- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Fretting Wear Simulation of Press-Fitted Shaft with Finite Element Analysis and Influence Function Method
유한요소해석과 영향함수법을 이용한 압입축의 프레팅 마모해석
- Published : 2008.01.01
In this paper the fretting wear of press-fitted specimens subjected to a cyclic bending load was simulated using finite element analysis and numerical method. The amount of microslip and contact variable at press-fitted and bending load condition in a press-fitted shaft was analysed by applying finite element method. With the finite element analysis result, a numerical approach was applied to predict fretting wear based on modified Archard's equation and updating the change of contact pressure caused by local wear with influence function method. The predicted wear profiles of press-fitted specimens at the contact edge were compared with the experimental results obtained by rotating bending fatigue tests. It is shown that the depth of fretting wear by repeated slip between shaft and boss reaches the maximum value at the contact edge. The initial surface profile is continuously changed by the wear at the contact edge, and then the corresponding contact variables are redistributed. The work establishes a basis for numerical simulation of fretting wear on press fits.
Press-Fitted Shaft;Fretting;Fretting Wear;Finite Element Analysis;Influence Function Method
- Waterhouse, R. B., 1992, 'Fretting Fatigue,' International materials reviews, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 77-97 https://doi.org/10.1179/imr.19220.127.116.11
- Horger, O. J., 1952, 'Influence of Fretting Corrosion on the Fatigue Strength of Fitted Members,' ASTM STP144, pp. 40-51
- Maxwell, W., Dudley, B. R., Cleary, A. B., Richards, J. and Shaw, J., 1967-68, 'Measures to Counter Fatigue Failure in Railway Axles,' Proc. Inst. Mech. Engrs, Vol. 182, Pt.1, No. 4, pp. 89-99
- Tanaka, S. I., Hatsuno, K., Mori, B. and Yaguchi, S., 1975, 'Fretting Corrosion and Fatigue Strength for Wheel-seat of Car-Axle - Test Results of Full Size Wheel Axle Testing Machine - (Report 1),' Railway Technical Research Report, No. 955 (In Japanese)
- Nishioka, K. and Komatshu, K., 1967, 'Study on the means for Improvement in Fatigue Strength of Press-fitted Axles,' Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol. 33, No. 248, pp. 503-511 (In Japanese) https://doi.org/10.1299/kikai1938.33.503
- Nishioka, K. and Komatshu, K., 1970, 'Study on the means for Improvement in Fatigue Strength of Press-fitted Axles (Part2),' Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol. 36, No. 291, pp. 1799-1804(In Japanese) https://doi.org/10.1299/kikai1938.36.1799
- Hirakawa, K., Toyama, K. and Kubota, M., 1998, 'The Analysis and Prevention of Failure in Railway Axles,' Int. J. Fatigue, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp.135-144 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-1123(97)00096-0
- Lonsdale, C. and Stone, D., 2004, 'North American Axle Failure Experience,' Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs Part F, J. Rail and Rapid Transit , Vol. 218, No. 4, pp. 293-298 https://doi.org/10.1243/0954409043125941
- Smith, R. A. and Hillmansen, S., 2004, 'A Brief Historical Overview of the Fatigue of Railway Axles,' Proc. Instn Mech. Engrs. Part F: J. Rail and Rapid Transit, Vol. 218 No. 4 pp. 267-278 https://doi.org/10.1243/0954409043125932
- Kubota, M., Niho, S., Sakae, C. and Kondo, Y., 2003, 'Effect of Understress on Fretting Fatigue Crack Initiation of Press-Fitted Axle,' JSME International Journal Series A, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 297-302 https://doi.org/10.1299/jsmea.46.297
- Lee, D. H., Kwon, S. J., Choi, J. B. and Kim,Y. J., 2007, 'Experimental Study on Fatigue Crack Initiation and Propagation due to Fretting Damage in Press-fitted Shaft,' Trans. of the KSME(A), Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 701-709 (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2007.31.6.701
- Johansson, L., 1994, 'Numerical Simulation of Contact Pressure Evolution in Fretting,' Journal of Tribology, Vol. 116, pp. 247-254 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2927205
- Podra, P. and Andersson, S., 1999, 'Simulating Sliding Wear with Finite Element Method,' Tribology International, Vol. 32, pp. 71-81 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-679X(99)00012-2
- Oqvist, M., 2001, 'Numerical Simulations of Mild Wear using Updated Geometry with Different Step Size Approaches,' Wear, Vol. 249, pp. 6-11 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(00)00548-2
- McColl, I. R., Ding, J. and Leen, S. B., 2004, 'Finite Element Simulation and Experimental Validation of Fretting Wear,' Wear, Vol. 256, pp. 1114-1127 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2003.07.001
- Ding, J., Leen, S. B. and McColl, I. R., 2004, 'The Effect of Slip Regime on Fretting Wear-induced Stress Evolution,' International journal of fatigue, Vol. 26, pp. 521-531 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfatigue.2003.09.001
- ABAQUS user's and theory manual, Version 6.4, 2003, Hibbit, Karlson & Sorensen, Inc.
- Lee, D. H., Kwon, S. J., Choi, J. B. and Kim, Y. J., 2006, 'Fatigue Life Evaluation of Press-fitted Shaft considering the Evolution of Contact Stress and Surface profile under Bending Load,' 9th International Fatigue Congress, CD-ROM ver.
- Ugural, A.C. and Fenster, S.K., 1995, Advanced strength and applied elasticity, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Stowers, I. F. and Rabinowicz, E., 1973, 'The Mechanism of Fretting Wear,' J. Lubrication Technol., Vol. 90, pp. 65-70
- Archard, J. F., 1953, 'Contact and Rubbing of Flat Surfaces,' J. Appl. Phys., Vol.24, pp.981-988 https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1721448
- Johnson, K. L., 1985, Contact Mechanics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K.
- Allwood, J., 2005, 'Survey and Performance Assessment of Solution Methods for Elastic Rough Contact Problems,' Journal of Tribology, Vol. 127, pp. 10-23 https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1828073
- Kim, H.-K., Hills, D.A. and Nowell, D., 2000, 'Partial Slip between Contacting Cylinders under Transverse and Axial Shear,' International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, Vol. 42, pp. 199-212 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(98)00127-1
- Press, W.H., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T. and Flannery, B.P., 1992, Numerical Recipes in Fortran 77, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press
- Waterhouse, R. B., 1972, Fretting Corrosion, Pergamon Press, Oxford
- Yang, L.J., 2003, 'Wear Coefficient Equation for Aluminium-based Matrix Composites against Steel Disc,' Wear, Vol. 255, No. 1, pp. 579-592 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1648(03)00191-1
- A Study on the Model of Thermal Plume Flow in the Forest Fire vol.12, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.5293/KFMA.2009.12.1.007
- vol.12, pp.1, 2009, https://doi.org/10.5293/KFMA.2009.12.1.070
- Evaluation of Fatigue Crack Initiation Life in a Press-Fitted Shaft Considering the Fretting Wear vol.33, pp.10, 2009, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.10.1091