- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Leptin Is a Metabolic Signal for GnRH-LH/FSH Axis in Feed-restricted Ewes
- Towhidi, A. (Department of Animal Science, University of Tehran) ;
- Khazali, H. (Department of Biology, Faculty of Basic Science, University of Shaheid Beheshti) ;
- Zhandi, M. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Tarbiat Modares)
- Received : 2006.07.02
- Accepted : 2007.02.10
- Published : 2007.07.01
Two experiments were conducted to determine whether leptin is a metabolic signal for gonadotropin secretion in ewes. In the first experiment, twenty-eight cyclic Chal ewes were assigned randomly to an energy restricted, no leptin group (ERNL) (60% of maintenance; n = 14) and an energy normal, no leptin group (ENNL) (100% of maintenance; n = 14) for 71 days (6 estrous cycles). Estrus was synchronized with seven consecutive injections of
- Ahima, R. S., D. Prabakaran, C. Mantzoros, D. Qu, B. Lowell, E. Maratos-Flier and J. S. Flier. 1996. Role of leptin in the neuroendocrine response to fasting. Nature. 382:250-252. https://doi.org/10.1038/382250a0
- Ahima, R. S., J. Kelly, J. K. Elmquist and J. Flier. 1999. Distinct physiologic and neuronal responses to decreased leptin and mild hyperleptinemia. Endocrinol. 140:4923-4931. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.140.11.4923
- Amstalden, M., M. R. Garcia, R. L. Stanko, S. E. Nizielski, C. D. Morrison, D. H. Keisler and G. L. Williams. 2000. Effects of acute feed restriction and central infusion of recombinant oleptin on the metabolic and central reproductive axes of mature cows. Proceedings of Society for the Study of Reproduction, Wisconsin.
- Abecia, J. A., S. M. Rhind, T. A. Bramley and S. R. McMillen. 1995. Steroid production and LH receptor concentration of ovarian follicles and corpora lutea and associated rates of ova wastage in ewes given high and low levels of food intake before and after mating. Anim. Sci. 61:57-62. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800013515
- Agricultural and Food Research Council. 1995. Energy and Protein Requirements of Ruminants. An advisory manual prepared by the AFRC technical committee on responses to nutrients. 2nd ed. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Christensen, R. A., K. Malinowski, A. M. Massenzio, H. D. Hafs and C. G. Scanes. 1997. Acute effects of short-term feed deprivation and refeeding on circulating concentrations of metabolites, Insulin-like growth factor, Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein, somatotropin and thyroid hormones in adult geldings. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1351-1358. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.7551351x
- Clarke, I. J. 2002. Fat regulated the neuroendocrine system; Studies with leptin. Available on the http.www.endocrineabstracts.org/ea/2002/ea00025p3.htm
- Cho, S. B., S. H. Cho, S. S. Chung, J. S. Lim, D. Y. Kil and Y. Y. Kim. 2006. Effects of restricted feeding on performance, carcass quality and hormone profiles in finishing barrows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1643-1648 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1643
- Carro, E., L. Pinilla, L. M. Seoane, R. V. Considine, E. Aguilar, F. F. Casanueva and C. Diegues. 1997. Influence of endogenous leptin tone on the estrous cycle and luteinizing hormone pulsatility in female rats. Neuroendocrinol. 67:375-377.
- Chagas, L. M., D. Blache, R. Tellam, M. A. Blackberry, P. E. Vercoe and G. B. Martin. 1999. Level of nutrition affects plasma concentration of leptin are increased in male sheep fed a diet that stimulates the secretion of LH pulses. Proceedings of the Endocrine Society of Australia, Melbourne. 42:86.
- Chilliard, Y., F. Bocquier, C. Delavaud, M. Guerre-Millo, M. Bonnet, P. Martin, Y. Faulconnier and A. Ferlay. 1998a. Leptin in ruminants: Effects of species, breed, adiposity, photoperiod, beta-agonists and nutritional status. Proceeding of cornell nutrition conference for feed manufacturers. USA. 65-75.
