- Volume 20 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Processing Method on Performance and Nutrient Digestibility in Growing-finishing Pigs Fed Lupine Seeds
- Yang, Y.X. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Y.G. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Heo, S. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Ohh, S.J. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Chae, B.J. (College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2006.10.25
- Accepted : 2007.04.05
- Published : 2007.08.01
Three trials were conducted to study the effect of processing method on performance, apparent nutrient and amino acid digestibilities in growing-finishing pigs fed lupine seeds. Ground, expanded or flaked lupine seed was prepared for the trials. In trial 1, a total of 72 growing barrows (
Lupine;Processing Method;Performance;Digestibility;Growing-finishing Pigs
Supported by : Institute of Animal Resources at Kangwon National University
- Aldo Prandini, Mauro Morlacchini, Maurizio Moschini,Giorgio Fusconi, Francesco Masoero and Gianfranco Piva. 2005. Raw and extruded pea (Pisum sativum L.) and lupin (Lupinus albus var. Multitalia) seeds as protein sources in weaned piglets' diets: effect on growth rate and blood parameters. Ital. J. Anim. Sci. 4:385-394. https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2005.385
- Alonso, R., A. Aguirre and F. Marzo. 2000b. Effects of extrusion and traditional processing methods on antinutrients and in vitro digestibility of protein and starch in faba and kidney beans. Food Chem. 68:159-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00169-7
- Cros, P., R. Moncoulon, C. Bayourthe and M. Vernay. 1992. Effect of extrusion on ruminal and intestinal disappearance of amino acids in white lupin seed. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 72:89-96. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas92-010
- Cuadra, C. de la, M. Muzquiz, C. Burbano, G. Ayet, R. Calvo, A. Osagie and C. Cuadrado. 1994. Alkaloid, alpha-galactoside and phytic acid changes in germinating lupin seed. J. Sci. Food Agric. 66:357-364. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740660313
- Dunshea, F. R., N. J. Gannon, R. J. van Barneveld, B. P. Mullan, R. G. Campbell and R. H. King. 2001. Dietary lupins (Lupinus angustifolius and Lupinus albus) can increase digesta retention in the gastrointestinal tract of pigs. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 52:593-602. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR00081
- Blethen, D. B., J. E. Wohlt, D. K. Jasaitis and J. L. Evans. 1990. Feed protein fractions: relationship to nitrogen solubility and degradability. J. Dairy Sci. 73:1544-1551. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78823-6
- Casiraghi, M. C., F. Brighenti, N. Pellegrini, E. Leopardi and G. Testolin. 1993. Effect of processing on rice starch digestibility evaluated by in vivo and in vitro methods. J. Cereal Sci. 17:147-156. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcrs.1993.1015
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edition. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, Virginia.
- Batterham, E. S., L. M. Anderson, R. F. Lowe and R. E. Darnell. 1986. Nutritional value of lupin (Lupinus albus) seed meal for growing pigs, availability of lysine, effect of autoclaving and net energy content. Br. J. Nutr. 56:645-659. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19860145
- Alonso, R., E. Orue and F. Marzo. 1998. Effects of extrusion and conventional processing methods on protein and antinutritional factor contents in pea seeds. Food Chem. 63:505-512. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(98)00037-5
- Alonso, R., G. Grant, P. Dewey and F. Marzo. 2000a. Nutritional assessment in vitro and in vivo of raw and extruded peas (Pisum sativum L.). J. Agric. Food Chem. 48:2286-2290. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000095o
- Fernández, J. A. and E. S. Batterham. 1995. The nutritive value of lupin-seed and dehulled lupin-seed meals as protein sources for growing pigs as evaluated by different techniques. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 53:279-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)00743-S
Gdala, J., A. J. M. Jansman, L. Buraczewska, J. Huisman and P. van Leeuwen. 1997. The influence of
$\alpha$-galactosidase supplementation on the ileal digestibility of lupin seed carbohydrates and dietary protein in young pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 67:115-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00003-5
- Gdala, J., A. J. M. Jansman, P. van Leeuwen, J. Huisman and M. W. A. Verstegen. 1996. Lupins (L. luteus, L. albus, L. angustifolius) as a protein source for young pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 62:239-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(96)00992-3
- Gilbert, R. 1998. Expanding soybeans minimises ANFs. Feed Technol. 2:19.
- Henson, P. R. and J. L. Stephens. 1958. Lupines culture and use. USDA Farmers Bull. 2114.
- Duranti, M. and P. Cerletti. 1979. Amino acid composition of seed proteins of Lupinus albus. J. Agric. Food Chem. 27:977-978. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60225a038
- Fan, M. Z., W. C. Sauer and C. F. M. de Lange. 1995. Amino acid digestibility in soybean meal, extruded soybean and full-fat canola for early-weaned pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 52:189-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)00732-O
- Kwak, B. O., H. J. Kim and H. S. Park. 2000. The effect of different lupin kernel inclusion levels on the growth and carcass composition of growing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:207-212. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.207
- Hove, E. L. 1974. Composition and protein quality of sweet lupine seed. J. Sci. Food Agric. 25:851. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740250715
- King, R. H. 1981. Lupin seed meal (Lupinus albus cv. Hamburg) as a source of protein for growing pigs. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 6:285-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(81)90007-9
- Kung, L., Jr., K. Maciorowski, K. M. Powell, S. Weidner and C. L. Eley. 1991. Lupin as a protein supplement for growing lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3398-3405. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6983398x
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine (10th Ed). National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- Panda, A. K., V. R. B. Sastry, A. Kumar and S. K. Saha. 2006. Quantification of karanjin, tannin and trypsin inhibitors in raw and detoxified expeller and solvent extracted karanj (Pongamia glabra) cake. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1776-1783.
