- Volume 21 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Genetic Relationships among Australian and Mongolian Fleece-bearing Goats
- Bolormaa, S. (School of Environmental and Rural Sciences, University of New England) ;
- Ruvinsky, A. (School of Environmental and Rural Sciences, University of New England) ;
- Walkden-Brown, S. (School of Environmental and Rural Sciences, University of New England) ;
- van der Werf, J. (School of Environmental and Rural Sciences, University of New England)
- Received : 2007.11.01
- Accepted : 2008.07.08
- Published : 2008.11.01
Microsatellites (MS) are useful for quantifying genetic variation within and between populations and for describing the evolutionary relationships of closely related populations. The main objectives of this work were to estimate genetic parameters, measure genetic distances and reconstruct phylogenetic relationships between Australian Angora/Angora_Aus/ and Cashmere/Cashmere_Aus/ populations and three Mongolian Cashmere goat (Bayandelger/BD/, Zavkhan Buural/ZB/, and Gobi Gurvan Saikhan/GGS/) populations based on variation at fourteen MS loci. The level and pattern of observed and expected heterozygosity and polymorphic information content of the fourteen loci studied across the populations were quite similar and high. Except for SRCRSP07, all studied microsatellites were in Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium (p<0.001). Moderate genetic variation (7.5%) was found between the five goat populations with 92.5% of total genetic variation attributable to diversity existing between the individuals within each population. The greatest Nei's genetic distances were found between the Angora and four Cashmere populations (0.201-0.276) and the lowest distances were between the Mongolian Cashmere goat populations (0.026-0.031). Compared with other Cashmere goat populations, the GGS (crossbred with Russian Don Goats) population had the smallest pairwise genetic distance from the Australian Angora population (0.192). According to a three-factorial correspondence analysis (CA), the three different Mongolian Cashmere populations could hardly be distinguished from each other.
Population;Microsatellite Marker (MS);Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium (HWE);Genetic Variation;Phylogenetic Relationships
- Barker, Tan, Moore, Mukherjee, Matheson and Selvaraj. 2001. Genetic variation within and relationshps among populations of asian goats (capra hircus). J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 118:213-233. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0388.2001.00296.x
- Belkhir, K., P. Borsa, L. Chikhi, N. Raufaste and F. Bonhomme. 1996. Genetix 4.05, logiciel sous windows tm pour la genetique des populations. Laboratoire Genome, Populations, Interactions, CNRS UMR 5000, Universite de Montpellier II, Montpellier (France).
- de Araujo, A. M., S. E. F. Guimaraes, T. M. M. Machado, P. S. Lopes, G. S. Pereira, F. L. R. da Silva, M. T. Rodrigues, V. D. S. Columbiano and C. G. da Fonseca. 2006. Genetic diversity between herds of alpine and saanen dairy goats and the naturalized brazilian moxoto breed. Genetics and Molecular Biology 29:67-74. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1415-47572006000100014
- Efron. 1982. The jacknife, the bootstrap, and other resampling plans. CBMS-NSF. Regional conference series in applied mathematics. No.38.
- Felsenstein, J. 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: An approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39:783-791. https://doi.org/10.2307/2408678
- Zapata, C., S. Rodriguez, G. Visedo and F. Sacristan. 2001. Spectrum of nonrandom associations between microsatellite loci on human chromosome 11p15. Genet. 158: 1235-1251.
- Sambrook, J., E. Fritsch and T. Maniatis. 1989. Molecular cloning: A laboratory manual. Book 2. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York, USA.
- Schneider, S., D. Roessli and L. Excoffier. 2000. Arlequin version 2.0: A software for population genetics data analysis. Retrieved on the 5th of April, 2004 from http://anthro.unige.ch/arlequin
- Guo, S. W. and E. A. Thompson. 1992. Performing the exact test of hardy-weinberg proportion for multiple alleles. Biometrics 48:361-372. https://doi.org/10.2307/2532296
- Kumar, S., K. Tamura, I. B. Jakobsen and M. Nei. 1993-2005. Mega3: Molecular evolutionary genetics analysis software. Retrieved on the 17th of May, 2005 from http://evolgen.biol.metro-u.ac.jp/MEGA/manual/default.html
- Li, M. H., S. H. Zhao, C. Bian, H. S. Wang, H. Wei, B. Liu, M. Yu, B. Fan and S. L. Chen. 2002. Genetic relationships among twelve chinese indigenous goat populations based on microsatellite analyses. Genetics Selection Evolution 34:729-744. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-34-6-729
- Luikart, G., M.-P. Biju-Duval, O. Ertugrul, Y. Zagdsuren, C. Maudet and P. Taberlet. 1999. Power of 22 microsatellite markers in flourescent multiplexes for parentage testing in goats (capra hircus). Anim. Genet. 30:431-438. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1999.00545.x
- Luikart, G., L. Gielly, L. Excoffier, J. Vigne, J. Bouvet and P. Taberlet. 2001. Multiple maternal origins and weak phylogeographic structure in domestic goats. Proceedings of the National Academy of the Sciences 98:5927-5932. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.091591198
- Mannen, H., M. Kohno, Y. Nagata, S. Tsuji, D. G. Bradley, J. S. Yeo, D. Naymsamba, Y. Zagdsuren, M. Yokohama, K. Nomura and T. Amano. 2004. Independent mitochondrial origin and historical genetic differentiation in north eastern asian cattle. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 32:539-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2004.01.010
- Nei, M. 1978. Estimation of average heterozygosity and genetic distance from a small number of individuals. Genetics 89:583-590.
- Nyamsamba, D., K. Nomura, K. Nozawa, M. Yokhama, Y. Zagdsuren and T. Amano. 2003. Genetic relationship among mongolian native goat populations estimated by blood protein polymorphism. Small Rumin. Res. 47:171-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(02)00276-6
- Ota, T. 1993. Dispan: Genetic distance and phylogenetic analysis. Retrieved on the 6th of January, 2006 from http://mep.bio.psu.edu/readme.html
- Promega. 2001. Fmol DNA cycle sequencing system: Technical manual. Promega Co-op. Retrieved on the 10th of January, 2004 from http://www.promega.com/
- Raymond, M. and F. Rousset. 1995. Genepop (version 1.2): Population genetics software for exact tests and ecumenicism. Journal of Heredity 86:248-249. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jhered.a111573
- Saitbekova, N., C. Gaillard, G. Obexer-Ruff and G. Dolf. 1999. Genetic diversity in swiss goat breeds based on microsatellite analyses. Anim. Genet. 30:36-41. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2052.1999.00429.x