- Bocquier, F., M. Bonnet, Y. Faulconnier, M. Guerre-millo, P. Martin and Y. Chilliard. 1998. Effect of photoperiod and feeding level on perirenal adipose tissue metabolic activity and leptin synthesis in the ovariectomized ewe. Reprod. Nut. Develop. 38:484-498.
- Brooks, J., C. Sheng, D. J. Tortonese and A. S. McNeilly. 1999. Pituitary receptors for GnRH, oestradiol and prolactin and the control of gonadotropin secretion in the ewes. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 34:133-138. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.1999.tb01230.x
- Blache, D., L. M. Chagas, M. A. Blackberry, P. E. Vercoe and G. B. Martin. 2000a. Metabolic factors affecting the reproductive axis in male sheep. J. Reprod. Fertil. 120:1-11. https://doi.org/10.1530/reprod/120.1.1
- Blache, D., R. L. Tellam, L. M. Chagas, M. A. Blackberry, P. E. Verco and G. B. Martin. 2000b. Level of nutrition affects leptin concentration in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid in sheep. J. Endocrinol. 165:625-637. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1650625
- Barb, C. R., R. R. Kraeling, G. B. Rampacek and J. B. Barrett. 1999b. Neuropeptide Y: A possible link between LH and GH secretion in the gilt. J. Anim. Sci. 77 (Suppl. 1) 441.
- Barb, C. R., R. R. Kraeling and G. B. Rampacek. 2000. Central action of leptin: Effects on growth and reproduction performance. J. Anim. Sci. 78 (Suppl. 1) 68.
- Barb, C. R., R. R. Kraeling, G. B. Rampacek and J. B. Barrett. 2001. Leptin modulates GnRH secretion from hypotholamicpreoptic area in the gilt. Available on the http://220.127.116.11/SSR/html/287.html.
- Bjorbaek, C., J. K. Elmquist, P. Michl, R. S. Ahima, A. Van Bueren, A. L. McCall and J. Flier. 1998. Expression of leptin receptor isoforms in rat brain microvessels. Endocrinol. 139:3485-3491. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.139.8.3485
- Barb, C. R. 1999. The brain-pituitary-adipocyte axis: Role of leptin in modulating neuroendocrine function. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1249-1257. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7751249x
- Barb, C. R., J. B. Barrett, R. R. Kraeling and G. B. Rampacek. 1999a. Role of leptin in modulating neuroendocrine function: A Metabolic link between the brain-pituitary and adipose tissue. Reprod. Dom. Anim. 34:111-125. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0531.1999.tb01228.x
- Barb, C. R., J. B. Barrett, R. R. Kraeling, G. B. Rampacek, X. Yan and T. G. Ramsay. 1997. Leptin modulation of luteinizing hormone (LH) secretion by pig pituitary cells in culture. J. Reprod. Fertil. 52 (Suppl.) 63.
- Amstalden, M., D. A. Zieba, J. F. Edwards, P. G. Harms, J. R. Welsh TH, R. L. Stanko and G. L. Williams. 2003. Leptin acts at the bovine adenohypophysis to enhance basal and gonadotropin releasing hormone-mediated release of luteinizing hormone: differential effects are dependent upon nutritional history. Biol. Reprod. 69:1539-1544. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod.103.018119
- Barash, I. A., C. C. Cheung, D. S. Weigle, H. Ren, E. B. Kabigting, J. L. Kuijper, D. K. Clifton and R. A. Steiner. 1996. Leptin is metabolic signal to the reproductive system. Endocrinol. 137:3144-3147. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.137.7.3144
- Ehehardt, R. A., R. M. Slepetis, J. Siegal-Willott, M. E. Van Amburgh, A. W. Bell and Y. R. Boisclair. 2000. Development of a specific radioimmunoassay to measure physiological changes of circulating leptin in cattle and sheep. J. Endocrinol. 166:519-528. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1660519
- Finn, P. D., M. J. Cunningham, K. Y. F. Pau, H. G. Spies, D. K. Clifton and R. A. Steiner. 1998. Leptin's stimulatory effect on the neuroendocrine axis of the monkey. Endocrinol. 139:4652-4662. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.139.11.4652
- Fischer, L. 2001. Intracerebroventricular infusion of leptin elevates the secretion of luteinizing hormone without affecting food intake in long-term food-restricted sheep, but increases growth hormone irrespective to body weight. J. Endocrinol. 168. Available on the www.asrc.agri.missouri.edu.
