- Volume 21 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Soybean Oil or Whole Cotton Seed Addition on Accumulation of Conjugated Linoleic Acid in Beef of Fattening Brahman×Tai-Native Catle
- Suksombat, Wisitiporn (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology, University Avenue) ;
- Chullanandana, Khukhuan (School of Animal Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology, Suranaree University of Technology, University Avenue)
- Received : 2008.01.20
- Accepted : 2008.05.20
- Published : 2008.10.01
Effects of soybean oil or whole cotton seed addition on conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) and performance of fattening Brahman
Conjugated Linoleic Acid;Fattening Cattle;Whole Cotton Seed;Soybean Oil
- Huerta-Leidenz, N. O., H. R. Cross, D. K. Lunt, L. S. Pelton, J. W. Savell and S. B. Smith. 1991. Growth, carcass traits and fatty acid profiles of adipose tissues from steers fed whole cottonseed. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3665-3672. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6993665x
- Ip, C., S. Banni, E. Angioni, G. J. Carta, H. J. McGinley, D. Thompson, D. Barbano and D. Bauman. 1999. Conjugated linoleic acid-enriched butter fat alters mammary gland morphogenesis and reduces cancer risk in rats. J. Nutr. 129:2135-2143. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/129.12.2135
- Luginbuhl, J. M., M. H. Poore and A. P. Conrad. 2000. Effect of level of whole cottonseed on intake, digestibility and performance of growing male goats fed hay-based diets. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1677-1683. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7861677x
- Madron, M. S., D. G. Peterson, D. A. Dwyer, B. A. Corl, L. H. Baumgard, D. H. Beermann and D. E. Bauman. 2002. Effect of extruded full-fat soybeans on conjugated linoleic acid content of intramuscular, intermuscular, and subcutaneous fat in beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1135-1143. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8041135x
- Metcalfe, L. D., A. A. Schmitz and J. R. Pelka. 1966. Rapid preparation of fatty acid esters from lipids for gas chromatographic analysis. Analytical Chemistry 38:514-515. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60235a044
- Mir, P. S., Z. Mir, P. S. Kuber, C. T. Gaskins, E. L. Martin, M. V. Dodson, J. A. Elias Calles, K. A. Johnson, J. R. Busboom, A. J. Wood, G. J. Pittenger and J. J. Reeves. 2002. Growth, carcass characteristics, muscle conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) content, and response to intravenous glucose challenge in high percentage Wagyu, WagyuxLimousin, and Limousin steers fed sunflower oil-containing diets. J. Anim. Sci. 80:29996-3004. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80112996x
- Department of Livestock Development. 2007. Statistics of livestock raised in Thailand. http://www.dld.go.th/ict/yearly/ yearly50/stock
- Engle, T. E., J. W. Spears, V. Fellner and J. Odle. 2000. Effects of soybean oil and dietary copper on ruminal and tissue lipid metabolism in finishing steers. J. Anim. Sci. 78:2713-2721. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.78102713x
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. Sloane-Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Bio. Chem. 226:495-509.
- Gaullier, J., J. Halse, K. Hoye, K. Kristiansen, H. Fagertun, H. Vik and O. Gudmundsen. 2005. Supplementation with conjugated linoleic acid for 24 months is well tolerated by and reduces body fat mass in healthy, overweight humans. J. Nutr. 135:778-784. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/135.4.778
- Gibb, D. J., F. N. Owens, P. S. Mir, Z. Mir, M. Ivan and T. A. McAllisster. 2004. Value of sunflower seed in finishing diets of feedlot cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 82:2679-2692. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8292679x
- Griinari, J. M., D. A. Dwyer, M. A. McGuire, D. E. Bauman, D. L. Palmouist and K. V. V. Nurmela. 1998. Trans-octadecenoic acids and milk fat depression in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 81:1251-1261. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(98)75686-3
- Griswold, K. E., G. A. Apgar, R. A. Robinson, B. N. Jacobson, D. Johnson and H. D. Woody. 2003. Effectiveness of short-term feeding strategies for altering conjugated linoleic acid content of beef. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1862-1871. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8171862x
- Houseknecht, K. L., J. P. Vanden Heuvel, S. Y. Moya-Camarena, C. P. Portocarrero, L. W. Peck, K. P. Nickel and M. A. Belury. 1998. Dietary conjugated linoleic acid normalizes impaired glucose tolerance in the Zucker diabetic fatty fa/fa rat. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 244:678-682. https://doi.org/10.1006/bbrc.1998.8303
- Bolte, M. R., B. W. Hess, W. J. Means, G. E. Moss and D. C. Rule. 2002. Feeding lambs high-oleate or high-linoleate safflower seeds differentially influences carcass fatty acid composition1. J. Anim. Sci. 80:609-616. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.803609x
- Cook, M. E., C. C. Miller, Y. Park and M. Pariza. 1993. Immune modulation by altered nutrient metabolism-nutritional control of immune-induced growth depression. Poult. Sci. 72:1301- 1305. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0721301
- Corl, B. A., D. M. Barbano, D. E. Bauman and C. Ip. 2003. cis-9, trans-11 CLA derived endogenously from trans-11 18:1 reduces cancer risk in rats. J. Nutr. 133:2893-2900. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/133.9.2893
Corl, B. A., L. H. Baumgard, D. A. Dwyer, J. M. Giinari, B. S. Phillips and D. E. Bauman. 2001. The role of
$\Delta^9$-desaturase in the production of cis-9, trans-11 CLA. J. Nutr. Biochem. 12:622-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0955-2863(01)00180-2
- Craston, J. J., J. D. Rivera, M. L. Galyean, M. M. Brashears, J. C. Brooks, C. E. Markham, L. J. McBeth and C. R. Krehbiel. 2006. Effects of feeding whole cottonseed and cottonseed products on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2186-2199. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-669
- Dhiman, T. R., S. Zaman, K. C. Olson, H. R. Bingham, A. L. Ure and M. W. Pariza. 2005. Influence of feeding soybean oil on conjugated linoleic acid content in beef. J. Agric. Food Chem. 53:684-689. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049048c
- Andrae, J. G., S. K. Duckett, C. W. Hunt, G. T. Pritchard and F. N. Owens. 2001. Effects of feeding high-oil corn to beef steers on carcass characteristics and meat quality. J. Anim. Sci. 79:582- 588. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.793582x
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1998. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. AOAC, Washington, DC.
