- Volume 32 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Coupled Acoustic Wave Propagation in Metal Pipe
금속 배관의 연성된 음향 전파 특성
- Published : 2008.03.01
The circular cylinder pipes are used in the many industrial areas. In this paper, the acoustic wave propagation in the pipe containing a gas is researched. First of all, the theory for the coupled acoustic wave propagation in a pipe is investigated. Acoustic wave propagation in pipe can not be occurred independently between the wave of the fluid and the shell. It requires complicated analysis. However, as a special case, the coupled wave in a high density pipe containing a light density medium is corresponded closely to the uncoupled in-vacuo shell waves and to the rigid-walled duct fluid waves. The coincidence frequencies of acoustic and shell modes contribute to the predominant energy transmission. The coincidence frequency means the frequency corresponding to the coincidence of the wavenumber in both acoustic and shell. In this paper, it is assumed that the internal medium is much lighter than the pipe shell. After the uncoupled acoustic wave in the internal medium and uncoupled shell wave are considered, the coincidence frequencies are found. The analysis is successfully confirmed by the verification of the experiment using the real long steel pipe. This work verifies that the coupled wave characteristic of the shell and the fluid is occurred as predominant energy transmission at the coincidence frequencies.
Coupled Problem;Pipe Acoustic Wave Propagation;Cut-off Frequency;Waveguide;Dispersive Wave
- Fuller, C. R., Fahy, F. J., 1982, 'Characteristic of Wave Propagation and Energy Distribution in Cylindrical Elastic Shells Filled with Fluid,' Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 81, No. 4, pp. 501-518 https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-460X(82)90293-0
- Gao, Y., Brennan, M. J., Joseph, P. F., Muggleton, J. M., and Hunaidi, O., 2004, 'A Model of the Correlation Function of Leak Noise in Buried Plastic Pipes,' Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 277, pp. 133-148 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.08.045
- Kim, M. S., Lee, S. K., 2007, 'Identification on Principle of Acoustic Wave Propagation in a Gas Duct,' Proceedings of the KSNVE Annual Spring Conference, KSNVE07S-32-07
- Fahy, F. J., 1985, Sound and Structural Vibration Radiation, Transmission and Response, Academic Press Inc
- Leissa, A. W., 1993, Vibration of Shells, Acoustical Society of America through the America Institute of Physics
- Junger, M. C., Feit, D., 1993, Sound, Structures, and Their Interaction, Acoustical Society of America through the America Institute of Physics
- Kim, J. O., and Rose, J. L., 2005, Thin-Shell Approach for Elastic Wave Propagation in a Pipe with Liquid, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 1087-1094 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02984030
- Rose, Joseph L., 1999, Ultrasonic Waves in Solid Media, Cambridge Univ. press
- Heckl, M., 1962, 'Vibration of Point-Driven Cylindrical Shells,' The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. Vol. 34, No. 10, pp. 1553-1557 https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1909043
- Munjal, M. L., 1987, Acoustics of Ducts and Mufflers with Application to Exhaust and Ventilation System Design, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Belinskiy, B. P., Dauer, J. P., and Uberall, H., 2000, 'The Reality of Fluid-wave Resonance Freq-uencies on a Cylindrical Shell,' Acta Mechanica. Vol. 141, pp. 117-123 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01176811
- Norton, M., Karczub, D., 2003, Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers, 2nd ed., Cambridge Univ. Press
- Vaseghi, S. V., 2006, Advanced Digital Signal Processing and Noise Reduction, 3rd ed, John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Qian, S., 2002, Introduction to Time-Frequency and Wavelet Transforms, Prentice Hall Inc.
- Cohen, L., 1989, 'Time-Frequency Distribution . A Review,' Proceedings of the IEEE. Vol. 77, pp. 941-981 https://doi.org/10.1109/5.30749
- Cho, Y., and Rose, J. L., 1996, 'Guided Waves in a Water Loaded Hollow Cylinder,' Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 12, pp. 323-339 https://doi.org/10.1080/10589759608952856