- Volume 21 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Genetic and Phenotypic Parameter Estimates of Body Weight at Different Ages and Yearling Fleece Weight in Markhoz Goats
- Rashidi, A. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Kurdistan) ;
- Sheikahmadi, M. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Kurdistan) ;
- Rostamzadeh, J. (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Kurdistan) ;
- Shrestha, J.N.B. (Agriculture et and Agri-Food Canada, Dairy and Swine R&D Centre)
- Received : 2007.12.25
- Accepted : 2008.04.23
- Published : 2008.10.01
The objective of the present study was to estimate genetic parameters for economic traits in Markhoz goats. Data collected from 1993 to 2006 by the Markhoz goat Performance Testing Station in Sanandaj, Iran, were analyzed. The traits recorded as body weight performance at birth (BW), weaning (WW), six month (6MW), nine month (9MW), yearling (YW) and yearling fleece weight (YFW) were investigated. Least square analyses were used for estimation of environmental effects. Genetic parameters were estimated with single and multi trait analysis using restricted maximum likelihood (REML) procedures, under animal models. By ignoring or including maternal additive genetic effects and maternal permanent environmental effects, five different models were fitted for each trait. The effects of sex, type of birth, age of dam and year of birth on the all body weights were significant (p<0.01), but had no effects on YFW except year of birth. Age of kids had significant influences on WW and 6MW (p<0.01). A log likelihood ratio test was carried out for choosing the most suitable model for each trait. Total heritability estimates for YFW and growth traits varied from 0.16 for YFW and WW to 0.41 for YW. For all traits, maternal heritability was lower than direct heritability, ranging from 0.06 for BW to 0.01 for 6MW and 9MW. The magnitude of
Markhoz Goat;Body Weight;Mohair;Heritability;Genetic Correlations
- Horst, P., A. Vall-Zarate, H. Gunes and B. C. Yalcin. 1993. Growth rate and wool production of crossbred progeny from Turkish and North American Angora goat. Anim. Res. Develop. :92- 99.
- Koratkar, D. P., V. K. Patil and V. S. Narawade. 1990. Mohair production in Angora and crossbred goats. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 60:1010-1012.
- Meyer, K. 2000. DFREML Version 3.1: User notes.
- Gerstmayr, S. and P. Horst. 1995. Estimate of performance traits in Turkish Angora goats. Small Rumin. Res. 16:141-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(95)00631-T
- Gifford, D. R., R. W. Ponzoni, J. Burr and R. J. Lampe. 1990. Environmental effects on fleece and body traits of South Australian Angora goat. Small Rumin. Res. 3:249-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(90)90042-5
- Gifford, D. R., R. W. Ponzoni, R. J. Lampe and J. Burr. 1991. Phenotypic and genetic parameters of fleece traits and live weight in South Australian Angora goats. Small Rumin. Res. 4:293-302. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(91)90153-H
- Gunes, H., P. Horst, M. Evrim and A. Vall-Zarate. 2002. Studies on improvement of the productivity of Turkish Angora goats by crossing with South African Angora goats. Small Rumin. Res. 45:115-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(02)00090-1
- Allain, D. and J. M. Roguet. 2003. Genetic and nongenetic factors influencing mohair production traits within the national selection scheme of Angora goats in France. Small Rumin. Res. 82:129-137.
- Al-Shorepy, S. A., G. A. Alhadrami and K. Abdulwahab. 2002. Genetic and phenotypic parameters for early growth traits in Emirat goat. Small Rumin. Res. 45:217-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(02)00110-4
- Bosso, N. A., M. F. Cisse, E. H. van der Waaij, A. Fall and J. A. M. van Arendonk. 2007. Genetic and phenotypic parameters of body weight in West African Dwarf goat and Djallonke sheep. Small Rumi. Res. 67:271-278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.11.001
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multiple F-tests. Biomerics. 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Gerstmayr, S., H. Haussman and W. Schlote. 1989. Estimation of variance component with at animal model including maternal effects. 40th Annual Meeting of the EAAP, 27-31 August, Dublin.
