- Volume 4 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Performance analysis tool for reinforced concrete members
- Esmaeily, Asad (Civil Engineering Department, Kansas State University) ;
- Peterman, Robert J. (Civil Engineering Department, Kansas State University)
- Received : 2006.01.21
- Accepted : 2006.10.06
- Published : 2007.10.25
A computer program was developed to analyze the non-linear, cyclic flexural performance of reinforced concrete structural members under various types of loading paths including non-sequential variations in axial load. This performance is significantly affected by the loading history. Different monotonic material models as well as hysteresis rules for confined and unconfined concrete and steel, some developed and calibrated against test results on material samples, were implemented in a fiber-based moment-curvature and in turn force-deflection analysis. One of the assumptions on curvature distribution along the member was based on a method developed to address the variation of the plastic hinge length as a result of loading pattern. Functionality of the program was verified by reproduction of analytical results obtained by others for several cases, and accuracy of the analytical process and the implemented models were evaluated against the experimental results from large-scale reinforced concrete columns tested under the analyzed loading cases. While the program can be used to predict the response of a member under a certain loading pattern, it can also be used to examine various analytical models and methods or refine a custom material model against test data.
- Cusson, D. and Paultre, P. (1995), "Stress-strain model for confined high-strength concrete", ASCE, J. Struct. Eng., 121(3), 468-477. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:3(468)
- Esmaeily, A. (2002), "KSU_RC, Moment-Curvature and Force-Deflection Analysis of a Reinforced Concrete Member", free window based educational computer application
- Esmaeily, A. and Lucio, K. (2006), "Analytical performance of reinforced concrete columns using various confinement models", ACI, SP-238, 95-110.
- Esmaeily, A. and Xiao, Y. (2004), "Behavior of reinforced concrete columns under variable axial loads", ACI Struct, J., 101(1), 124-132.
- Bayrak, O. and Sheikh, S. (1997), "High-strength concrete columns under simulated earthquake loading", American Concrete Inst. Struct. J., 94(6), 708-722.
- CSI Section Builder, Version 8.1.0, (2003), "Concrete, steel and composite sections", Copyright 2002-2003, Computers and Structures, Inc. 1995 University Ave., Berkeley, CA 94704.
- Esmaeily, A. and Xiao, Y. (2005), "Behavior of reinforced concrete columns under variable axial loads: analysis", ACI Struct. J., 102(5), 736-744.
- Mander, J. B., Priestley, M. J. N. and Park R. (1988), "Theoretical stress strain model for confined concrete", ASCE J. Struct. J., 114(8), 1804-1825. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Mazzoni, S., McKenna, F., Scott, M. H. and Fenves, G. L. (2006), "Opensees for earthquake engineering simulation, user command, language manual, version 1.7.2", June, 2006, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, http://opensees.berkeley.edu/OpenSees/manuals/usermanual/index.html
- OpenSees (2006), http://peer.berkeley.edu/-silvia/OpenSees/examplesprimer/html/
- Prakash, V., Powell, G. and Campbell, S. (1993); DRAIN 2D User Guide V 1.10, University of California at Berkeley, CA.
- Priestley, M. J. N. and Park, R. (1987), "Strength and ductility of concrete bridge columns under seismic loading", ACI Structural J., Title No. 84-S08, 61-75.
- Sheikh, S. A. and Uzumeri, S. M. (1982), "Analytical model for concrete confinement in tied columns", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 108, No. ST12, 2703-2722.
- Stress–strain model for circular concrete columns confined by FRP and conventional lateral steel vol.84, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.12.005
- Performance of reinforced concrete columns under bi-axial lateral force/displacement and axial load vol.99, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.04.042
- Software for biaxial cyclic analysis of reinforced concrete columns vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2016.17.3.353