- Dunn, T. G. and G. E. Moss. 1992. Effect of nutrient deficiency and excesses on reproductive efficiency of livestock. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1580-1593. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7051580x
- Dyer, C. J., J. M. Simmones, R. L. Matteri and D. H. Keisler. 1997. Leptin receptor mRNA is expressed in ewe anterior pituitary and adipose tissue, and is differentially expressed in hypothalamic regions of well-fed and feed-restricted ewes. Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 14:119-128. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(96)00119-1
- Delavaud, C., F. Bocquier, Y. Chilliard, D. H. Keisler and A. Gertler. 2000. Plasma leptin determination in ruminants: Effect of nutritional status and body fatness plasma leptin concentration assessed by a specific RIA in sheep. J. Endocrinol. 165:519-526. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1650519
- Downing, J. A. and R. J. Scaramuzzi. 1995. Ovulation rate and the concentrations of gonadotropins and metabolic hormones in ewes infused with glucose during the late luteal phase of the oestrous cycle. J. Endocrinol. 146:403-410. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1460403
- Morrison, C. D., J. A. Daniel, B. J. Holmberg, J. Djiane, N. Raver, A. Gertler and D. H. Keisler. 2001. Central infusion of leptin into well-fed and undernourished ewe lambs: effects on feed intake and serum concentrations of growth hormone and luteinizing hormone. J. Endocrinol. 168:317-324. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1680317
- Rhind, S. M., I. D. Leslie, R. G. Gunn and J. M. Doney. 1985. Plasma FSH, LH, Prolactin and progesterone profiles of Cheviot ewes with different levels of intake before and after mating, and associated effects on reproductive performance. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 8:301-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-4320(85)90046-6
- Magni, P., R. Vettor, C. Pagano, A. Calcagno, E. Beretta, E. Messim, M. Zanisi, L. Martini and M. Motta. 1999. Expression of a leptin receptor in immortalized gonadotropin-releasing hormone-secreting neurons. Endocrinol. 140:1581-1585. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.140.4.1581
- Marie, M., P. A. Fidlay, L. M. Thomas and C. L. Adam. 2002. Long-term effect of food intake adipose tissue and leptin secretion during long days in Soay rams. Proc. Br. Soc. Anim. Sci. UK., 47.
Miller, D. W., M. A. Morrison, P. A. Findlay, D. G. Hazlerig and C. L. Adam. 2001. A single central leptin injection stimulates LH secretion in sheep: Interaction with
$\alpha$-melanocyte-stimulating hormone ( $\alpha$-MSH) and neuropeptide Y (NPY). Available on the http://www.bris.ac.uk/depts/Anatomy/BNG/programme.htm.
- Maciel, M. N., D. A. Zieba, M. Amestalden, D. H. Keisler, J. P. Neves and G. L. Williams. 2004. Chronic administration of recombinant ovine leptin in growing beef heifers: Effects of secretion of LH, metabolic hormone, and timing of puberty. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2930-2936. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.82102930x
- Lebrethon, M. C., E. Vandersmissen, A. Gerard, A. S. Parent, J. I. Junien and J. P. Bourguignon. 2000. In vitro stimulation of the prepubertal rat gonadotropin-releasing hormone pulse generator by leptin and neuropeptide Y through distinct mechanisms. Endocrinol. 141:1467-1469.
- Liou, S. S., J. M. Lim, R. M. Blair and W. Hansel. 1997. Leptin cause release of LH and FSH from perfused murine and bovine pituitary glands. Biol. Reprod. 56:171.
