- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Wind-resistant performance of cable-supported bridges using carbon fiber reinforced polymer cables
- Zhang, Xin-Jun (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology) ;
- Ying, Lei-Dong (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology)
- Received : 2006.06.22
- Accepted : 2006.12.27
- Published : 2007.04.25
To gain understanding of the applicability of carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) cable in cable-supported bridges, based on the Runyang Bridge and Jinsha Bridge, a suspension bridge using CFRP cables and a cable-stayed bridge using CFRP stay cables are schemed, in which the cable's cross-sectional area is determined by the principle of equivalent axial stiffness. Numerical investigations on the dynamic behavior, aerostatic and aerodynamic stability of the two bridges are conducted by 3D nonlinear analysis, and the effect of different cable materials on the wind resistance is discussed. The results show that as CFRP cables are used in cable-supported bridges, (1) structural natural frequencies are all increased, and particularly great increase of the torsional frequency occurs for suspension bridges; (2) under the static wind action, structural deformation is increased, however its aerostatic stability is basically remained the same as that of the case with steel cables; (3) for suspension bridge, its aerodynamic stability is superior to that of the case with steel cables, but for cable-stayed bridge, it is basically the same as that of the case with steel stay cables. Therefore as far as the wind resistance is considered, the use of CFRP cables in cable-supported bridges is feasible, and the cable's cross-sectional area should be determined by the principle of equivalent axial stiffness.
- Astiz, M. A. (1998), "Flutter stability of very long suspension bridges", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 3(3), 132-139. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1998)3:3(132)
- Chen, A. R. and Song, J. Z. (2000), "Wind-resistant study on the Runyang Bridge over the Yangtze River", Shanghai: Res. Rep of Tongji University.
- Chen, S. H. (1999), "Structural and aerodynamic stability analysis of long-span cable-stayed bridges", Ph.D. thesis, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.
- Gaubinger, B. and Kollegger, J. (2002), "Development of an anchorage system for CFRP tendons", IABSE Symposium, Melbourne.
- Geffroy, R. L. (2002), "The Laroin footbridge with carbon composite stay cables", Proceedings of the International Footbridge Conference, Paris, France.
- Hojo, T. and Noro, T. (2002), "Application of CFRP cables for cable-supported bridges", IABSE Symposium, Melbourne.
- Kou, C. H., Xie, X., Gao, J. S. and Huang, J. Y. (2005), "Static behavior of long-span cable-stayed bridges using carbon fiber composite cable", J. Zhejiang University(Engineering Science), 39(1), 137-142.
- Khalifa, M. A. (1992), "Dynamic vibration of cable-stayed bridges using carbon fiber composite cables", Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, Neale, K. W., et al. (eds), CSCE.
- Kim, P. and Meier, U. (1991), "CFRP cables for large structures", Advanced Composites in Civil Engineering Structures, Lyer, S. L. (ed), ASCE Specialty Conference, Las Vegas.
- Kremmidas, S. C. (2004), "Improving bridge stay cable performance under static and dynamic loads", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, San Diego, America.
- Meier, U. (1992), "Carbon fiber reinforced polymers: Modern materials in bridge engineering", Struct. Eng. Int., IABSE, 1, 7-12.
- Meier, U. and Meier, M. (1996), "CFRP finds in cable support for bridges", Modern Plastics, 87-88.
- Meier, U. (1999), "The use of carbon fiber reinforced polymer(CFRP) cables in bridge engineering", Proceeding from the Techtextil Symposium, Frankfurt.
- Noistering, J. F. (2000), "Carbon fiber composites as stay cables for bridges", Appl. Comp. Mater., 7, 139-150. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008946132034
- Ohashi, M. (1991), "Cables for cable-stayed bridges", Cable-Stayed Bridges: Recent Development and their Future, Ito, M., et al. (eds), Elsevier Science Publishers, B.V.
- Song, J. Z. (1998), "Wind-resistant study on the Jinsha Bridge over the Yangtze River", Shanghai: Res. Rep of Tongji University.
- Xiang, H. F. and Ge, Y. J. (2002), "Refinements on aerodynamic stability analysis of super long-span bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 90, 1493-1515. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00266-0
- Xie, X., Gao, J. S., Kou, C. H. and Huang, J. Y. (2005), "Structural dynamic behavior of long-span cable-stayed bridges using carbon fiber composite cable", J. Zhejiang University(Engineering Science), 39(5), 728-733.
- Zhang, X. J., Sun, B. N., and Xiang, H. F. (2002), "Nonlinear aerostatic and aerodynamic analysis of long-span suspension bridges considering wind-structure interactions", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerodyn., 90(9), 1065-1080. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00251-9
- Damping Behavior of Hybrid Fiber-Reinforced Polymer Cable with Self-Damping for Long-Span Bridges vol.22, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001058
- Stochastic finite element analysis of long-span bridges with CFRP cables under earthquake ground motion vol.35, pp.3, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-010-0013-1
- Static and Dynamic Mechanical Properties of Long-Span Cable-Stayed Bridges Using CFRP Cables vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/6198296
- A comparative study on static and dynamic responses of FRP composite and steel suspension bridges vol.30, pp.15, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684411418391
- Mechanics feasibility of using CFRP cables in super long-span cable-stayed bridges vol.29, pp.5, 2008, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.29.5.567
- Parameters of static response of carbon fiber reinforced polymer (CFRP) suspension cables vol.22, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-015-2849-3
- A Simple Analytical Approach to the Aeroelastic Stability Problem of Long-Span Cable-Stayed Bridges vol.11, pp.1, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1080/15502280903446846