- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Feeding Value of Jambo Grass Silage and Mott Grass Silage for Lactating Nili Buffaloes
- Touqir, N.A. (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Khan, M. Ajmal (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Sarwar, M. (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Mahr-un-Nisa, Mahr-un-Nisa (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Ali, C.S. (Institute of Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, University of Agriculture) ;
- Lee, W.S. (Dairy Cattle Research Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Lee, H.J. (Dairy Cattle Research Division, National Livestock Research Institute) ;
- Kim, H.S. (Dairy Cattle Research Division, National Livestock Research Institute)
- Received : 2006.05.06
- Accepted : 2006.08.30
- Published : 2007.04.01
This study was conducted to evaluate the feeding value of jambo grass (Sorghum
Jambo Grass;Mott Grass;Silage;Digestibility;Milk Yield;Buffalo
- AOAC. 1999. Official Methods of Analysis (16th Ed). Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- De Jong, E. A. M., H. Klomp, G. Ellen and H. van Hemert. 1992. Evaluation of a segmented-flow method for the routine determination of urea in milk. Neth. Milk Dairy J. 46:115-119.
- Khan, M. A., M. Sarwar, M. Nisa and M. S. Khan. 2004. Feeding value of urea treated corncobs ensiled with or without enzose (corn dextrose) for lactating crossbred cows. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1093-1097. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1093
- Khan, M. A., Z. Iqbal, M. Sarwar, M. Nisa, M. S. Khan, H. J. Lee, W. S. Lee, H. S. Kim and K. S. Ki. 2006c. Urea treated corncobs ensiled with or without additives for buffaloes: Ruminal characteristics, digestibility and nitrogen metabolism. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:705-712. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.705
- NRC (National research council). 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 7th revised Edn. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C. USA.
- Rook, J. A. F. and P. C. Thomas. 1982. Silage for milk production. National Institute of Research in Dairying, Reading, England. ISBN 0-7084-0166-X
- Sarwar, M., M. A. Khan, M. Nisa and N. A.Touqir. 2005. Influence of berseem and lucerne silages on feed intake, nutrient digestibility and milk yield in lactating Nili buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:475-478. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.475
- Van Keulen, J. and B. A. Young. 1977. Evaluation of acid insoluble ash as a natural marker in ruminant digestibility studies. J. Anim. Sci. 44:282-289. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1977.442282x
- Van Soest, P. J., H. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Method of dietary fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal material. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3591. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1984. Principles and Procedures of Statistics. A Biometrical Approach. (2nd Ed.) McGraw Hill Book Co. Inc. New York, USA.
- Man, N. V. and H. Wiktorsson. 2001. Cassava tops ensiled with or without molasses as additive effect on quality, feed intake and digestibility by heifers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 14:624-631. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2001.624
- Dado, R. G. and M. S. Allen. 1995. Intake limitations, feeding behavior and rumen function of cows challenged with rumen fill from dietary fiber of inert bulk. J. Dairy Sci. 78:118-125. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(95)76622-X
- Sarwar, M., J. L. Firkins and M. L Estridge. 1991. Effect of replacing neutral detergent fiber of forage with soy hulls and corn gluten feed for dairy heifers. J. Dairy Sci. 74:1006-1015. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78250-7
- Bureenok, S., T. Namihira, M. Tamaki, S. Mizumachi, Y. Kawamoto and T. Nakada. 2005. Fermentative quality of Guinea grass silage by using fermented juice of the epiphytic lactic acid bacteria (FJLB) as a silage additive. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:807-813. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.807
- Khan, M. A., M. Sarwar, M. Nisa, S. A. Bhatti, Z. Iqbal, W. S. Lee, H. J. Lee, H. S. Kim and K. S. Ki. 2006b. Feeding value of urea treated wheat straw ensiled with or without acidified molasses in Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:645-650. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.645
- Sarwar, M. and M. U. Nisa. 1999. In situ digestion kinetics of Mott grass (Pennisetum purpuretum) on its chemical composition, dry matter intake, ruminal characteristics and digestibility in buffalo bulls. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 9:910-914.