- Iqbal, J., S. Pompolo, R. V. Considine and I. J. Clarke. 2000. Localization of leptin receptor-like immunoreactivity in the corticotropins, somatotropins, and gonadotropes in the ovine anterior pituitary. Endocrinol. 141:1515-1520. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.141.4.1515
- Kile, J. P., B. M. Alexander, G. E. Moss, D. M. Hallford and T. M. Nett. 1991. Gonadotropin- releasing hormone overrides the negative effect of reduced dietary energy on gonadotropin synthesis and secretion in ewes. Endocrinol. 128:843-849. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-128-2-843
- Houseknecht, K. I. and C. P. portocarrero. 1998. Leptins and its receptors: Regulators of whole- body energy homeostasis. Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 15:457-475. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0739-7240(98)00035-6
- I'Anson, H., J. M. Manning, C. G. Herbosa, J. Pelt, C. R. Friedman, R. I. Wood, D. C. Bucholtz and D. L. Foster. 2000. Central inhibition of gonadotropin-releasing hormone secretion in the growth-restricted hypogonadotropic female sheep. Endocrinol. 141:520-527. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.141.2.520
- Henry, B. A., J. W. Goding, W. S. Alexander, A. J. Tilbrook, B. J. Canny, F. Dunshea, A. Rao, A. Mansell and I. J. Clarcke. 1999. Central administration of leptin to ovariectomized ewes inhibits food intake without affecting the secretion of hormones from the pituitary gland: Evidence for a dissociation of effects on appetite and neuroendocrine function. Endocrinol. 140:1175-1182. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.140.3.1175
- Henry, B. A., J. W. Goding, A. J. Tilbrook, F. R. Dunshea and I. J. Clarke. 2001. Intracerebroventricular infusion of leptin elevates the secretion of luteinizing hormone without affecting food intake in long-term food-restricted sheep, but increase growth hormone irrespective of bodyweight. J. Endocrinol. 168:67-77. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1680067
- Gutierrez, J., T. G. Dunn and G. E. Moss. 1987. Inanition decreases episodic LH release in ovariectomized ewes. J. Anim. Sci. 65 (Suppl. 1.) 406.
- Schillo, K. K. 1992. Effects of dietary energy on control of luteinizing hormone secretion in cattle and sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1271-1282. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7041271x
- Schneider, J. E., D. Zhou and R. M. Blum. 2000. Leptin and metabolic control of reproduction. Horm. Behav. 37:306-326. https://doi.org/10.1006/hbeh.2000.1590
- Sisk, C. L. and F. H. Bronson. 1986. Effects of food restriction and restoration on gonadotropin and growth hormone secretion in immature male rats. Biol. Reprod. 35:554-561. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod35.3.554
- SAS Institute Inc. 1996. SAS/STAT software: Changes and enhancements through release 6.11. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Sanson, D. W., T. R. West and W. R. Tatman. 1993. Relationship of body composition of mature ewes with condition score and body weight. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1112-1116. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7151112x
- Ritar, A. J. and N. R. Adams. 1988. Increased ovulation rate, but not FSH and LH concentrations, in ewes supplemented with lupin grain. Proceedings of the Australian Society of Animal Production. 17:310-313.
- Roche, J. F. and M. G. Diskin. 1995. Hormonal regulation of reproduction and interactions with nutrition in female ruminants. In: Ruminant Physiology, Digestion, Metabolism, Growth and Reproduction (Ed. W. Von Engelhardt, S. Leonhard-Marek, G. Breves and D. Giesecke). Delmar Publishers, Albany, Germany, pp. 404-428.
