- Volume 21 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Different Raising Techniques on In vivo Performance and Carcass and Meat Traits of Ischia Grey Rabbit
Bovera, Fulvia;Di Meo, Carmelo;Nizza, Sandra;Piccolo, Giovanni;Nizza, Antonino
- 투고 : 2008.01.10
- 심사 : 2008.04.16
- 발행 : 2008.09.01
One-hundred and twenty Ischia grey rabbits, traditionally raised in pits, were equally divided after weaning (32 days) into three groups: group C, housed in cages (4 rabbits/cage) and fed a commercial concentrate; group GF, housed as C group and fed grasses collected on the island and crushed faba beans supplemented with an appropriate mineral vitamin mix; group P, housed in pits (8 rabbits/pit) and fed as GF group. Feed intake was recorded daily and live weight monthly up to slaughter (92 days). At slaughter, 10 rabbits per group were used to measure carcass and meat traits. The carcasses were weighed and measured according to the standard procedures and meat samples from the Longissimus dorsi and left hind leg were analysed for water holding capacity and chemical composition, respectively. During the entire trial, group C consumed significantly (p<0.01) a higher quantity of feed than the other groups (126.1 vs. 63.4 and 66.5 g/d, resp. for groups C, GF and P) and at slaughter showed a significantly (p<0.01) higher body weight (2,529.7 vs. 1,324.4 and 1,375.4 g, resp. for groups C, GF and P). Significant differences (p<0.01) were found also for dressing out percentage (68.6 vs. 66.6 and 66.9%, resp. for groups C, GF and P) and for meat chemical composition, in particular lipid percentage (4.13 vs. 1.84 and 1.93%, resp., for groups C, GF and P, p<0.01) and moisture (73.7 vs. 76.4 and 76.3%, resp. for groups C, GF and P, p<0.01). The results suggest the opportunity to obtain heavier animals raised in the pits if their diets were integrated with commercial feed.
Ischia Grey Rabbit;Raising Technique;Carcass Characteristics;Meat Quality
- Pignattelli, P. and G. Sommi. 2001. Quali allevamenti avicoli alternativi e quali controlli. In: Proceeding of the 39th WPSA Congress, Forli: http://www.wpsa.it/Docs/SommiPignattelli. pdf
- SAS Institute Inc. 2000. SAS/STAT User's Guide: version 8.1, edn. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, North Carolina.
- Wheeler, T. L., J. W. Savell, H. R. Cross, D. K. Lunt and S. B. Smith. 1990. Effect of post mortem treatments on the tenderness of meat from Hereford, Brahman and Brahmancross beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 68:3677-3686. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68113677x
- Xiccato, G 1989. Quale sistema energetico peril coniglio. Professione allevatore. 2: 1-8.
- Parigi-Bini, R., G. Xiccato, M. Cinetto, A. Dalle Zotte and R. Converso. 1992. Effetto dell'eta, del peso di macellazione e del sesso sulla qualita della carcassa e della carne cunicola. 1. Rilievi di macellazione e qualità della carcassa. Zoot. Nutr. Anim. 18:157-172.
- Piattoni, F., L. Maertens and D. Mazzoni. 1998. Effect of weaning age and solid feed distribution before weaning on performance and caecal traits of young rabbits. In: Proceeding of the 2nd International Conference on Rabbit Production in Hot Climates, Adana (Turkey):85-91.
- Piccolo, G., F. Bovera, C. Di Meo, M. P. Gazaneo and A. Nizza. 2005. Performance of suckling rabbits fed a low fibre concentrate. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18: 1421-1424. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.1421
- Parigi-Bini, R. and G. Xiccato. 1998. Energy metabolism and requirements. In: The Nutrition of the Rabbit (Ed. De Blas and Wiseman). CABI Publishing. 103-131.
- Lundstrom, K. and G. Malmfors. 1985. Variation in light scattering and Water-holding capacity along the porcine Longissimus dorsi muscle. Meat Sci. 15:203-214. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(85)90076-2
- Nizza, A. and M. Barbato. 2003. Il coniglio di fosso dell'isola d'Ischia. Rivista di coniglicoltura 5:40-42.
- Nizza, A., C. Di Meo, G. Stanco and M. I. Cutrignelli. 2001. Influence of solid feed intake and age at weaning on caecal content characteristics and post-weaning performance. In: Proceeding of Workshop Nutrition and Pathology, Godollo. 47.
- Gault, N. F. S. 1985. The relationship between water-holding capacity and cooked meat tenderness in some beef muscles as influenced by acidic conditions below the ultimate pH. Meat Sci. 15:13-30.
- Gidenne, T., A. Lapanouse and L. Fortun-Lamothe. 2004. Feeding strategy for the early weaned rabbit: interest of a high energy and protein starter diet on growth and health status. In: Proceeding of the 8th World Rabbit Congress, Puebla, Mexico. 853-860.
- Grau, R. and R. Hamm. 1957. Fleischwirts, 6, 36. Cit. from GRAD R. 1978. Carne e prodotti carnei. Edagricole, Bologna.
- D' Agata, M., G. Pace, C. Russo, G. Prezioso and C. Bibbiani. 2007. Effect of rearing tachnique in outdoor floor cage on slow growing rabbit population performance. Italian. J. Anim. Sci. 6 (Suppl. 1):758-760.
- Di Meo, C., M. P. Gazaneo, C. Racca, F. Bovera, G. Piccolo and A. Nizza. 2004. Effect of birth weight and litter size on productive performance of rabbits. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1158-1161. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1158
- Di Meo, C., F. Bovera, S. Marono, N. Vella and A. Nizza. 2007. Effect of feed restriction on performance and feed digestibility in rabbits. Italian. J. Anim. Sci. 6 (Suppl. 1 ):765-767.
- Bovera, F., C. Di Meo, G. Piccolo, P. Co1atruglio and A. Nizza. 2005. Il coniglio di fosso dell'isola d'Ischia: indagine preliminare sulle caratteristiche delle carcasse e delle carni. Rivista di Coniglicoltura 3:42-45.
- Bovera, F., C. Di Meo, C. Barone, M. P. Gazaneo, S. Taranto and A. Nizza. 2004. A survey on carcass and meat characteristics of Ischia rabbits raised in pits. In: Proceeding of the 8th World Rabbit Congress, Puebla, Mexico. 1366-1371.
- Chang, Y., Y. Qin, Y. Xiong, Y. Du and Q. Meng. 2007. Response of growth performance, cecal fermentation traits and in vitro gas production to substitution of soyhulls for lignified fiber in rabbit diets. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 20:45-51.
- AOAC. 1984. Official Methods of Analysis. 14th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC.
- Blasco, A., J. Ouhayoun and G. Masoero. 1992. Study of rabbit and meat carcass. Criteria and terminology. J. Appl. Rabbit Res. 15:775-786.
- Xiccato, G, M. Bernardini, C. Castellini, A. Dalle Zotte, P. I. Queaque and A. Trocino. 1999. Effect of post weaning feeding on the performance and energy balance of female rabbits at different physiological status. J. Anim. Sci. 77:416-426. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.772416x