- Bauman, D. E., L. H. Baumgard, B. A. Corl and J. M. Griinari. 1999. Biosynthesis of conjugated linoleic acid in ruminants. Proc. Am. Soc. Anim. Sci. E30.
- Beaulieu, A. D., J. K. Drackley and N. R. Merchen. 2002. Concentrations of conjugated linoleic acid (cis-9, trans-11- octadecadienoic acid) are not increased in tissue lipids of cattle fed a high-concentrate diet supplemented with soybean oil. J. Anim. Sci. 80:847-861. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.803847x
- Belury, M. A. 2002. Inhibition of carcinogenesis by conjugated linoleic acid: potential mechanisms of action. J. Nutr. 132:2995-2998. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.10.2995
- Blankson, H., J. A. Stakkestad, H. Fagertun, E. Thom, J. Wadstein and O. Gudmundsen. 2000. Conjugated linoleic acid reduces body fat mass in overweight and obese humans. J. Nutr. 130:2943-2948. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/130.12.2943
- Page, A. M., C. A. Sturdivant, D. K. Lunt and S. B. Smith. 1997. Dietary whole cottonseed depresses lipogenesis but has no effect on stearoyl coenzyme desaturase activity in bovine subcutaneous adipose tissue. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 118(1):79-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0305-0491(97)00027-8
- Ostrowska, E., F. R. Dunshea, M. Muralitharan and R. F. Cross. 2000. Comparison of silver-ion high-performance liquid chromatographic quantification of free and methylated conjugated linoleic acids. Lipids 35:1147-1153. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-000-0630-y
- Palmquist, D. L. 1995. Digestibily of cotton lint fiber and whole oilseeds by ruminal microorganism. Anim. Feed. Sci. 56:231- 242. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00830-6
- Park, Y., K. J. Albright, J. M. Storkson, M. E. Cook and M. W. Pariza. 1997. Effect of conjugated linoleic acid on body composition in mice. Lipids 32:853-858. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11745-997-0109-x
- Steel, R. G. D. and J. H. Torrie. 1980. Principles and procedures of statistics: A biometrical approach (2nd Ed.). McGraw-Hill Inc., New York.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and nostrach polysaccharides in relation to animal production. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Wang, J. H., S. H. Choi, K. W. Lim, K. H. Kim and M. K. Song. 2006. Effect of the mixed oil and monensin supplementation, and feeding duration of supplements on c9, t11-CLA contents in plasma and fat tissues of Korean Native (Hanwoo) steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(10):1464-1469. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1464
- Moore, J. A., R. S. Swingle and W. H. Hale. 1986. Effects of whole cottonseed, cottonseed oil or animal fat on digestibility of wheat straw diets by steers. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1267-1273. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1986.6341267x
- Noci, F., P. French, F. J. Monahan and A. P. Moloney. 2007. The fatty acid composition of muscle fat and subcutaneous adipose tissue of grazing heifers supplemented with plant oil-enriched concentrates. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1062-1073. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-105
- Noci, F., P. O'Kiely, F. J. Monahan, C. Stanton and A. P. Moloney. 2005. Conjugated linoleic acid concentration in M. Longissimus dorsi from heifers offered sunflower oil-based concentrates and conserved forages. Meat Sci. 69:509-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.09.006
- Nicolosi, R. J., E. J. Rogers, D. Kritchevsky, J. A. Scimeca and P. J. Huth. 1997. Dietary conjugated linoleic acid reduces plasma lipoproteins and early aortic atherosclerosis in hypercholesterolemic hamsters. Artery 22:266-277.
- NRC. 1984. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. 6th ed. (revised). National Academic Science, Washington,DC, USA.
- NRC. 1996. Nutrient requirements of beef cattle. 7th ed. (revised): update 2000. National Academic Science, Washington, DC, USA.
- NRC. 2001. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 7th ed. (revised). National Academic Science, Washington,DC, USA.
- Mir, P. S., T. A. McAllister, S. Zaman, S. D. M. Jones, M. L. He, J. L. Aalhus, L. E. Jeremiah, L. A. Goonewardene, R. J. Weselake and Z. Mir. 2003. Effect of dietary sunflower oil and vitamin E on beef cattle performance, carcass characteristics and meat quality. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 83:53-66. https://doi.org/10.4141/A02-014
- Whitney, M. B., B. W. Hess, L. A. Burgwald-Balstad, J. L. Sayer, C. M. Tsopito, C. T. Talbott and D. M. Hallford. 2000. Effects of supplemental soybean oil level on in vitro digestion and performance of prepubertal beef heifers. J. Anim. Sci. 78:504- 514. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.783504x
- Choi, S. H., J. H. Wang, Y. J. Kim, Y. K. Oh and M. K. Song. 2006. Effect of soybean oil supplementation on the contents of plasma cholesterol ans cis9, trans11-CLA of the fat tissues in sheep. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19(5):679-683. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.679
- SAS. 1998. User'Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute Inc., North Carolina. p. 231.