- Volume 21 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Development of a Dynamic System Simulating Pig Gastric Digestion
- Chiang, C.-C. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Croom, J. (Department of Poultry Science, North Carolina State University) ;
- Chuang, S.-T. (Department of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Chiou, P.W.S. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University) ;
- Yu, B. (Department of Animal Science, National Chung Hsing University)
- Received : 2007.11.04
- Accepted : 2008.03.17
- Published : 2008.10.01
The objective of this study was to develop a model for simulating gastric digestion in the pig. The model was constructed to include the chemical and physical changes associated with gastric digestion such as enzyme release, digestion product removal and gastric emptying. Digesta was collected from the stomach cannula of pigs to establish system parameters and to document the ability of the model to simulate gastric digestion. The results showed that the average pH of gastric digesta increased significantly from 2.47 to 4.97 after feed consumption and then decreased 140 min postprandial. The model described the decrease in pH within the pigs' stomach as
Gastric Digestion Modelling;Pigs;Protein Digestion
Supported by : National Science Council
- Colucci, P. E., G. K. Macledo, W. L. Grovum, I. McYillan and D. J. Barney. 1990. Digesta kinetics in sheep and cattle fed diets with different forage to concentrate ratios at high and low Intakes. J. Dairy Sci. 73:2143-2156. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(90)78895-9
- Fang, Z. F., J. Peng, T. J. Tang, Z. L. Liu, J. J. Dai and L. Z. Jin. 2007. Xylanase supplementation improved digestibility and performance of growing pigs fed chinese double-low rapeseed meal inclusion diets: in vitro and in vivo studies. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:1721-1728. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.1721
- Furuya, S., K. Sakamoto and S. Takahashi. 1979. A new in vitro method for the estimation of digestibility using the intestinal fluid of the pig. Br. J. Nutr. 41:511-520. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19790066
- Hunt, J. N. and D. F. Stubs. 1975. The volume and energy content of meals as determinants of gastric empty. J. Physiol. 245: 209-225. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1975.sp010841
- Ishikawa, S. 1966. Reliability of polyethylene glycol as an indicator for digestion studies with swine. Part I. Rate of passage of polyethylene glycol through the digestive tract. Agr. Biol. Chem. 30:278-284. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.30.278
- Johansen, H. N., K. E. Bach Knudsen, B. Dandström and F. Skjoth. 1996. Effects of varying content of soluble dietary fiber from wheat flour and oat milling fractions on gastric emptying in pigs. Br. J. Nutr. 75:339-351. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19960138
- Keys, J. E. Jr. and J. V. DeBarthe. 1974. Site and extent of carbohydrate, dry matter, energy and protein digestion and the rate of passage of grain diets in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 39:57-62. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1974.39157x
- Longland, A. C. 1991. Digestive enzyme activities in pigs and poultry. In: In vitro digestion for pigs and poultry. M.F. Fuller, CAB INTERNATINAL, Wallingford, UK. pp. 3-18.
- Akeson, W. R. and M. A. Stahmann. 1964. A pepsin pancreatin digest index of protein quality evaluation. J. Nutr. 83:257-261. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/83.3.257
- Anson, M. L. 1938. The estimation of pepsin, trypsin, papain and cathepsin with hemoglobin. J. Gen. Physiol. 22:79-89. https://doi.org/10.1085/jgp.22.1.79
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists. 1980. Official Methods of Analysis. 13th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Babinszky, L., J. M. Van Der Meer, H. Boer and L. A. Den Hartog. 1990. An in-vitro method for the prediction of the digestible crude protein content in pig feeds. J. Sci. Food Agric. 50:173- 178. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740500205
- Boisen, S. and J. A. Fernandez. 1991. In vitro digestibility of energy and amino acids in pig feeds. p 231-236 In: Digestive physiology in pigs (Ed. M. W. A. Verstegen, J. Huisman and L. A. Hartog). PuDoc, Wageningen, the Netherlands.
