- Volume 21 Issue 3
Beak trimming in laying hens is a routine practice in which about 1/3-1/2 of the upper and lower beak is removed with the aim of reducing cannibalism. This experiment aimed to identify if this procedure causes pain by examining self-administration of an analgesic (carprofen) and pecking behaviour in 80 laying pullets beak-trimmed by two different methods at one day of age using hot-blade cauterisation or infra-red cauterisation. We also tested a control treatment, pullets with intact beaks, and a positive control treatment of pullets beak trimmed at 10 weeks of age which were expected to experience some pain due to recent severing of the underlying nerves in the beak. At 11 weeks of age birds trimmed at 10 weeks of age pecked more (p<0.001) gently (
Beak Trimming;Analgesic;Hens;Neuropathic Pain;Carprofen
- Breward, J. and M. J. Gentle. 1985. Neuroma formation and abnormal afferent nerve discharges after partial beak amputation (beak-trimming) in poultry. Experientia, 41:1132-1135. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01951693
- Cheng, H. W. 2006. Morphopathological changes and pain in beak trimmed laying hens. World's Poult. Sci. J. 62:41-52. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS200583
- Davis, G. S., K. E. Anderson and D. R. Jones. 2004. The effects of different beak trimming techniques on plasma corticosterone and performance criteria in single comb white leghorn hens. Poult. Sci. 83:1624-1628. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.10.1624
- Gentle, M. J. 1986. Neuroma formation following partial beak amputation (beak-trimming) in the chicken. Res. Vet. Sci. 41:383-385.
- Gentle, M. J., B. O. Hughes, A. Fox and D. Waddington. 1997. Behavioural and anatomical consequences of two beak trimming methods in 1- and 10-d-old domestic chicks. Br. Poult. Sci. 38:453-463 https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669708418022
- Carey, J. B. and B. W. Lassiter. 1995. Influences of age at final beak trim on the productive performance of commercial layers. Poult. Sci. 74:615-619. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0740615
- Colpaert, F. C., J. P. Tarayre, M. Alliaga, L. A. B. Slot, N. Attal and W. Koek. 2001. Opiate self-administration as a measure of chronic nociceptive pain in arthritic rats. Pain, 91:33-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(00)00413-9
- Danbury, T. C., C. A. Weeks, J. P. Chambers, A. E. Waterman- Pearson and S. C. Kestin. 2000. Self-selection of the analgesic drug carprofen by lame broiler chickens. Vet. Rec. 14:307-311.
- Miao, Z. H., P. C. Glatz and Y. J. Ru. 2005. Free-range poultry production - a review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:113-132. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.113
- vanLiere, D. W. 1995. Responsiveness to a novel preening stimulus long after partial beak amputation (beak trimming) in laying hens. Behav. Processes, 34:169-174. https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-6357(94)00066-P
- Wall, P. D. 1981. On the origin of pain associated with amputation. In: Phantom and stump pain (Ed. J. Siegfried and M. Zimmerman). Springer Verlag, Berlin. pp. 2-14.
- McGeown, D., T. C. Danbury, A. E. Waterman-Pearson and S. C. Kestin. 1999. Effect of carprofen on lameness in broiler chickens. Vet. Rec. 144:668-671. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.144.24.668
- Megret, S., F. Rudeaux, J-M. Faure and M. Picard. 1996. The role of the beak in poultry. Effects of debeaking. INRA Prod. Anim. 9:113-119.
- Glatz, P. C., L. B. Murphy and A. P. Preston. 1992. Analgesic therapy of beak-trimmed chickens. Aust. Vet. J. 69:18-18. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1992.tb09859.x
- Kupers, R. and J. Gybels. 1995. The consumption of fentanyl is increased in rats with nociceptive but not neuropathic pain. Pain, 60:137-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(94)00106-O
- Lunam, C. A., P. C. Glatz and Y.-J. Hsu. 1996. The absence of neuromas in beaks of adult hens after conservative trimming at hatch. Aust. Vet. J. 74:46-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-0813.1996.tb13734.x
- Glatz, P. C. 1990. Effect of age of beak trimming on the production performance of hens. Aust. J. Exp. Agr. 30:349-355. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA9900349
- Glatz, P. C. 2000. Beak trimming methods. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:1619-1637. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.1619
- Zuberbueher, C. A, R. E. Messikommer and C. Wenk. 2002. Choice feeding of selenium-deficient laying hens affects diet selection, selenium intake and body weight. J. Nutr. 132:3411- 3417. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.11.3411
- The prevention and control of feather pecking: application to commercial systems vol.69, pp.04, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70039
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Poultry Cooperative Research Centre