- Rhind, S. M., S. McMillan, W. A. C. McKelvey, F. F. Rudrigues-Herrejon and A. S. McNeilly. 1989a. Effect of the body condition of ewes on the secretion of LH and FSH and the pituitary response to gonadotropin-releasing hormone. J. Endocrinol. 120:497-502. https://doi.org/10.1677/joe.0.1200497
- Rhind, S. M., S. McMillan, G. Z. Wetherill, W. A. C. McKelvey and R. G. Gunn. 1989b. Effect of low levels of food intake before and/or after mating on gonadotropin and progesterone profiles in Greyface ewes. Anim. Prod. 49:267-273. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100032396
- Snyder, J. L., J. A. Clapper, A. J. Roberts, D. W. Sanson, D. L. Hamernik and G. E. Moss. 1999. Insulin-like growth factor, insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins and gonadotropins in the hypothalamic-pituitary axis and serum of nutrient-restricted ewes. Biol. Reprod. 61:219-224. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod61.1.219
- Tatman, W. R., M. B. Judkins, T. G. Dunn and G. E. Moss. 1990. Luteinizing hormone in nutrient-restricted ovariectomized ewes. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1097-1102 https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6841097x
- Thornton, J. E., C. C. Cheung, D. K. Clifton and R. A. Steiner. 1997. Regulation of hypothalamic proopiomelanocortin mRNA by leptin in mice. Endocrinol. 138:5063-5066. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.138.11.5063
- Towhidi, A., H. Khazali, A. Nik-Khah and M. Zhandi. 2004. Effect of leptin injection on gonadotrophin secretion, and ovulation rate in fat tailed ewes. Proc. 11th AAAP Congress, Vol II. pp. 285-286
- Towhidi, A., F. Rostami, H. Khazali and A. H. Ahadi. 2003. The effect of energy intake level, body condition score, and leptin on ovulation rate in fat-tailed ewes. Proc. Br. Soc. Anim. Sci. pp. 80.
- Whisnant, C. S. and R. J. Harrell. 2001. Leptin and luteinizing hormone concentrations in pig. Available on the ww:url:http://mark.asci.ncsu,edu/swinreports/2001/06physwhis/htm
- Zhang, Y., R. Proenca, M. Maffei, M. Barone, L. Leopold and J. M. Freidman. 1994. Positional cloning of the mouse obese gene and its human homologue. Nature. 372:425-432. https://doi.org/10.1038/372425a0
- Yelich, J. V., R. P. Wettemann, T. T. Marston and L. J. Spicer. 1996. Luteinizing hormone, growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin and metabolites before puberty in heifers fed to gain at two rates. Dom. Anim. Endocrinol. 13:325-338. https://doi.org/10.1016/0739-7240(96)00046-X
- Yu, W. H., M. Kimura, A. Walczewska, S. Karanth and S. M. McCann. 1997. Role of leptin in hypothalamic-pituitary function. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 94:1023-1028. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.94.3.1023
- Wade, G. N. and J. E. Schneider. 1992. Metabolic fuels and reproduction in female mammals. Neurosci. Biobeha. Rev. 16: 235-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-7634(05)80183-6
- Cunningham, M. J., D. K. Clifton and R. A. Steiner. 1999. Leptin's actions on the reproductive axis: Perspectives and Mechanisms. Biol. Reprod. 60:216-222. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod60.2.216
- Chilliard, Y., F. Bocquier and M. Doreau. 1998b. Digestive and metabolic adaptations of ruminants to undernutrition, and consequences on reproduction. Reprod. Nut. Develop. 38:131-152. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19980201
- Foster, D. L., F. J. P. Ebling, A. F. Micka, L. A. Vannerson, D. C. Bucholtz, R. I. Wood, J. M. Suttie and D. E. Fenner. 1989. Metabolic interfaces between growth and reproduction. I. Nutritional modulation of gonadotropin , prolactin, and growth hormone secretion in the growth-limited female lamb. Endocrinol. 125:342-350. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-125-1-342
- Loucks, A. B. and M. Verdun. 1998. Slow restoration of LH pulsatility by refeeding in energetically disrupted women. Am. J. Physiol. 275: R1218-R1226.
- CISRO. 1990. Feeding standard for Australian livestock. Ruminants. 1st edn, CISRO Publication.
- Houseknecht, K. I., C. A. Baile, R. L. Matteri and M. E. Spurlock. 1998. The biology of leptin: A review. J. Anim. Sci. 76:239-311.
- Ridgway, T. D., R. P. Wettemann and L. J. Spicer. 2000. Effect of leptin on release of luteinizing hormone from bovine anterior pituitary cells in vitro. J. Anim. Sci. 78 (Suppl. 1) 861.
- The relationship of plasma leptin concentration and puberty in Holstein bull calves (Bos taurus) vol.94, pp.6, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2009.00970.x