- Moore, S. 1963. On the determination of cystine as cysteic acid. J. Biol. Chem. 238:235-237.
- Mariscal-Landín, G., Y. Lebreton and B. Seve. 2002. Apparent and standardised true ileal digestibility of protein and amino acids from faba bean, lupin and pea, provided as whole seeds, dehulled or extruded in pig diets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 97:183-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00354-6
- Lee, C. H. and J. K Kim. 1985. Microstructure of lupin seed: a comparative study with soybean. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 17:454-459.
- Ure, A. L., T. R. Dhiman, M. D. Stern and K. C. Olson. 2005. Treated extruded soybean meal as a source of fat and protein for dairy cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:980-989. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.980
- Swiech, E., L. Buraczewska and M. Taciak. 2004. In vivo and in vitro ileal digestibility of protein and amino acids of peas containing different tannin levels (Ed. M. Muzquiz, G. D. Hill, C. Cuadrado, M. M. Pedrosa and C. Burbano) Recent advances of research in antinutritional factors in legume seeds and oilseeds, EAAP Publication No. 110, Toledo, Spain, 8-10 March 2004, Wageningen Academic Publishers, 243-246.
- Szarvas, S. R., R. J. van Barneveld, N. J. Gannon, F. R. Dunshea and G. F. Wyatt. 1999. Isolated lupin non-starch polysaccharides in sorghum-based diets do not influence endogenous nitrogen losses from growing pigs. In Manipulating Pig Production VII, ed. P.D. Cranwell, Australasian Pig Science Association Conference, Werribee, Australia, 271.
- SAS Institute. 1996. SAS User's Guide. Version 6.12. SAS Institute Inc., Cary. NC.
- Perez-Conesa, D., G. Ros and M. J. Periago. 2002. Protein nutritional quality of infant cereals during processing. J. Cereal Sci. 36:125-133. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcrs.2002.0463
- Perez-Maldonado, R. A., P. F. Mannion and D. J. Farrell. 1998. Practical levels of inclusion of four grain legumes in broiler diets in a large-scale experiment. Proc. Aust. Poult. Sci. Symp. 10:144-147.
- Petterson, D. S. 2000. The use of lupins in feeding systems- Review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:861-882. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.861
- Valdebouze, P., E. Bergeron, T. Garborit and J. Delort-Laval. 1980. Content and distribution of trypsin inhibitors and hemagglutinins in some legume seeds. Can J. Plant Sci. 60:695-701. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps80-097
- van Barneveld, R. J. 1999. Chemical and physical characteristics of grains related to variability in energy and amino acid availability in pigs: A review. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 50:667-688. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR98160
- Wigan, G. C., E. S. Batterham and D. J. Farrell. 1995. Nutritive value of L. angustifolius (cv. Gungurru) for growing pigs. In: Manipulating Pig Production V: Proceedings of the 5th Biennial Conference of the Australasian Pig Science Association (Ed. D. P. Hennessy and P. D. Cranwell). Australasian Pig Science Association, Werribee. 38-46.
- Yuno-Ohta, N., H. Maeda, M. Okada and K. Hasegawa. 1992. Formation of transparent gels of sesame 13S globulin: Effects of fatty acid salts. J. Food Sci. 57:86-90. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05431.x
- Varasundharosoth, D. and M. F. Barnes. 1985. Protein fractions of lupine seed meal: Quantitative importance and amino acid composition. N. Z. J. Agric. Res. 8:71-80.
- Walhain, P., M. Foucart and A. Thewis. 1992. Influence of extrusion on ruminal and intestinal disappearance in sacco of pea (Pisum sativum L.) proteins and starch. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 38:43-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(92)90075-H
- Walker, W. R., G. L. Morgan and C. V. Maxwell. 1986. Ileal cannulation in baby pigs with a simple T-cannula. J. Anim. Sci. 62:407-411.
- van Barneveld, R. J., J. Baker, S. R. Szarvas and M. Choct. 1995. Effect of lupin kernel inclusion on the ileal digestibility of amino acids by growing pigs. In Manipulating Pig Production V, (Ed. D. P. Hennessy and P. Cranwell). Australasian Pig Science Association Conference, Canberra, Australia, 29.
- van Barneveld, R. J., L. E. Olsen and M. Choct. 1997. Lupin oligosaccharides depress the apparent ileal digestion of amino acids by growing pigs. In Manipulating Pig Production VI. Proceedings of the 6th Biennial Conference of the Australian Pig Science Association (Ed. P. Cranwell). Canberra, Australia, 230.
- Moss, A. R., D. I. Givens, H. F. Grundy and K. P. A. Wheeler. 1997. The nutritive value for ruminants of lupin seeds from determinate plants and their replacement of soya bean meal in diets for young growing cattle. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 68:11-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(97)00041-2
- Li, J. Y., A. I. Yeh and K. L. Fan. 2007. Gelation characteristics and morphology of corn starch/soy protein concentrate composites during heating. J. Food Engineering. 78:1240-1247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.12.043
- Qin, G., F. R. ter Elst, M. W. Bosch and A. F. B. van der Poel. 1996. Thermal processing of whole soya beans: Studies on the inactivation of antinutritional factors and effects on ileal digestibility in piglets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 57:313-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00863-2
- Effects of expanded diets and phase feeding programme on growth performance, carcass traits and meat quality in growing-finishing pigs vol.46, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1448822