- Boisen, S. and J. A. Fernández. 1995. Prediction of the apparent ileal digestibility of protein and amino acids in feedstuffs and feed mixture for pigs by in vitro analyses. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 51:29-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(94)00686-4
- Chiang, C.-C., B. Yu and P. W.-S. Chiou. 2005. Effects of xylanase supplementation to wheat-based diet on the performance and nutrient availability of broiler chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:1141-1146. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1141
- Cone, J. W. and A. F. B. van der Poel. 1993. Prediction of apparent ileal protein digestibility in pigs with two-step in-vitro method. J. Sci. Food Agric. 62:393-400. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740620413
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometry. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Yang, Y. X., Y. G. Kim, J. D. Lohakare, J. H. Yun, J. K. Lee and M. S. Kwon. 2007. Comparative efficacy of different soy protein sources on growth performance, nutrition digestibility and intestinal morphology in weaned pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:775-783. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.775
- Yvon, M., S. Beucher, P. Scanff, S. Thirouin and J. P. Pelissier. 1992. In vitro simulation of gastric digestion of milk proteins: Comparison between in vitro and in vivo data. J. Agric. Food Chem. 40:239-244. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00014a014
- Notivol, R., I. Carrio, L. Cano, M. Estorch and F. Vilardell. 1984. Gastric emptying of solid and liquid meals in healthy young subjects. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 19:1107-1113.
- Robins, R. C. 1978. Effect of ratio of enzymes to substrate on amino acid patterns released from protein in vito. Int. J. Vitam. Nut. Res. 48:44-53.
- SAS. 1999. SAS Users' guide: Statistics, Ver. 8.0. SAS Institude Inc., Cary, NC.
- Savalle, B., G. Miranda and J.-P. Pelissier. 1989. In vitro simulation of gastric digestion of milk protein. J. Agric. Food Chem. 37:1336-1340. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00089a028
- Low, A. G., R. J. Pittman and R. J. Elliott. 1985. Gastric emptying of barley-soya-bean diets in the pig: effects of feeding level, supplementary maize oil, sucrose or cellulose, and water intake. Br. J. Nutr. 54:437-447. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19850129
- Marteau, P., B. Flouri, J. P. Pochart, C. Chastang, J. F. Desjeux and J. C. Rambaud. 1990. Role of the microbial lactase (EC 3.2.123) activity from yoghurt on the intestinal absorption of lactose: an in vivo study in lactase-deficient humans. Br. J. Nutr. 64:71-79. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900010
- Mertz, E. T., M. M. Hassen, C. C.-Whittern, A. W. Kirleis, L. Tu and J. D. Axtell. 1984. Pepsin digestibility of proteins in sorghum and other major cereals (Improved pepsin assay/processing effects/ temperature effects). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 81:1-2. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.81.1.1
- Hebrarda, G., S. Blanqueta, E. Beyssaca, G. Remondettob, M. Subiradeb and M. Alric. 2006. Use of whey protein beads as a new carrier system for recombinant yeasts in human digestive tract. J. Biotechnol. 127(1):151-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiotec.2006.06.012
- Minekus, M., P. Marteau, R. Havenaar and J. H. J. Huis in't Veld. 1995. A multicompartmental dynamic computer-controlled model simulating the stomach and small intestine. Altern. Lab. Anim. 23:197-209.
- Weisbrodt, N. W., I. N. Wiley, B. F. Overholt and P. Bass. 1969. A relation between gastroduodenal muscle contractions and gastric emptying. Gut. 10:543-548. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.10.7.543
- Evaluation of Un-fasted Pig Stomach Spent Feed as a Substitute in Finishing Pigs Diet vol.53, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.6.525
- Modeling the fate of dietary phosphorus in the digestive tract of growing pigs1 vol.89, pp.11, 2011, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-3397
- Effects of different vehiculization strategies for the allium derivative propyl propane thiosulfonate during dynamic simulation of the pig gastrointestinal tract pp.1918-1825, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2018-0063