- Volume 10 Issue 1
Pigmented villonodular synovitis(PVNS) is a benign proliferative lesion, involving synovial tissue in joints, tendon sheaths, and bursae. Pigmented villonodular synovitis is a rare and usually monoarticular condition and primarily affects the knee joint and hand. Polyarticular PVNS appears in less than 1% of all case and its occurrence in the shoulder is rare(<2%). We present a 64-year-old male who had pigmented villonodular synovitis of both shoulder joints, which was treated by arthroscopic total synovectomy.
Pigmented villonodular synovitis;Shoulder;Arthroscopy
- Beguin J, Locker B, Vielpeau C, Souquieres G: Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee: results from 13 cases. Arthroscopy, 5: 62-64, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-8063(89)90094-7
- Chiffolot X, Ehlinger M, Bonnomet F, Kempf JF: Arthroscopic resection of pigmented villon-odular synovitis pseudotumor of the shoulder: a case report with three year follow-up. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot, 91: 470-475, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0035-1040(05)84365-X
- Cotten A, Flipo RM, Mestdahg H, Chastanet P: Diffuse pigmented villonodular synovitis of the shoulder. Skeletal Radiol, 24: 311-313, 1995.
- Dorwart RH, Genant HK, Johnston WH, Morris JM: Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the shoulder: radiologic-pathologic assessment. AJR Am J Roentgenol, 143: 886-888, 1984. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.143.4.886
- Johansson JE, Ajjoub S, Coughlin LP, Wener JA, Cruess RL: Pigmented villonodular synovitis of joints. Clin Orthop Relat Res, 159-166, 1982.
- Konrath GA, Nahigian K, Kolowich P: Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the subacromial bursa. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 6: 400-404, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1058-2746(97)90010-0
- Mahieu X, Chaouat G, Blin JL, Frank A, Hardy P: Arthroscopic treatment of pigmented villonodular synovitis of the shoulder. Arthroscopy, 17: 81-87, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1053/jars.2001.7803
- Mulier T, Victor J, Van Den Bergh J, Fabry G: Diffuse pigmented villonodular synovitis of the shoulder. A case report & review of literature. Acta Orthop Belg, 58: 93-96, 1992.
- Muller LP, Bitzer M, Degreif J, Rommens PM: Pigmented villonodular synovitis of the shoulder: review and case report. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 7: 249-256, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001670050158
- Myers BW, Masi AT: Pigmented villonodular synovitis and tenosynovitis: a clinical epidemiologic study of 166 cases and literature review. Medicine (Baltimore), 59: 223-238, 1980.