and liver, and pork meat quality. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:761-767. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.761
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Animal Feeds. 1995. Phosphorus. Photometric method. In Official Methods of Analysis, AOAC, Washington, DC.
- Saha, D. C. and R. L. Gilbreath. 1981. Analytical recovery of chromium from diet and feces determined by colorimetry and atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Sci. Food Agric. 55:433-446.
- Dellaert, B. M., G. V. F. Van der Peet, A. W. Jongbloed and S. Beers. 1990. A comparison of different techniques to assess the biological availability of feed phosphates in pig feeding. Netherlands J. Agric. Sci. 38:555-566.
- Simons, P. C. M., H. A. J. Versteegh, A. W. Jongbloed, P. A. Kemme, P. Slump, K. D. Box, M. G. E. Wolters, R. F. Beudeker and G. J. Verschoor.1990. Improvement of phosphorus availability by microbial phytase in broilers and pigs. Br. J. Nutr. 64:525-529. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900052
- The impact of phosphorus on the immune system and the intestinal microbiota with special focus on the pig vol.28, pp.01, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954422415000049
- Environmental Sustainability Analysis and Nutritional Strategies of Animal Production in China vol.5, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-animal-022516-022935
- True total-tract digestibility of phosphorus in corn and soybean meal for fifteen-kilogram pigs are additive in corn–soybean meal diet vol.91, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5295
- Nutrient digestibility response to graded dietary levels of sodium chloride in weanling pigs vol.88, pp.6, 2008, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.3204