- Gerstmayr, S., H. Haussman and W. Schlote. 1992. Estimation of variance component for final and maternal effects in Turkish Angora goats. J. Anim. Breed. Gene. 109:252-263. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.1992.tb00404.x
- Nicoll, G. B. 1985. Estimates of environmental effects and some genetic parameters for weaning weight and fleece weights of young Angora goats. Proc. NZ Soc. Anim. Prod. 45:217-219.
- Nicoll, G. B., M. L. Bigham and M. J. Alderton. 1989. Estimates of environmental effects and genetic parameters for live weights and fleece traits of Angora goats. Proc. NZ Soc. Anim. Prod. 49:183-189.
- Rashidi, A. 2000. Genetic evaluation of economic traits in Markhoz goats. Ph.D. Thesis, Tarbiat Moddares University, Tehran, Tehran.
- Wenzhong, Liu, Y. Zhang and Z. Zhou. 2005. Adjustment for nongenetic effects on body weight and size in Angora goats. Small Rumin. Res. 59:25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.11.006
- Willham, R. L. 1972. The role of maternal effects in animals breeding: III. Biometrical aspects of maternal effects in animals. J. Anim. Sci. 35(6):1288-1293. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1972.3561288x
- Yalcin, B. C., P. Horst, S. Gerstmayr and T. Oztan. 1989. Research on the breeding of Angora goats in Turkey. Anim. Res. Develop. 30:25-35.
- Zeder, M. and B. Hesse. 2000. Old goat in transition. http//www.mnh.si.edu/highlight/goat/
- Shelton, M. and G. Snowder. 1983. Some genetic parameter estimates for Angora goats. 4171 Texas Agric. Stat. Report. pp. 165-173.
- Snyman, M. A. and J. J. Olivier. 1996. Genetic parameters for body weight, fleece weight and fiber diameter in South African Angora goats. Livest. Prod. Sci. 47:1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(96)01005-6
- Taddeo, H. R., D. Allain, J. Mueller, H. Rochambeau and E. Manfredi. 1998. Genetic parameter estimates of production traits of Angora goats in Argentina. Small Rumin. Res. 28:217- 223. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(97)00094-1
- Taddeo, H. R., D. Allain, J. Mueller and H. Rochambeau. 1998. Factors affecting fleece traits of Angora goat in Argentina. Small Rumi. Res. 28:293-298. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(97)00091-6
- Rashidi, A. 2006. Genetic analysis on fleece traits of colour coated Markhoz goats in Kurdistan. Proc. Bsas Conferance. York University, UK. p. 98.
- Rashidi, A., M. Ramazanian and R. Vaez Torshizi. 2006. Genetic parameter estimates for growth traits and fleece weight in Markhoz goats. Proc. 8th World Cong. on Genetics Appl. to livest. Prod. Bilohorizenteh, Brazil.
- Said, S. I., F. S. Badawi and A. A. Alrawi. 1990. Comparison of white and brown Angora goat with respect to live weight. Proc. 4th World Cong. On Genetic Appl. To Livest. Prod. 15:201-204.
- SAS Institute 1989. SAS User's Guide, Version 6, Vol. 2, 4th Edition. GLM-VARCOMP. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Shelton, M. and G. W. Basset. 1970. Estimates of certain genetic parameter relating to Angora goat. 2570 Texas Agric. Res. Report. pp. 38-41.
- Yalcin, B. C. 1982. Angora goat breeding. Proc. Of the 3th International Conference on goat production and disease. Tucson, AZ, Arizona. pp. 269-278.
- Estimates of (co)variance components and genetic parameters for growth traits in Sirohi goat vol.43, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-010-9673-4
- Effects of flushing and hormonal treatment on reproductive performance of Iranian Markhoz goats vol.96, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2011.01234.x
- Genetic parameter estimates for growth traits and prolificacy in Raeini Cashmere goats vol.44, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-011-0059-z
- Genetic parameter estimates for early growth traits in Naeini goat vol.52, pp.11, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN12045
- Genetic and phenotypic parameter estimates for growth traits of Hainan Black goat in southern China vol.55, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN12228