- Volume 21 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Gamma Irradiation on Anti Nutritional Factors and Nutritional Value of Canola Meal for Broiler Chickens
- Gharaghani, Hossein (Department of Animal Science, University of Tehran) ;
- Zaghari, Mojtaba (Department of Animal Science, University of Tehran) ;
- Shahhosseini, Gholamreza (School of Agriculture, Medicine and Industry, Nuclear Science and Technology Institute) ;
- Moravej, Hossein (Department of Animal Science, University of Tehran)
- Received : 2008.01.25
- Accepted : 2008.05.28
- Published : 2008.10.01
Two completely randomized block design experiments were conducted to evaluate the effect of gamma irradiation processing of canola meal on performance parameters of broiler chicks (Ross 308) and protein quality of canola meal. Protein efficiency ratio (PER) and net protein ratio (NPR) were measured as indices of canola meal protein quality. Samples of canola meal were tested for nutritional value after being irradiated at dose levels 10, 20 and 30 kGy. Glucosinolate content was reduced 40, 70 and 89 percent at irradiation dose levels of 10, 20 and 30 kGy respectively (p<0.01). Percent of erucic acid in total fatty acid content increased 44, 58 and 48% as a function of radiation dose (p<0.01). Dose levels did not affect feed conversion ratio (FCR) and body weight gain of chicks (p>0.05). Liver weight was decreased by irradiation dose (p<0.05). The same trend was observed for kidney weights, but this trend was not significant (p>0.05). Gamma irradiation processing of canola meal had no significant effect on
Canola Meal;Gamma Irradiation;Performance;Glucosinolate;Erucic Acid;Chickens
- Vidal-Valverde, C., G. Frias, I. Estrella, M. G. Gorospe, R. Ruiz and J. Bacon. 1994. Effect of processing on some antinutritional factors of lentils. J. Agric. Food Chem. 42: 2291-2295. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00046a039
- Zamora, R. G. and J. L. Veum. 1979. The nutritive value of dehulled soybeans fermented with Aspergillus oryzae or Rhizopus oligosporus as evaluated by rats. J. Nutr. 109:1333- 1338. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/109.7.1333
- Summers, D. J., H. S. Baily, W. F. Pepper and S. J. Slinger. 1969. The value of rapeseed meal for growing pullets and laying hens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 49:97-103. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas69-014
- Thorne, S. 1991. Food irradiation. London: Elsevier applied science.
- Trevino, J., M. L. Rodriguez, L. T. Ortiz, A. Rebole and C. Alzuela. 2000. Protein quality of linseed for growing broiler chicks. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 84:155-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00128-0
- Urbano, G., M. Lopez-Jurado, J. Hernandez, M. Fernandez, M-E. Moreu, J. Frias, C. Diaz-Pollan, M. Prodanov, Vidal-Valverde and C. Prodanov. 1995. Nutritional assessment of raw, heated and germinated lentils. J. Agric. Food Chem. 43:1871-1877. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00055a022
- Sattar, A., X. Neelofar and M. A. Akhtar. 1990. Irradiation and germination effects on phytate, protein and amino acids of soybean. Plant Foods Hum. Nut. 40:185-194. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01104141
- Sefa-Dedh, S., D. W. Stanley and P. W. Voisey. 1979. Effect of storage time and conditions on the hard to cook defect in cowpeas (vigna unguiculate). J. Food Sci. 44:790-796. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb08503.x
- NRC (National Research Council). 1994. Nutrient requirements of poultry. No. 1, 8th ed., National Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Parsons, C. M., K. Hashimoto, K. J. Wedekind, Y. Han and D. H. Baker. 1992. Effect of over processing on availability of amino acids and energy in soybean meal. Poult. Sci. 71:133-140. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0710133
- Rao, V. S. and U. K. Vakil. 1983. Effects of gamma-irradiation on flatulence-causing oligosccharides in green gram (Phaseolus areus). J. Food Sci. 48:1791-1795. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb05086.x
- Ross. 2002. Broiler management manual, Aviagen Limited, Newbridge, Midlothin EH28 8SZ, Scotland, UK.
- Saini, H. S. and N. Wratten. 1987. Quantitative determination of total glucosinolates in rapeseed and meal digests. J. Assoc. Anal. Chem. 70:141-145.
- SAS. 2001. SAS/STAT User's Guide, 2001, Released 8.02 Edn. SAS Institute Inc. Cary, NC.
- Jood, S., U. Mehta, R. Singh and C. M. Bhat. 1985. Effect of processing on flatus producing factors in legumes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 33:268-271. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00062a028
- Karunajaeewa, H., E. G. Ijagbuji and R. L. Reece. 1990. Effect of dietary levels of rapeseed meal and poly ethylene glycol on the performance of male broiler chickens. Br. Poult. Sci. 31:545- 555. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669008417286
- Leeson, S., J. O. Atteh and J. D. Summers. 1987. The replacement value of canola meal for soy bean meal in poultry diets. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 67:151-158. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas87-017
- McLaughlin, W. L., H. Jia, Wenxiu Chen and J. C. Humphreys. 1985. Response of radio chromic film dosimeter to gamma rays in different atmospheres. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 25:793. https://doi.org/10.1016/0146-5724(85)90160-8
- Molins, R. A. 2001. Food irradiation: principles and applications. New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Newkirk, R. W., H. L. Classen and M. J. Edney. 2003. Effects of prepress-solvent extraction on the nutritional value of canola meal for broiler chickens. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 104:11-119.
