- Volume 20 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Relationships of Body Composition and Fat Partition with Body Condition Score in Serra da Estrela Ewes
- Caldeira, R.M. (Centro de Investigacao Interdisciplinar em Sanidade Animal (CIISA), Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria Avenida da Universidade Tecnica) ;
- Portugal, A.V. (Estacao Zootecnica Nacional)
- Received : 2006.07.28
- Accepted : 2007.02.10
- Published : 2007.07.01
Twenty eight non-lactating and non-pregnant adult Serra da Estrela ewes, ranging in body condition score (BCS) from 1 to 4 were used to study the relationships between BCS, live weight (LW), body composition and fat partition. Ewes were slaughtered and their kidney knob and channel fat (KKCF), sternal fat (STF) and omental plus mesenteric fat (OMF) were separated and weighed. Left sides of carcasses as well as the respective lumbar joints were then dissected into muscle, bone and subcutaneous (SCF) and intermuscular fat (IMF). The relationship between LW and BCS was studied using data from 1,396 observations on 63 ewes from the same flock and it was found to be linear. Regression analysis was also used to describe the relationships among BCS and/or LW and weights (kg) and percentages in empty body weight (EBW) of dissected tissues. The prediction of weights and percentages in EBW of total fat (TF) and of all fat depots afforded by BCS was better than that provided by LW. Only the weight of muscle and the percentage of bone in the EBW were more efficiently predicted by LW than by BCS. IMF represented the largest fat depot with a BCS of 1 and 2, whereas SCF was the most important site of fat deposition with a BCS of 3 and 4. Allometric coefficients for each fat depot in TF suggest that the fat deposition order in ewes from this breed is: IMF, OMF, SCF and KKCF. Results demonstrate that BCS is a better predictor than LW of body reserves in this breed and that LJ is a suitable anatomical region to evaluate BCS.
Body Condition Score;Body Composition;Sheep;Fat Partition
Supported by : Estacao Zootecnica Nacional
- Truscott, T. G., J. D. Wood and H. J. H. MacFie. 1983. Fat deposition in Hereford and Friesian steers. 1. Body composition and partitioning of fat between depots. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 100:257-270. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600033396
- Taylor, St. C. S. and J. I. Murray. 1991. Effect of feeding level, breed and milking potential on body tissues and organs of mature, non-lactating cows. Anim. Prod. 53:27-38. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100005948
- Taylor, St. C. S., J. I. Murray and M. L. Thonney. 1989. Breed and sex-differences among equally mature sheep and goats. 4. Carcass muscle, fat and bone. Anim. Prod. 49:385-409. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100032608
- Teixeira, A., R. Delfa and F. Colomer-Rocher. 1989. Relationships between fat depots and body condition score or tail fatness in the rasa Aragonesa breed. Anim. Prod. 49:275-280. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100032402
- Sanson, D. W., T. R. West, W. R. Tatman, M. L. Riley, M. B. Judkins and G. E. Moss. 1993. Relationship of body-composition of mature ewes with condition score and bodyweight. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1112-1116. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7151112x
- Santucci, P. M. and O. Maestrini. 1985. Body composition of dairy goats in extensive systems of production: method of estimation. Annales de Zootechnie 34:473-474 (Abst.). https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:19850409
- SAS Institute. 2003. User's Guide: Statistics, Version 9.1 ed. 2002-2003. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC.
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach. 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York.
- Russel, A. J. F., J. M. Doney and R. G. Gunn. 1969. Subjective assessment of body fat in live sheep. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 72:451-454. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600024874
- Russel, A. J. F., J. M. Doney and R. G. Gunn. 1971. The distribution of chemical fat in the bodies of Scottish Blackface ewes. Anim. Prod. 13:503-509. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100010692
- Russel, A. J. F., R. G. Gunn and J. M. Doney. 1968. Components of weight loss in pregnant hill ewes during winter. Anim. Prod. 10:43-51. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100025927
- Morand-Fehr, P., A. Branca, P. Santucci and M. Napoleone. 1989. Methodes destimation de letat corporel des chevres reproductrices (Methods of body condition estimation in goats). In: (Ed. J. C. Flamant and P. Morand-Fehr), Levaluation des ovins et des caprins mediterraneens (Evaluation of Mediterranean sheep and goats), Proceedings of the Symposium Philoetios, Fonte Boa, Portugal, Rapport EUR 11893, Luxembourg, pp. 202-220.
