- Volume 10 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Correlation of Clinical Outcome and Cuff Integrity after Open Repair in Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears
대형 및 광범위 회전근 개 파열의 개방적 봉합술 후 임상적 결과와 회전근 개 연속성(integrity)의 상관 관계
Noh, Haeng-Kee;Wang, Joon-Ho;Kim, Dong-Hwee;Park, Jong-Woong;Kim, Jae-Gyoon;Park, Jung-Ho
- Published : 2007.06.15
Purpose: To evaluate the relationship between the clinical outcome and the cuff integrity following open repair in large and massive rotator cuff tears using ultrasonography as an imaging modality. Material and Methods: From November 2001 to April 2005, 17 cases(16 patients) who had open repair of tear measuring more than 3cm were assessed with minimal follow-up of 12 months in this study. 6 cases had a large tear and 11 cases a massive tear. There were 6 men and 11 women with a mean age of 52 years at surgery (range, 33 to 72 years). The evaluation consisted of the preoperative and postoperative shoulder scores according to UCLA shoulder scoring system and Visual analogue scale (VAS). Ultrasonography was performed by a experienced musculoskeletal physician at a minimum of 12 months postoperatively to evaluate the postoperative cuff integrity. Results: Retear were detected in four of seventeen cases. Regardless of the presence of recurrent tear, 14 cases had UCLA score of more than 29 points (good grade). All 17 had an improvement in the functional score, which increased from an average of 15.1 to 31.2 points. All cases showed pain relief and five cases had no pain. Sixteen cases except one had the range of motion of forward elevation above
Rotator cuff tear;Open repair;Ultrasonography
- Baker CL, Liu SH: Comparison of open and arthroscopically assisted rotator cuff repairs. Am J Sports Med, 23: 99-104, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659502300117
- Bishop J, Klepps S, Lo IK, Bird J, Gladstone JN, Flatow EL: Cuff integrity after arthroscopic versus open rotator cuff repair: a prospective study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 15: 290-299, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2005.09.017
- Burkhart SS: Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: Indication and technique. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine, 5: 204-214, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1060-1872(97)80003-2
- Burkhart SS, Danaceau SM, Pearce CE, Jr: Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: Analysis of results by tear size and by repair technique-margin convergence versus direct tendon-to-bone repair. Arthroscopy, 17: 905-912, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2001.26821
- Ahn BW, Yoon JH, Jung SW, et al: Open Repair of Massive Rotator Cuff Tears. J Korean Shoulder Elbow Society, 9: 20-26, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5397/CiSE.2006.9.1.020
- Calvert PT, Packer NP, Stoker DJ, Bayley JI, Kessel L: Arthrography of the shoulder after operative repair of the torn rotator cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Br, 68: 147-150, 1986.
- Ellman H, Hanker G, Bayer M: Repair of the rotator cuff. End-result study of factors influencing reconstruction. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 68: 1136-1144, 1986.
- Galatz LM, Ball CM, Teefey SA, Middleton WD, Yamaguchi K: The outcome and repair integrity of completely arthroscopically repaired large and massive rotator cuff tears. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 86: 219-224, 2004.
- Gartsman GM: Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 95-106, 2001.
- Gazielly DF, Gleyze P, Montagnon C: Functional and anatomical results after rotator cuff repair. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 43-53, 1994.
- Gerber C, Fuchs B, Hodler J: The results of repair of massive tears of the rotator cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 82: 505-515, 2000.
- Harryman DT, 2nd, Mack LA, Wang KY, Jackins SE, Richardson ML, Matsen FA, 3rd: Repairs of the rotator cuff. Correlation of functional results with integrity of the cuff. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 73: 982-989, 1991.
- Jost B, Pfirrmann CW, Gerber C, Switzerland Z: Clinical outcome after structural failure of rotator cuff repairs. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 82: 304-314, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.82B2.10931
- Kim SH, Ha KI, Park JH, Kang JS, Oh SK, Oh I: Arthroscopic versus mini-open salvage repair of the rotator cuff tear: outcome analysis at 2 to 6 years'follow-up. Arthroscopy, 19: 746-754, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(03)00395-5
- Knudsen HB, Gelineck J, Sojbjerg JO, Olsen BS, Johannsen HV, Sneppen O: Functional and magnetic resonance imaging evaluation after single-tendon rotator cuff reconstruction. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 8: 242-246, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(99)90136-2
- Liu SH, Baker CL: Arthroscopically assisted rotator cuff repair: correlation of functional results with integrity of the cuff. Arthroscopy, 10: 54-60, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-8063(05)80293-2
- Neviaser RJ: Tears of the rotator cuff. Orthop Clin North Am, 11: 295-306, 1980.
- Post M: Complications of rotator cuff surgery. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 97: 104, 1990.
- Schneeberger AG, von Roll A, Kalberer F, Jacob HA, Gerber C: Mechanical strength of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair techniques: an in vitro study. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 84: 2152-2160, 2002.
- Chung ST, Kim HS, Yoo JH, et al: Mini-Open Repair in Large and Massive Rotator Cuff Tears. J Korean Shoulder Elbow Society, 9: 176-180, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5397/CiSE.2006.9.2.176
- Teefey SA, Hasan SA, Middleton WD, Patel M, Wright RW, Yamaguchi K: Ultrasonography of the rotator cuff. A comparison of ultrasonographic and arthroscopic findings in one hundred consecutive cases. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 82: 498-504, 2000.
- Thomazeau H, Boukobza E, Morcet N, Chaperon J, Langlais F: Prediction of rotator cuff repair results by magnetic resonance imaging. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 275: 283, 1997.
- Warner JJ, Goitz RJ, Irrgang JJ, Groff YJ: Arthroscopic-assisted rotator cuff repair: patient selection and treatment outcome. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 6: 463-472, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(97)70054-5
- Wilson F, Hinov V, Adams G: Arthroscopic repair of full-thickness tears of the rotator cuff: 2-to 14-year follow-up. Arthroscopy, 18: 136-144, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2002.30443
- Clinical Outcome and Causative Factor in Patients of Structural Failure after Rotator Cuff Repair vol.11, pp.1, 2008, https://doi.org/10.5397/CiSE.2008.11.1.029