- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effect of Maternal Under-nutrition during Late Pregnancy on Lamb Birth Weight
- Gao, F. (College of Animal Science and Medicine, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University) ;
- Hou, X.Z. (College of Animal Science and Medicine, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University) ;
- Liu, Y.C. (College of Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University) ;
- Wu, S.Q. (College of Animal Science and Medicine, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University) ;
- Ao, C.J. (College of Animal Science and Medicine, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University)
- Received : 2007.04.01
- Accepted : 2007.09.29
- Published : 2008.03.01
This study investigated the effects of maternal undernutrition during late pregnancy on lamb birth weight. 45 Mongolian ewes, synchronized for oestrus and then mated, were divided into four groups and offered 0.86 MJME/kgw-0.75d-1 (control group; CG : ad libitum access to feed),
Late Pregnancy;Ewe;Undernutrition;Lamb Birth Weight
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation (NSFC)
- Hornick, J. L., C. Van Eenaeme, A. Clinquart, M. Diez and L. Istasse. 1998. Different periods of feed restriction before compensatory growth in Belgian blue bulls: Plasma metabolites and hormones. J. Anim. Sci. 76:260-271. https://doi.org/10.2527/1998.761260x
- Gluckman, P. D. and M. Hanson. 2004. Developmental Origins of Disease Paradigm: A Mechanistic and Evolutionary Perspective. Review. Pediatric Research 56:311-317. https://doi.org/10.1203/01.PDR.0000135998.08025.FB
- Hayden, J. M., J. E. Williams and R. J. Collier. 1993. Plasma growth hormone, insulin like growth factor, insulin, and thyroid hormone association with body protein and fat accretion in steers undergoing compensatory gain after dietary energy restriction. J. Anim. Sci. 71:3327-3338. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.71123327x
- Chilliard, Y., F. Bocquier and M. Doreau. 1998. Digestive and metabolic adaptations of ruminants to undernutrition and consequence on reproduction. Reproduction, Nutrtion, Development. 38:131-152. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:19980201
- Freetly, H. C. and C. L. Ferrell. 1997. Oxygen consumption by and blood flow across the portal-drained viscera and liver of pregnant ewes. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1950-1955. https://doi.org/10.2527/1997.7571950x
- Brockman, R. P. and B. Laarveld. 1986. Hormone regulation of metabolism in ruminants: a review. Live Stock Production Science 14:313-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(86)90012-6
- Aziz, N. N., D. M. Murray and R. Ball. 1992. The effect of live weight gain and live weight loss on body composition of Merino wethers: Dissected muscle, fat, and bone. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1819-1828. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7061819x
- Barker, D. J. P. 1999. The long term outcome of retarded fetal growth. Schweiz Med Wochenschr. 129:189-196.
- NRC. 1985. Nutrient Requirements of Sheep (6th Revised Ed.). National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
- Ma, Q. W., D. F. Liu, T. G. Ao and H. Meng. 1988. Research on the relationship between supply and need of herbage to grazing sheep in winter in the desert steppe of Inner Mongolia. Chinese Journal of Grassland 4:37-41.
- McMillen, I. C., C. L. Coulter, M. B. Adams, J. T. Ross, G. Simonetta, J. S. Robinson and L. J. Edwards. 2001. Fetal growth restriction: adaptations and consequences. Reprod. 122:195-204. https://doi.org/10.1530/rep.0.1220195
- Ponter, A. A., C. Douar, J. P. Mialot, H. Benoit-Valiergue and B. Grimard. 2000. Effect of underfeeding postpartum charolais beef cows on composition plasma non-esterified fatty acids. Anim. Sci. 71:243-252. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800055077
- Robinson, J. J. 1977. The influence of maternal nutrition on ovine foetal growth Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 36:9-16. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS19770003
- Yambayamba, E. S. K., M. A. Price and G. R. Foxcroft. 1996. Hormonal status, metabolic changes, and resting metabolic rate in beef heifers undergoing compensatory growth. J. Anim. Sci. 74:57-69. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74157x
- Sibanda, L. M. 1999. Effects of a low plan of nutrition during pregnancy and lactation on the performance of matebele does and their kids. Small Ruminant Research 32:243-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(98)00191-6
- Shu, P. C. 2003. Study on partitioning of proteins (Amino acids) in white cashmere goats fed diets with different dietary metabolizable glucose levels. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. Huhhot. Inner Mongolia Agriculture University. pp. 6-30.
- Robinson, J. J., K. D. Sinclair and T. G. McEvoy. 1999. Nutritional effects on foetal growth. Anim. Sci. 68:315-331. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800050323
- Ryan, W. J., I. H. Williams and R. J. Moir. 1993. Compensatory growth in sheep and cattle. II. Changes in body composition and tissue weights. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 44:1623-1633. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9931623
- Assan, N. and S. M. Makuza. 2005. The effect of non-genetic factors on birth weight and weaning weight in three sheep breeds of Zimbabwe. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18(2):151-157. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.151
- Cam, M. A. and M. Kuran. 2004. Shearing pregnant ewes to improve lamb birth weight increases milk yield of ewes and lamb weaning weight. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17(12):1669- 1673. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1669
- Khan, J. R. and R. S. Ludri. 2002. Changes in maternal blood glucose and plasma non-esterified fatty acid during pregnancy and around parturition in twin and single fetus bearing crossbred goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 15(4):504-508. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2002.504
- Lu, D. X. 1997. Nutritional problems in the sheep industry in china. Inner Mongolian Journal of Animal Science and Production (Supp). 96-103.
- Effects of maternal undernutrition during late gestation and/or lactation on colostrum synthesis and immunological parameters in the offspring vol.28, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1071/RD14147
- Effect of prepartum maternal energy density on the growth performance, immunity, and antioxidation capability of neonatal calves vol.95, pp.8, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2011-5087