- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on Low-Velocity Impact Characterization of Various Sandwich Panels for the Korean Low Floor Bus Application
초저상 버스 차체 적용을 위한 샌드위치 패널들의 저속충격 특성 연구
- Published : 2007.04.01
In this paper, a study on low-velocity impact response of four different sandwich panels for the hybrid bodyshell and floor structure application of the Korean low floor bus vehicle was done. Square samples of 100mm sides were subjected low-velocity impact loading using an instrumented testing machine at six energy levels. Impact parameters like maximum force, time to maximum force, deflection at maximum force and absorbed energy were evaluated and compared for four different types of sandwich panels. The impact damage size and depth of the permanent indentation were measured by 3-Dimensional Scanner. Failure modes were studied by sectioning the specimens and observed under optical microscope. The impact test results show that sandwich panel with composite laminate facesheet could not observe damage mode of a permanent visible indentation after impact and has a good impact damage resistance in comparison with sandwich panel with metal aluminum facesheet.
Composite Material;Impact Damage;Low Floor Bus;Low-Velocity Impact;Sandwich Panel
- Third Year Report, Hankook Fiber Glass Co. Ltd., 2006, 'Development Urban Fuel Cell Tram Bodyshell and Interior Systems.'
- Martec Limited Prevost Car, 2000, 'Intercity Bus Weight Reduction Program Phase I'
- Shin, K. B., Koo, D. H., Hahn, S. H. and Park, K. J. 2004, 'A Study on Material Selection of the Carbody Structure of Korean Tilting Express(TTX) thorough the Verification of Design Requirements,' Korean Society for Railway, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 77-84
- Shin, K. B., Koo, D. H. and Hahn, S. H., 2004, 'The Development Project of Korean Tilting Train Express with Maximum Design Speed of 200km/h,' Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 62-65
- Vinson, J. R., 1999, 'The Behavior of Sandwich Structures of Isotropic and Composite Materials,' pp. 11-12
- Lee, J. Y., Jeon, J. S., Shin, K. B., Lee, S. J. and Jeong, J. C., 2006, 'Evaluation of the Structural Performances of Sandwich Panels for the Material Selection of the Low Floor Bus Bodyshell,' Autumn Conference of Korean Society for Composite Materials, pp. 176-180
- Jun, J. K., Kwon, O. Y., Lee, U. S., 2001, 'Damage Assessment of Curved Composite Laminate Structures Subjected to Low-Velocity Impact,' Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 22-32
- Kim, J. S., Lee, J. H., Cheong, S. K., 2005, 'A Study on the Low Velocity Impact Response of Woven Fabric Composites for the Hybrid Composite Train Bodyshell,' Korean Society for Composite Materials, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 7-12
- Nguyen, M. Q., Jacombs, S. S., Thomson, R. S., Hachenberg, D. and Scott, M. L., 2005, 'Simulation of Impact on Sandwich Structures,' Composite Structures, Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 217-227 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.09.018
- Hosur, M., Abdullah, M. and Jeelani, S., 2005, 'Manufacturing and Low-velocity Impact Characterization of Foam Filled 3-D Integrated Core Sandwich Composites with Hybrid Facesheets,' Composite Structures, Vol. 69, No. 2, pp. 167-181 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.06.008
- Lee, J. H., Kong, C. D. and Cotstas Soutis, 2005, 'Modeling of Low Velocity Impact Damage in Laminated Composites,' Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 947-957 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02919177
- An experimental investigation on low-velocity impact responses of sandwich panels with the changes of impact location and the wall partition angle of honeycomb core vol.13, pp.10, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-012-0235-8