- Volume 20 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Molecular Characterisation of Nilagiri Sheep (Ovis aries) of South India Based on Microsatellites
- Girish, Haris (Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Madras Veterinary College Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) ;
- Sivaselvam, S.N. (Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Madras Veterinary College Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) ;
- Karthickeyan, S.M.K. (Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Madras Veterinary College Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) ;
- Saravanan, R. (Department of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Madras Veterinary College Tamilnadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University)
- Received : 2006.08.02
- Accepted : 2006.11.27
- Published : 2007.05.01
Genetic variation in Nilagiri sheep, the only apparel wool breed in South India was studied using 25 FAO recommended ovine-specific microsatellite markers. The number of observed alleles ranged from 3 to 8 with a mean of 5 across all loci. The size of alleles ranged from 72 to 228 bp. The frequency of alleles ranged from 0.0104 to 0.5781. In total, 125 alleles were observed at the 25 loci studied. The effective number of alleles ranged from 2.18 to 6.49. The mean number of effective alleles was 3.84 across all loci. All the 25 loci were found to be highly polymorphic. The PIC values ranged from 0.4587 to 0.8277 with a mean of 0.6485. Of 25 microsatellites studied, 17 were in Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium proportions. The observed heterozygosity ranged from 0.4222 to 1.000 with a mean value of 0.7610 whereas the expected heterozygosity ranged from 0.5415 to 0.8459 with a mean value of 0.7213. Except six loci, the other loci revealed negative within-population inbreeding estimates (FIS) indicating excess of heterozygotes in the population of Nilagiri sheep.
Genetic Characterisation;Nilagiri Sheep;Microsatellites;PIC;Inbreeding Estimates
- Arora, R. and S. Bhatia. 2004. Genetic structure of Muzzafarnagri sheep based on microsatellite analysis. Small Rumin. Res. 54:227-230. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2003.11.015
- Arora, R. and S. Bhatia. 2006. Genetic diversity of Magra sheep from India using microsatellite analysis. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:938-942. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.938
- Calvo, J. H., J. A. Bouzada, J. J. Jarado and M. Serrano. 2006. Genetic substructure of Spanish Manchega sheep breed. Small Rumin. Res. 64:116-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.04.010
- Gutierrez-Espelata, G. A., S. T. Kalinowski, W. M. Boyce and P. W. Hedrick. 2000. Genetic variation and population structure in desert bighorn sheep: Implications of conservation. Cons. Genet. 1:3-15. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010125519304
- Ivankovic, A., P. Dovc, T. Karvar, P. Caput, B. Mioc, V. Pavic, V. Stuhec and J. Leto. 2005. Genetic characterisation of the Pag Island sheep breed based on microsatellite and mtDNA data. Small Rumin.Res. 57:167-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.07.002
- Sodhi, M., M. Mukesh, R. Arora, M. S. Tantia and S. Bhatia. 2003. Genetic structure of Garole - a unique Indian microsheep assessed using microsatellite markers. Ind. J. Dairy Sci. 56:167-173.
- Tapio, I., M. Tapio, Z. Grislis, L. E. Holm, S. Jeppsson, J. Kantanen, I. Miceikiene, I. Olsaker, H. Viinalass and Eythorsdottir. 2005. Unfolding of population structure in Baltic sheep breeds using microsatellite analysis. Heredity, 94:448-456. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.hdy.6800640
- Yeh, F. C., T. Boyle, Y. Rongcai, Z. Ye and J. M. Xian. 1999. Popgene, Version 1.31. A Microsoft Windows Based Freeware for Population Genetic Analysis. University of Alberta, Edmonton.
- Lujiang Qu, Xianyao Li, Guiqin Wu and Ning Yang. 2005. Efficient and sensitive method of DNA silver staining in polyacrylamide gels. Electrop. 26:99-101. https://doi.org/10.1002/elps.200406177
- Soysal, M. I., E. Koban, E. Ozkan, Altunok, Z. Bulut, M. Nizamlioglu and Togan. 2005. Evolutionary relationship among three native and two cross breed sheep breeds of Turkey: Preliminary results. Rev. Med. Vet. 156:289-293.
- Acharya, R. M. 1982. Sheep and Goat Breeds of India. FAO Animal Production and Health Paper 30, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, pp. vii+190.
- Lahiri, D. K. and J. I. Nurnberger. 1991. A rapid non-enzymatic method for the preparation of DNA from blood for RFLP studies. Nucl. Acids Res. 19:5444. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/19.19.5444
- Diez-Tascon, C., R. P. Little John, P. A. R. Almedia and A. M. Crawford. 2000. Genetic variation within the Merino sheep breed: Analysis of closely related populations using microsatellites. Anim. Genet. 31:243-251. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.2000.00636.x
- Jandurova, O. M., T. Kott, B. Kottova, V. Czernekova and M.Milerski. 2005. Genetic relationships among Sumova, Valachian and improved Valachian sheep. Small Rumin. Res. 57:157-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.06.021
- Pariset, L., M. C. Savarese, I. Cappuccio and A. Valentini. 2003. Use of microsatellites for genetic variation and inbreeding analysis in Sarda sheep flocks of Central Italy. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 120:425-432. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0931-2668.2003.00411.x
- Tomasco, I., G. Wlasicit and E. P. Lessa. 2002. Evaluation of polymorphism in ten microsatellite loci in Uruguayan sheep flocks. Genet. Mol. Biol.25:37-41. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1415-47572002000100008
- Alvarez, I., L. J. Royo, I. Fernandez, J. P. Gutierrez, E. Gomez and F. Goyache. 2004. Genetic relationships and admixture among sheep breeds from Northern Spain assessed using microsatellites. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2246-2252. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8282246x
- Nei, M. 1987. Molecular Evolutionary Genetics. New York, Columbia University Press.
- Arranz, J. J., Y. Bayon and F. San Primitivo. 2001. Genetic variation at microsatellite loci in Spanish sheep. Small Rumin. Res. 39:3-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(00)00164-4
- Saitbekova, N., J. Schlapfer, G. Dolf and C. Gaillard. 2001. Genetic relationship in Swiss sheep breeds based on microsatellite analysis. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 118:379-387. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0388.2001.00312.x
- Sodhi, M., M. Mukesh and S. Bhatia. 2005. Characterising Nali and Chokla sheep differentiation with microsatellite markers. Small Rumin.Res. (In press).