- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Optimum Methionine to Methionine Plus Cystine Ratio for Growing Pigs Determined Using Plasma Urea Nitrogen and Nitrogen Balance
- Qiao, Shiyan (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Piao, Xiangshu (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Feng, Zhanyu (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Ding, Yuhua (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Yue, Longyao (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Center, China Agricultural University) ;
- Thacker, P.A. (Ministry of Agriculture Feed Industry Center, China Agricultural University)
- Received : 2006.08.09
- Accepted : 2007.01.03
- Published : 2008.03.01
The objective of this study was to determine the optimum ratio of methionine to methionine plus cystine for growing pigs. A nitrogen balance trial was conducted using a total of 21 barrows (Large WhiteLandrace) over two replicates. The initial body weight was
Pigs;Methionine;Cystine;Ratio;Nitrogen Retention;Plasma Urea Nitrogen
- Coma, J., D. R. Zimmerman and D. Carrion. 1995b. Relationship of rate of lean tissue growth and other factors to concentration of urea in plasma of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 73: 3649-3656. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73123649x
- Chung, T. K. and D. H. Baker. 1992. Maximal portion of the young pig's sulfur amino acid requirement that can be furnished by cystine. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1182-1187. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7041182x
- Coma, J., D. Carrion and D. R. Zimmerman. 1995a. Use of plasma urea nitrogen as a rapid response criterion to determine the lysine requirement of pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 73:472-481. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.732472x
- AOAC. 1995. Official Methods of Analysis, 16th ed. Association of Official Analysis Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Cai, Y. J., R. C. Ewan and D. R. Zimmerman. 1992. Effects of dietary energy, protein and potassium levels on plasma urea nitrogen and free amino acids in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 70(Suppl. 1):236(Abstr.).
- De Lange, C. F. M., A. M. Gillis and G. J. Simpson. 2001. Influence of threonine intake on whole-body protein deposition and threonine utilization in growing pigs fed purified diets. J. Anim. Sci. 79:3087-3095. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79123087x
- Fuller, M. F., R. McWilliam, T. C. Wang and L. R. Giles. 1989. The optimum dietary amino acid pattern for growing pigs. 2. Requirements for maintenance and for tissue protein accretion. Br. J. Nutr. 64:255-267.
- Honeyfield, D. C., J. A. Froseth and R. J. Barke. 1985. Dietary sodium and chloride levels for growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 60:691-698. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1985.603691x
- Kerschner, L. and J. Ziegenhorn. 1985. Urea. In: Methods in Enzymatic Analysis. 3rd edn. (Ed. H. U. Bergmeyer). Vol. 8, Verlag Chemie, Weinheim, pp. 444-453.
- Lewis, A. J. 2003. Methionine-cystine relationships in pig nutrition. In: Amino Acids in Animal Nutrition., 2nd edn. (Ed. J. P. F. D'Mello) vol. 8, CAB International, Wallingford, UK pp. 143-155.
- Mahan, D. C. and R. G. Jr. Shields. 1998. Essential and nonessential amino acid composition of pigs from birth to 145 kilograms of body weight, and comparison to other studies. J. Anim. Sci. 76:513-521. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.762513x
- Mohn, S., A. M. Gillis, P. J. Moughan and C. F. M. de Lange. 2000. Influence of dietary lysine and energy intakes on body protein deposition and lysine utilization in the growing pig. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1510-1519. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7861510x
- Wang, T. C. and M. F. Fuller. 1989. The optimum dietary amino acid pattern for growing pigs. 1. Experiments by amino acid deletion. Br. J. Nutr. 62:77-89. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19890009
- Welbourne, T. C., V. Phromphetcharat, G. Givens and S. Joshi. 1986. Regulation of interorganal glutamine flow in metabolic acidosis. Am. J. Physiol. 250(4 Pt 1):E457-E463.
- Yang, C. J., D. W. Lee, I. B. Chung, Y. M. Cho, I. S. Shin, B. J. Chae, J. H. Kim and In K. Han. 1997. Developing model equation to subdivide methionine+cystine requirements into requirement for growth and maintenance in pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 10(1):86-97. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1997.86
- SAS. 2002. SAS/STAT at User's Guide (Release 184.108.40.206.0 Ed.). SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC.
- Schutte, J. B., M. W. Bosch, J. de Jong, E. J. van Weerden and F. Koch. 1991. Factors affecting the requirement of dietary sulphur-containing amino acids of young pigs. Netherland J. Agric. Sci. 39:91-101.
- Slagle, S. P. and D. R. Zimmerman. 1979. Evaluation of a yeast single cell protein with young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 49:1252- 1260. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.4951252x
- Van Kleef, D. J., K. Deuring and P. van Leeuwen. 1994. A new method of faeces collection in the pig. Lab. Anim. 28:78-79. https://doi.org/10.1258/002367794781065942
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th ed. National Academic Press, Washington, DC.
- Reijmers, A. T. H., A. M. Gillis and C. F. M. de Lang. 2002. Optimum dietary methionine to methionine+cystine ratio for growing pigs. In: Amino Acids in Animal Nutrition (Ed. M. Pack, J. Ficklen, M. Rademachen, A. Lemme, S. Mack, D. Hohlen, J. Fonlaine and A. Petoi), CORAL SANIVET, Bucharest pp. 453-457.
- Robbins, K. B., H. W. Norton and D. H. Baker. 1979. Estimation of nutrient requirements from growth data. J. Nutr. 109:1710- 1714. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/109.10.1710
- Roth, F. X. and M. Kirchgesser. 1989. Influence of the methionine:cysteine relationship in the feed on the performance of growing pigs. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 61:265-274. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1989.tb00108.x
- Russell, L. E., G. L. Cromwell and T. S. Stahly. 1983. Tryptophan, threonine, isoleucine and methionine supplementation of a 12% protein, lysine-supplemented, corn-soybean meal diet for growing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 56:1115-1123. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1983.5651115x
- Zimmermann, B., R. Mosenthin, M. Rademacher, P. B. Lynch and E. Esteve-Garcia. 2005. Comparative studies on the relative efficacy of DL-methionine and liquid mechionine hydroxy analogue in growing pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18(7):1003-1010. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1003