- Volume 7 Issue 1
The occurrence of a corona is that electrical discharge due to the heterogeneity that occurs when an electrical field is concentrated in an electrode due to a cusp formed on said electrode. Wire treatment at the end of a 154kV dead end clamp for end users accelerates the occurrence of corona, which in turn leads to power loss and noise. In this study, the characteristics of the corona which occurs between porcelain insulators and support clamps of overhead lines used in l54kV power receiving facilities for end users were investigated. The corona, which cannot be identified by one common method, was measured utilizing a UV image camera. A risk assessment for fire damage and its status was suggested. The stress distribution of the electrical field by length of bare wire was suggested by means of the finite element method (FEMLAB). As a result, it was found to affect a porcelain insulators. These results can be utilized for the enhancement of clamp installation and safety in power facilities.
FEMLAB corona;dead end clamp span;electric field;UV camera;porcelain insulator
- Hee-Ro Kwack, "An Internal partial discharge measurement method excepted an external corona noise", KIIEE, vol.15, 2001.
- A.J.Davies and C.J.Rvans, "Field distortion in gaseous discharge between parallel-plate electrode," Proceeding of IEE, vol.114, pp.1547, 1967.
- O.C.Zienkiewiez and R.L.Taylor, "The Finite Element Method Volume2, McGraw-Hill, 1989, pp.484-494.
- C.K.Birdsall, "Partial-in-cell changed-particle simulation, plus Monte Carlo Collision with Neutrial Atoms,Pic-MCC." IEEE Transaction on Plasma Science, vol.19, pp.66-85, 1991
- Jong-Seo Kim, "A study on partial discharge about mold transformer by live sates", KESCO ESRI REPORT, pp. 181-188, 1999.
- M.Khalifa, High-Voltage Engineering, Malcel Dekker, Inc., 1990
- Iae-Yoon Park, "The effect of magnet fields on the corona discharge", KIIEE, vol.15, NO 3, pp51-58, May 2001
- D A. Nattrass, "History of Partial Discharge Research", IEEE Trans. 日, Magazine, Vol. 9, No 4, pp.27-31, 1993.
- W.J. Carter, "Pratical Aspect Partial Discharge Measurements", IEEE Trans. PAS, vol.101, NO 7, pp.1985-1989, 1982.