- Nnanna, I. A. and R. D. Phillips. 1990. Protein and starch digestibility and flatulence potential of germinated cowpeas (vigna unguiculate). J. Food Sci. 55:151-153. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1990.tb06039.x
- Gampbell, G. L., H. L. Classen, R. D. Reichert and I. D. Gampbell. 1983. Improvement of the nutritive value of rye for broiler chickens by gamma irradiation-induced viscosity reduction. Br. Poult. Sci. 24:205-211. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668308416731
- Ghazy, M. A. 1990. Effect of g-irradiation on some antinutritional factors in kidney bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) seeds. Minia J. Agric. Res. Develop. 12:1965-1980.
- Hammer, C. T. and E. D. Wills. 1979. The effect of ionizing radiation on the fatty acid composition of natural fats and on lipids peroxide formation. Int. J. Radat. Bio. 35(4):323-332. https://doi.org/10.1080/09553007914550391
- International organization for standardization 2000. Animal and vegetable fats and oils- preparation of methyl esters of fatty acids (ISO 5509: 2000).
- Ismail, Y. and G. Umit. 2007. Effect of gamma irradiation on tans fatty acid composition in ground beef. Food Cont. 18:635-638. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2006.02.009
- Farag, M. D. E. H. 1989. Radiation deactivation of antinutritional factors: trypsin inhibitor and hemagglutinin in soybeans. Egyp. J. Radiat. Sci. Applic. 6:207-215.
- Farag, M. D. E. H. 1998. The nutritive value for chicks of full-fat soybeans irradiated at up to 60 kGy. Anim. Feed Sci. Tech. 73: 319-328. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00148-5
- Farkas, J. 1988. Irradiation of dry food ingredients. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Food and drug administration 1981. Irradiation in the production, processing, and handling of food; final rule. 21 CFR Part 179. Federal Register 51:13376-13399.
- Fenwick, G., E. Spinks, A. Wilkinson, R. Heaney and M. Legoy. 1986. Effect of processing on the antinutritient content of rapeseed. J. Sci. Food Agric. 37:735-741. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740370805
- Ismail, F. A. and A. Z. Osman. 1976. Improvement in digestibility of broad bean (vicia faba) by gamma irradiation. Istp. Radiat. Res. 8:17-22.
- Bell, M. 1984. Nutrient and toxicants in rapeseed meal. A Review. J. Anim. Sci. 58:996-1010. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1984.584996x
- Bell, M. 1993. Factors affecting the nutritional value of canola meal: a review. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 73:679-697.
- Diehl, J. F. 2002. Food irradiation-past, present and future. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 63:211-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(01)00622-3
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- El-Morsi, E. A., H. S. Abdel-Salam, H. A. Ismail, S. A. Aboul- Fetouh and A. M. Fawzay. 1992. Effect of gamma irradiation on trypsin inhibitor and subunit structure of proteins in field bean (Vicia faba) seeds during germination. Minia J. Agric. Res. Develop. 14:849-871.
- El-Niely, H. F. G. 1996. Chemical constituents and digestibility of broad beans subjected to irradiation treatment. MSc thesis, Women's College, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.
- Abu-Tarboush, H. M. 1998. Irradiation inactivation of some antinutritional factors in plant seeds. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46: 2698-2702. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980102x
- Al-Kahtani, H. A. 1995. Some antinutritional factors in Moringa pregrina (Al-Yassar or Al-ban) and soybean products. J. Food Sci. 60:395-398. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb05680.x
- Al-Kaisey, M. T., T. R. Al-Hadithi and B. A. A. Sahead. 1997. Changes in vicine, convicine and oligosaccharides contents during germination of broad bean. Mu'tah J. Res. Stud. 12(1): 327-345.
- Al-Kaisey, M. T., M. A. Mohammed, A. K. H. Alvan and M. H. Mohammed. 2002. The effect of gamma irradiation on the viscosity of two barley cultivars for broiler chicks. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 63:295-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(01)00587-4
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, Procedure 960.52, 15th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington.
- Chiasson, R. B. and P. J. Sharp. 1979. Effect of rapeseed meal and methimazole on levels of plasma hormones in growing broiler cockerels. Poult. Sci. 58:1575-1583. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0581575
- International organization for standardization 1990. Animal and vegetable fats and oils- analysis by gas chromatography of methyl esters of fatty acids (ISO 5508: 1990).
- Mahrous, S. R. 1992. Effect of some treatments on some toxic compounds present in foods. PhD thesis, Faculty of Agriculture, Cairo University, Egypt.
- Ramesh, K. R., G. Devegowda and H. Khosravinia. 2006. Effects of enzyme addition to broiler diets containing varying levels of double zero rapeseed meal. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 19:1354- 1360. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.1354
- Siddhuraju, P., H. P. S. Makkar and K. Becker. 2002. The effect of ionizing radiation on antinutritional factors and the nutritional value of plant materials with reference to human and animal food. Food Chem. 78:185-205.
- ) vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/are.12651
- Effect of radiation on chemical composition and protein quality of cottonseed meal vol.88, pp.9, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12784
- Growth performance, morphometric analysis of the intestinal mucosa and thyroid of broiler fed canola meal vol.70, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1678-4162-9080