- Oregui, L. M., M. S. Vicente, J. Garro and M. V. Bravo. 1991. The relationship between body condition score and body weight in Latxa ewes. Options Mediterraneens - Series Seminaires, 13:109-112.
- Peart, J. N. 1970. The influence of live weight and body condition on the subsequent milk production of Blackface ewes following a period of undernourishment in early lactation. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 75:459-469. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600025107
- Purroy, A., F. Bocquier and A. Gibon. 1989. Methodes destimation de letat corporel chez la brebis (Methods of body condition estimation in ewes). In: (J. C. Flamant and P. Morand-Fehr), Levaluation des ovins et des caprins mediterraneens (Evaluation of Mediterranean sheep and goats). Proceedings of the Symposium Philoetios, Fonte Boa, Portugal, Rapport EUR 11893, Luxembourg, pp. 182-201.
- Jarrige, R. 1988. Ingestion et digestion des aliments (Feed intake and digestion). In: (Ed. R. Jarrige), Alimentation des bovins, ovins et caprins (Feeding of cattle, sheep and goat), INRA Editions, Paris, France, pp. 29-56.
- Jefferies, B. C. 1961. Body condition scoring and its use in management. Tasmanian Journal of Agriculture 32:19-21.
- Meat and Livestock Commission. 1983. Feeding the ewe. 2nd edn. Sheep Improvement Services, Meat and Livestock Commission, Milton Keynes, UK.
- Frutos, P., A. R. Mantecon and F. J. Giraldez. 1997. Relationship of body condition score and live weight with body composition in mature Churra ewes. Anim. Sci. 64:447-452. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800016052
- Hossamo, H. E., J. B. Owen and M. F. A. Farid. 1986. Body condition score and production in fat tailed Awassi sheep under range conditions. Research and Development in Agriculture, 2:9-104.
- Huxley, J. S. 1932. Problems of relative growth. Methuen, London
Chilliard, Y. and J. Robelin. 1983. Mobilization of body proteins by early lactating dairy cows measured by slaughter and
$D_2O$dilution techniques. Colloques de l'TNRA 16:195-198.
- Delfa, R., A. Teixeira and F. Colomer-Rocher. 1989. A note on the use of a lumbar joint as a predictor of body fat depots in Aragonesa ewes with different body condition scores. Anim. Prod. 49:327-329. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100032487
- Evans, D. G. 1978. The interpretation and analysis of subjective body condition scores. Anim. Prod. 26:119-125. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100039520
- Ferrell, C. L. and T. G. Jenkins. 1984. Relationships among various body components of mature cows. J. Anim. Sci. 58:222-233. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.581222x
- Bryant, D. T. W. and R. W. Smith. 1982. The effect of lactation on protein synthesis in ovine skeletal muscle. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 99:19-323. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600054988
- Caldeira, R. M. and A. Vaz Portugal. 1991. Interrelationship between body condition and metabolic status in ewes. Small Rumin. Res. 6:15-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(91)90003-9
- Agricultural Research Council. 1980. The Nutrient Requirements of Ruminant Livestock. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau, Slough, UK.
- Amaro, R. 1990. Contribuicao para o estudo da avaliacao da condicao corporal em cabras da raca Serrana, atraves da palpacao de tres regioes anatomicas (Contribution to the study of body condition scoring in Serrana goats by assessing three anatomical regions). MSc. Thesis, Faculdade de Medicina Veterinaria, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Amaro, R. P. and R. M. Caldeira. 1991. Relation entre les notes d'etat corporel et la composition corporelle des chevres de la race Serrana. Options Mediterraneennes - Series Seminaires, 13:35-41.
- The effects of metabolizable energy intake on body fat depots of adult Pelibuey ewes fed roughage diets under tropical conditions vol.43, pp.5, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-011-9785-5
- Mutual relationships among body condition score, live weight, and back tissue development in meat sheep vol.83, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.2754/avb201483040341