- SAS (Statistical Analysis System). 1988. 'SAS user's guide: Statistics' (SAS Inst. Inc., Carry, NC).
- Bolsen, K. K., G. Ashbell and Z. G. Weinberg. 1996. Silage fermentation and silage additives: Review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 9:483-489. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1996.483
- Khan, M. A., M. Sarwar, M. Nisa, Z. Iqbal, M. S. Khan, W. S. Lee, H. J. Lee and H. S. Kim. 2006a. Chemical composition, in situ digestion kinetics and feeding value of Oat grass (Avena sativa) ensiled with molasses for Nili-Ravi Buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1127-1133. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1127
- Rooke, J. A. 1995. The effect of increasing the acidity of osmolarity of grass silage hay the addition free of partially neutralized lactic acid on silage intake by sheep and upon osmolarity and acid base balance. J. Anim. Sci. 61:285-293. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800013825
- Sarwar, M. and Z. U. Hasan. 2001. Nutrient Metabolism in Ruminants. Friends Science Publishers, 399-B, Peoples colony # 1, Faisalabad, Pakistan. ISBN# 969-8490-03-5.
- Ruiz, T. M., W. K. Sanchez, C. R. Straples and L. E. Sollenberger. 1992. Comparison of "Mott" dwarf elephant grass silage and corn silage for lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 75:533-539. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(92)77790-X
- Khorasani, G. R., E. K. Okine, J. J. Kennelly and J. H. Helm. 1993. Effect of whole crop cereal grain silage substituted for alfalfa silage on performance of lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 76:3536-3542. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(93)77692-4
- Nisa, M., N. A. Touqir, M. Sarwar, M. A. Khan and M. Akhatar. 2005. Effect of additives and fermentation periods on chemical composition and in situ digestion kinetics of Mott grass (Pennisitum purpureum) silage. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:812-815. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.812
- Torotich, M. J. 1992. Minimizing the loss of ammonia during urea treatment of wheat straw for growing calves. M.Sc. Thesis, Haryana Agriculture University, Hissar, India.
- Waldo, D. R. and N. A. Jorgensen. 1981. Forages for high animal production: nutritional factors and effects of conservation. J. Dairy Sci. 64:1207-1224. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(81)82697-5
- Sarwar, M., M. A. Khan and M. Nisa. 2004. Influence of ruminally protected fat and urea treated corncobs ensiled with or without corn steep liquor on nutrient intake, digestibility, milk yield and its composition in Nili-Ravi buffaloes. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci.17:86-93. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.86
- Sarwar, M., M. Nisa, M. A. Khan and M. Mushtaque. 2006. Chemical composition, herbage yield, and nutritive value of Panicum antidotale and Pennisetum orientale for Nili buffaloes at different clipping intervals. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:176-184.
- Thomas, C. and P. C. Thomas. 1985. Factors affecting the nutritive value of grass silages. In: (Ed. W. Haresign and D. J. A. Cole). Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition. Butterworths, London. pp. 223-256.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Tyrrell, H. F. and J. T. Reid. 1965. Prediction of the energy value of cow's milk. J. Dairy Sci. 48:1215-1223. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(65)88430-2
- Johnson, L., J. H. Harrison, C. Hunt, K. Shinners, C. G. Doggett and D. Sapienza. 1999. Nutritive Value of corn silage as affected by maturity and mechanical processing. J. Dairy Sci. 82:2813-2819. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75540-2
- Nutrients intake, digestibility, nitrogen balance and growth performance of sheep fed different silages with or without concentrate vol.43, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9765-1
- Improvement of whole crop rice silage nutritive value and rumen degradability by molasses and urea supplementation vol.45, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-013-0433-0