- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Gel Color and Texture of Surimi-like Pork from Muscles at Different Rigor States Post-mortem
- Kang, Geun-Ho (Poultry Research Division, National Livestock Research Institute, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yang, Han-Sul (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jeong, Jin-Yeon (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Moon, Sang-Hoon (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Hur, Sun-Jin (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Park, Gu-Boo (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Joo, Seon-Tea (Division of Applied Life Science and Technology, Graduate School, Gyeongsang National University)
- Received : 2006.06.09
- Accepted : 2006.12.06
- Published : 2007.07.01
Gels were made from surimi-like pork (SLP) made from muscles obtained at 1, 24 and 72 h post-mortem. The SLP from pre-rigor muscle had higher pH and moisture percentage compared to in- or post-rigor muscles. Also, SLP from pre-rigor muscle showed higher concentration of water-soluble protein that was washed out during the process. Gel from post-rigor muscle exhibited higher a* and b* value, and also resulted in higher Chroma and lower hue values. The dark color of gel from post-rigor muscle was related to higher concentration of sarcoplasmic protein in SLP and denser structure in the gel matrix. SDS-PAGE showed higher intensity of the phosphorylase in the sarcoplasmic protein fraction from pre-rigor muscle. Gel from post-rigor muscle showed higher hardness and sensory firmness, and the greater firmness was related to higher concentration of protein in SLP, and a compact network with smaller pockets in the gel matrix.
Supported by : MOCIE
- Toyoda, K., I. Kimura, T. Fujita, S. F. Noguchi and C. M. Lee. 1992. The Surimi Manufacturing Process. In: Surimi technology (pp. 79-112). New York: Marcel Dekker Inc.
- SAS. 2001. The SAS program for window. Statistical Analysis System Institute, Cary, NC, USA.
- Park, J. W., T. C. Lanier and D. H. Pilkington. 1993. Cryostabilization of functional properties of pre-rigor and post-rigor beef by dextrose polymer and/or phosphate. J. Food Sci. 58:467-472. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb04301.x
- Park, S., M. S. Brewer, J. Novakofski, P. J. Bechtel and F. K. McKeith. 1996. Process and characteristics for a surimi-like material made from beef or pork. J. Food Sci. 61:422-427. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb14208.x
- Nowsad, A. A. K. M., S. Kanoh and E. Niwa. 2000. Thermal gelation characteristics of breast and thigh muscles of spent hen and broiler and their surimi. Meat Sci. 54:169-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00091-1
- Offer, G. and J. Trinick. 1983. On the mechanism of water holding in meat: The welling and shrinking of myofibrils. Meat Sci. 8:245-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(83)90013-X
- Lee, S. K. and B. J. Min. 2004b. Effect of setting temperatures and time on the gelation properties (suwari and modori phenomena) of surimi from mechanically deboned chicken meat. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1758-1763. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1758
- Lesiow, T. and Y. L. Xiong. 2003. Chicken muscle homogenate gelation properties: effect of pH and muscle fiber type. Meat Sci. 64:399-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00206-1
- MacDougall, D. B. 1986. The chemistry of color and appearance. Food Chem. 21:283-289. https://doi.org/10.1016/0308-8146(86)90063-4
- An, H., M. Y. Peters and T. A. Seymour. 1996. Roles of endogenous enzymes in surimi gelation. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 7:321-327. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-2244(96)10035-2
- Laemmli, U. K. 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227:680-685. https://doi.org/10.1038/227680a0
- Kang, G. H., C. Y. Han, S. T. Joo, B. C. Kim and G. B. Park. 2006. Effect of addition levels of sodium chloride on gel properties of surimi-like pork. Kor. J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 26:20-27.
- Katayama, K., K. B. Chin, S. Yoshihara and M. Muguruma. 2006. Microbial transglutaminase improves the property of meat protein and sausage texture manufacture with low-quality pork loin. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:102-108.
- Joo, S. T., R. G. Kauffman, B. C. Kim and C. J. Kim. 1995. The relationship between colour and water-holding capacity in postrigor porcine longissimus muscle. J. Muscle Foods 6:211-226. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1995.tb00568.x
- Joo, S. T., R. G. Kauffman, B. C. Kim and G. B. Park. 1999. The relationship of sarcoplasmic and Myofibrillar protein solubility to colour and water-holding capacity in porcine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci. 52:291-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00005-4
- Gornall, A. G., C. J. Bardawill and M. M. David. 1949. Determination of serum proteins by means of the biuret reaction. J. Biol. Chem. 177:751-766.
- Francis, F. J. and F. M. Clydesdale. 1975. The measurement of meat color. In: Food Colorimetry: Theory and Application, The AVI Publishing Company, Inc., Westport, CT. pp. 73-111.
- Hamm, R. 1981. Post-mortem changes in muscle affecting the quality of comminuted meat products. Ch. 4. In Developments in Meat Scinece-2, (Ed. R. Lawrie), Applied Science Publishers, Englewood, NJ. p. 93.
- Carroll, R. J. and C. M. Lee. 1981. Meat emulsions: Fine structure relationships and stability. Scanning Electron Microsc. 3:447-452.
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. S. Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Bourne, M. C. 1968. Texture profiling of ripening pears. J. Food. Sci. 33:223-226. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1968.tb01354.x
- Xiong, Y. L. and C. J. Brekke. 1990. Thermal transitions of salt-soluble proteins from pre- and postrigor chicken muscles. J. Food Sci. 55:1540-1543. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb03563.x
- Wang, B. and Y. L. Xiong. 1999. Characterization of the proteases involved in gel weakening of beef heart surimi. J. Agric. Food. Chem. 47:887-892. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980845i
- Wismer-Pederson, J. 1959. Quality of pork in relation to rate of pH changes post mortem. Food Res. 24:711-727. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1959.tb17325.x
- Lan, Y. H., J. Novakofski, T. R. Carr and F. K. McKeith. 1993. Assay and storage conditions affect yield of salt-soluble protein from muscle. J. Food Sci. 58:963-967. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb06089.x
- Lee, S. K. and B. J. Min. 2004a. Surimi quality from mechanically deboned chicken meat as affected by washing cycle, salt concentration, heation temperature and rate. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:131-136. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.131
- Antonomanolaki, R. E., K. P. Vareltzis, S. A. Georgakis and E. Kaldrymidou. 1999. Thermal gelation properties of surimi-like material made from sheep meat. Meat Sci. 52:429-435. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00026-1
- Mansfield, B. 2003. Fish, factory trawlers, and imitation crab: the nature of quality in the seafood industry. J. Rural. Stud. 19:9-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0743-0167(02)00036-0
- EFFECTS OF MUSCLE FIBER TYPES ON GEL PROPERTY OF SURIMI-LIKE MATERIALS FROM CHICKEN, PORK AND BEEF vol.21, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2009.00205.x
- Physicochemical changes of myosin and gelling properties of washed tilapia mince as influenced by oxidative stress and microbial transglutaminase pp.0975-8402, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-014-1448-x
- Quality of shrimp analogue product as affected by addition of modified potato starch vol.52, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-014-1494-4
- ) and chicken mixture gels as affected by setting temperatures vol.21, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/10942912.2018.1508155